Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its my own fault for mixing and matching parts really, im running a BCS 100 Cel sports cat, mid pipe and a 'bob williams modified backbox'.

Since fitting the sports cat it now just sounds like a rough running diesel on low revs, up high its not too bad but a hell of a lot raspier, also getting bad drone about 2k rpm.

I dont have any cash for a while for any further changes otherwise id get the BCS cat back urgh.

Do you think it will sound any better with the stock backbox put back on? The modified one has the resonator holes in the backbox covered over i believe to make it louder/deeper.

Is anyone running a sports cat, mid pipe and stock backbox??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Its my own fault for mixing and matching parts really, im running a BCS 100 Cel sports cat, mid pipe and a 'bob williams modified backbox'.

Since fitting the sports cat it now just sounds like a rough running diesel on low revs, up high its not too bad but a hell of a lot raspier, also getting bad drone about 2k rpm.

I dont have any cash for a while for any further changes otherwise id get the BCS cat back urgh.

Do you think it will sound any better with the stock backbox put back on? The modified one has the resonator holes in the backbox covered over i believe to make it louder/deeper.

Is anyone running a sports cat, mid pipe and stock backbox??
Hi mate,

Yep I'm running this exact set up, 100cell BCS sports cat, bsc res delete, stick back box woth m performace tips (just fitted the tips tonight).

Personally I think it sounds spot on, no drone, quite enough at slow speed to not tick my neighbours off but on WOT Sounds unreal! Perfect balance!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi mate,

Yep I'm running this exact set up, 100cell BCS sports cat, bsc res delete, stick back box woth m performace tips (just fitted the tips tonight).

Personally I think it sounds spot on, no drone, quite enough at slow speed to not tick my neighbours off but on WOT Sounds unreal! Perfect balance!
Aw brill hopefully swapping the backbox to standard will help then, i believe the modified backbox makes it almost a straight pipe.

So if you accelerate moderately, at 2k revs the car doesent have a really bassy tone thats uncomfortable? Mines fine cruising but under load/accelerating at 2k its quite unpleasant.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Aw brill hopefully swapping the backbox to standard will help then, i believe the modified backbox makes it almost a straight pipe.

So if you accelerate moderately, at 2k revs the car doesent have a really bassy tone thats uncomfortable? Mines fine cruising but under load/accelerating at 2k its quite unpleasant.
Hi mate,

Exactly that! No drone, no awfull vibrations, I can leave it in comfort on a morning and drive out of my estate at 5am and its absolutely fine under 2k, even when I leave the estate and put it on eco and set cruise to 60 it will accelerate slowly and you get a noce subtle tone.

Even accelatating yourself spirited it's great!

Then open her up in sports mode and hell breaks loose, but no where near as much to call it asbo or too aggressive! I have much burble settings to OTS and it can be a bit loud for me anyway so when I flash stage 2+ E30 tonight I've custom set them to 0.5 seconds and low aggression but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi mate,

Exactly that! No drone, no awfull vibrations, I can leave it in comfort on a morning and drive out of my estate at 5am and its absolutely fine under 2k, even when I leave the estate and put it on eco and set cruise to 60 it will accelerate slowly and you get a noce subtle tone.

Even accelatating yourself spirited it's great!

Then open her up in sports mode and hell breaks loose, but no where near as much to call it asbo or too aggressive! I have much burble settings to OTS and it can be a bit loud for me anyway so when I flash stage 2+ E30 tonight I've custom set them to 0.5 seconds and low aggression but that's just me.
Ive turned pops off completely as i just hate them haha. Desperate to get the stock backbox on now then!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just to add I’m also running the 100cel BCS sport cat alongside a BSC mid pipe with the stock back box. I have the anti drone version of the mid pipe and it sounds fantastic. No drone, quiet when driving moderately with the windows up and loud enough at full throttle with plenty of burble and the odd pop. I also have the fake bangs mapped out completely.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to add I’m also running the 100cel BCS sport cat alongside a BSC mid pipe with the stock back box. I have the anti drone version of the mid pipe and it sounds fantastic. No drone, quiet when driving moderately with the windows up and loud enough at full throttle with plenty of burble and the odd pop. I also have the fake bangs mapped out completely.
Nice and loud on w.o.t too?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice and loud on w.o.t too?
Plenty loud enough IMO but I do think exhaust tone and volume can be quite subjective. Yours should be louder with straight middle pipe that doesn’t have the drone eliminator.

Shouldn’t be too much of a hassle or expense to try a standard back box? Nige at BCS specifically told me to avoid combining a sport cat + res delete with either a MP or modded back box as it destroys the tone.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plenty loud enough IMO but I do think exhaust tone and volume can be quite subjective. Yours should be louder with straight middle pipe that doesn’t have the drone eliminator.

Shouldn’t be too much of a hassle or expense to try a standard back box? Nige at BCS specifically told me to avoid combining a sport cat + res delete with either a MP or modded back box as it destroys the tone.
Standard one going on tommorow yeh.

Fingers crossed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts