Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a set of roof racks for my 118i Sport (with sunroof). I've noticed a couple of threads here on roof racks, but I'm interested in whether to go BMW racks and bike carrier, or non-BMW. Thule make a BMW 1 series specific rack set, and having used Thule bike carriers in the past on other vehicles, I have great respect for their products. But then I've never used or even seen the BMW items. The cost of the BMW items might also be a worry, especially in Australia. I think the Thule items are about $300 AUD.

Are these fixed point racks easily installed/removed? I wouldn't want to leave the racks on as a permanent fixture.

Any comments (especially from Oz owners) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
dnyman, Rola also makes one for the 1er. I got the BMW original because they can carry more weight than Rola. I did not compare Thule as I don't know of it.

The original ones are well made and after the first installation, I can now mount/dismount them in about 5 minutes. (4 bolts) The package also comes with a "torque" screw driver so that you don't over tighten the bolt/screw.

Happy shopping. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks iwant1. Exactly the information I wanted. I just decided - the BMW racks are for me. Now all I've got to do is inform the finance manager :(

Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
I looked into the various options and went for the Thule in the end - price wise it was about the same as the BMW ones (which I thought were surprisingly affordable) but I can now use the bars and feet on our other car with a different fitting kit. My local dealer had the BMW bars and bike carrier on a car in the showroom, so I could get a good look at it before deciding. In quality terms I would say there's not much in it.

As said above, the fitting is easy and only touches the car under the plastic cover, which flaps up on a hinge so can't get lost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks weasley. I think I'm pretty much sold on the BMW item now, especially as the price is so surprisingly reasonable as you say.

Thanks everyone,
Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Dnyman,
I bought the BMW rack. I priced the Thule racks from Roof Carrier Systems in Bourke Rd, Camberwell and they were $280.00. The genuine racks from Menere's in Brighton cost me $326.00.
I bought the genuine item. They are easy to fit and come with the special tool.

Glenn

dnyman said:
I'm looking to purchase a set of roof racks for my 118i Sport (with sunroof). I've noticed a couple of threads here on roof racks, but I'm interested in whether to go BMW racks and bike carrier, or non-BMW. Thule make a BMW 1 series specific rack set, and having used Thule bike carriers in the past on other vehicles, I have great respect for their products. But then I've never used or even seen the BMW items. The cost of the BMW items might also be a worry, especially in Australia. I think the Thule items are about $300 AUD.

Are these fixed point racks easily installed/removed? I wouldn't want to leave the racks on as a permanent fixture.

Any comments (especially from Oz owners) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a set of racks for the 130i tomorrow. Does anybody know what options there are for attaching skis to the BMW racks vs the Thule? I'll be wanting bike attachments too, to accommodate MTB as well as road bikes. I have a preference for the style where you take the front wheel off.

Will the Thule option give me more flexibility?

Cheers..

Toby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I went with Thule in the end. For the price BMW wanted for the roof racks, I got Thule racks as well as the ski attachment. The Thule can also be used on other marques in future with a different adaptor kit for the feet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
FWIW I've got the Rola's.

Even without a load on your racks they still bugger your fuel consumption quite noticeably.

I've had them on for approx 18 months and have seen my fuel consumption go from under 6/100 up to 7.1/100.

I also drive from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast a few times per year and on the last trip (a few weeks ago, sans racks) my fuel consumption dropped to 5.1/100 for the 2100 klm round trip.

My drive is a 2007 120d.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread with my own questions, but I was about to start a new thread which is basically identical to this one!

I want to buy a roof rack for my 5-door 120d - I need to carry 2 mountain bikes this Friday, so I need to get a move on and make a decision! I've looked around and got the following prices for bars:

Halfords - £89.98
Thule 860 Aerobars - £164.97
Thule 760 - £127.97
BMW - £125.01

I am surprised at how cheap the BMW quote was! Anyway, the bit that will affect my decision is whether I can use a generic or Thule bike carrier with the BMW bars, or whether I will always have to use BMW parts if I go down the BMW route...

A friend can lend me some Thule bike carriers (ProRide 591 and FreeRide 530), which is why I am hesitating - it would save me from having to fork out additonal money for bike carriers if I can use his carriers with whatever bars I buy!

Thanks,

N
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
moralcrusader said:
A friend can lend me some Thule bike carriers (ProRide 591 and FreeRide 530), which is why I am hesitating - it would save me from having to fork out additonal money for bike carriers if I can use his carriers with whatever bars I buy!
You'll need to make sure that the bike carriers have an appropriate fitment for aerobars (if you choose those) or square bars. When I bought the ski attachment, it only included an attachment for square bars even though there was no mention of this on the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Webby said:
I've had them on for approx 18 months and have seen my fuel consumption go from under 6/100 up to 7.1/100.

I also drive from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast a few times per year and on the last trip (a few weeks ago, sans racks) my fuel consumption dropped to 5.1/100 for the 2100 klm round trip.

My drive is a 2007 120d.
My consumption between Sydney and Jindabyne averaged at 9.1/100 with the ski rack fitted. I wasn't driving for economy though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Tobias 40:15 said:
moralcrusader said:
A friend can lend me some Thule bike carriers (ProRide 591 and FreeRide 530), which is why I am hesitating - it would save me from having to fork out additonal money for bike carriers if I can use his carriers with whatever bars I buy!
You'll need to make sure that the bike carriers have an appropriate fitment for aerobars (if you choose those) or square bars. When I bought the ski attachment, it only included an attachment for square bars even though there was no mention of this on the box.
Forgot to provide an update!

The Thule square bars were absolutely fine with both of the bike carriers. Sturdy and easy to fit. Fuel economy with two bikes on the roof was shocking. I used 3/4 of a tank getting from London to S Wales and back... normally it would have been about half a tank.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top