Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyyy!

I currently own a BMW M135i (64 plate) with a 6.5inch NBT screen. I am wanting to upgrade it, whether this is Android or a Retrofit.

I am located in Newcastle, I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of someone local or near enough that I could go get one installed?

Cheeers!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Depends on what you want, if you want full factory integration then a headunit retrofit is the best option, particularly if you want Carplay.

If you need Android Auto and want a cheaper option, then an MMI or Android screen is better.

The main issue with all these screens and MMI units are that they use the Aux IN so the sound quality is poor IMHO (I have retrofitted many headunits).

Personally I think that OEM is the way to go because the quality is better but price is also a factor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wibbles said:
Depends on what you want, if you want full factory integration then a headunit retrofit is the best option, particularly if you want Carplay.

If you need Android Auto and want a cheaper option, then an MMI or Android screen is better.

The main issue with all these screens and MMI units are that they use the Aux IN so the sound quality is poor IMHO (I have retrofitted many headunits).

Personally I think that OEM is the way to go because the quality is better but price is also a factor.
Yeah that's the thing isn't it mate, the price difference. I have heard contrasting opinions on the AUX situation, some people say their Bluetooth still works as normal whereas others say they have to use the AUX and the quality ain't very good. I own an iPhone and was mainly bothered about CarPlay. If I bought a new screen with a new head unit it comes in at about £800 whereas I can pick up an android one for £300. Aaah stuck on what to do!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mine connects perfectly fine via Bluetooth.

Added a Vibe amp to my HK set up and chucked a sub woofer in the boot.

Sounds great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RBS Bob said:

Sounds great.
Which version of screen did you go for mate? As in where from. Some advertising as different quality etc but to me they all seem to be the same standard. Obviously I don't wanna dud from AliExpress 🤣

·
Registered
301 Posts
LewisStrat18 said:
RBS Bob said:

Sounds great.
Which version of screen did you go for mate? As in where from. Some advertising as different quality etc but to me they all seem to be the same standard. Obviously I don't wanna dud from AliExpress 🤣
This one https://bmods.co.uk/shop/bmw-androids/bmw-1-series-f20-and-f21-2011-2019-new-android-10/

If you email bmods they ask for a picture of your current screen and then they set up the new one so it works straight out of the box.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RBS Bob said:
LewisStrat18 said:
RBS Bob said:

Sounds great.
This one https://bmods.co.uk/shop/bmw-androids/bmw-1-series-f20-and-f21-2011-2019-new-android-10/

If you email bmods they ask for a picture of your current screen and then they set up the new one so it works straight out of the box.
Smashing mate thanks!
Think I'm gonna order on Monday, hope it's worth it &#x1f91e-1f3fd;

·
Registered
44 Posts
This one BMW 1 Series FALCON DISPLAY - Bayern Mods

I've looked at this to upgrade my 2012 125D. I want all the functionality of iDrive and steering controls too.

How's the speed of the unit? Does it turn on quickly or do you have to wait for it to boot? I had an android head unit in an early Z4 but it was a bit clunky and I don't want to repeat.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've looked at this to upgrade my 2012 125D. I want all the functionality of iDrive and steering controls too.

How's the speed of the unit? Does it turn on quickly or do you have to wait for it to boot? I had an android head unit in an early Z4 but it was a bit clunky and I don't want to repeat.
Probably takes about 20 seconds to fully boot up.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have just fitted an android 11 screen to mine, even though I had the pro nav screen already, boot up time is quick. I have the 8gb ram, 256gb storage version., expensive compared to other options, but worth the money

1 - 17 of 17 Posts