Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wondered for those that have replaced their front brake discs and front dampers, what did you go for? My front discs are quite worn and one of my front shock absorbers are weeping, so seems a good time to do both as a pair (front brake pads are pretty new).. (along with a top mount refresh etc whilst in there)

I was thinking of grabbing Bilstein B4's- am I right in thinking they're pretty oem? I don't want to change my ride height from how it is now. Is there two different versions, and if so which are for the LCI M-sport models?

Big thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's on 90,000 now so could be a good idea to be fair - which springs on these are essentially M-sport oem ride height? I really don't want to lower her anymore than she is now. I remember lowering my e30 on H&R springs and Bilstein shocks, and now finding it harder to figure out the right parts to stay stock haha! So B4 will be the same as m sport oem, that's good to know :)

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
B4 = SE spec
B4S = M-Sport spec

Part numbers for B4S (Bilstein call both the SE and M-Sport version "B4" just to confuse people, so buying the right part number is key) are in my post here :)

My M-Sport springs were so saggy by 90k that fitting Eibachs actually lifted the car rather than dropped it. If you measure from the centre of the wheel cap to the arch lip in mm, what are your ride heights at the moment?

If you have the struts apart, I'd highly recommend fitting BMWP bump stops and a set of THETYRANT's camber plates. The stops give you a noticeable improvement in comfort and compliance by allowing another 10mm of damper travel, the plates will give you a touch of front neg, removing the factory tendency to destroy the outer edge of tyres and improving handling.

·
Registered
60 Posts
She's on 90,000 now so could be a good idea to be fair - which springs on these are essentially M-sport oem ride height? I really don't want to lower her anymore than she is now. I remember lowering my e30 on H&R springs and Bilstein shocks, and now finding it harder to figure out the right parts to stay stock haha! So B4 will be the same as m sport oem, that's good to know :)
The best way to find the springs is to use the spring table here: «cats.parts» - Немецкая автомобильная марка из Баварии

You might need to change the model/year etc to yours to get the right options. From there you can put the BMW part number into Autodoc and find the equivalent Lesjofors spring.
For my car for example, it returns these for the front: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lesjofors/2258422?search=LESJÖFORS Coil Spring (4008474)
And these for the rear: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lesjofors/2260089?search=LESJÖFORS Coil Spring (4208464)

But you can also find the Sachs/Eibach p/n using this method as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B4 = SE spec
B4S = M-Sport spec

Part numbers for B4S (Bilstein call both the SE and M-Sport version "B4" just to confuse people, so buying the right part number is key) are in my post here :)

My M-Sport springs were so saggy by 90k that fitting Eibachs actually lifted the car rather than dropped it. If you measure from the centre of the wheel cap to the arch lip in mm, what are your ride heights at the moment?

If you have the struts apart, I'd highly recommend fitting BMWP bump stops and a set of THETYRANT's camber plates. The stops give you a noticeable improvement in comfort and compliance by allowing another 10mm of damper travel, the plates will give you a touch of front neg, removing the factory tendency to destroy the outer edge of tyres and improving handling.
Ah fab, thanks good to know with the B4S - Just been having a look through your thread now :) I'll check out my ride heights this afternoon, yea it does sit pretty low - any idea which springs are a direct replacement in terms of ride height? I guess where mine is sitting now (which I really like) is a crucial bit of info.

So the previous owner fitted M3 LCA's to it not long before I bought it, so wouldn't want to do camber plates etc too - though was going to refresh top mounts whilst struts are out so bump stop refresh or improvements a good idea - any recommendations without camber plates etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
B4 = SE spec
B4S = M-Sport spec

Okay, measured from centre to arch lip once I had it on level ground (our driveway is a slope)
Front Left - 34.4cm [64.6cm from the ground]
Front Right - 34cm [64cm from the ground]
Rear Left - 33.6cm [63.6cm from the ground]
Rear Right - 33cm [62.8cm from the ground]
Might be worth mentioning she's on 18" LE wheels, with 225/40/ZR18 on the front and 245/35/ZR18 on the rear. Popped some pictures below of the right height as is
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Wheel Vehicle Window Tire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts