Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I really need your help. :D
A very "special" guy decided to steal my side mirror (passenger side). I was lucky enough to find an used one in perfect condition.

I tried to remove the door panel, to replace the complete unit (motor, arm + mirror part). I found 4 screws already but It feels there is more before I try to remove the panel.

Do you know where I can find the remaining ? If you have access to a repair manual, It would be awesome !

Here is what I already found :

20220422_1831232.jpg

·
Registered
157 Posts
thekronos said:
Hi guys,

A very "special" guy decided to steal my side mirror (passenger side). I was lucky enough to find an used one in perfect condition.

I tried to remove the door panel, to replace the complete unit (motor, arm + mirror part). I found 4 screws already but It feels there is more before I try to remove the panel.

Do you know where I can find the remaining ? If you have access to a repair manual, It would be awesome !

20220422_1831232.jpg
Try this:

·
Registered
56 Posts
cjn said:
thekronos said:
Hi guys,

20220422_1831232.jpg
Try this:
Hello, may I know where can I find these diagrams ? As often these are helpful .

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to change the complete unit, but the miror motor seems faulty (joy of used parts).

The miror keeps going down and looks like it want to reset beyond mechanical constraints, then driver panel (glass commands / mirror adjusting buttons etc) stop working. As soon as I unplug the motor (part n° 7337844), driver command panel works again.

I ordered another motor 7337844, in hope it can be it.

Any idea ? Is there a calibration procedure ? I have an ODB cable and can install software.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Secretmsg said:
cjn said:
thekronos said:
Hi guys,

20220422_1831232.jpg
Try this:
Hello, may I know where can I find these diagrams ? As often these are helpful .

Thanks
Did you try the link immediately above your question?

·
Registered
157 Posts
thekronos said:
I was able to change the complete unit, but the miror motor seems faulty (joy of used parts).

The miror keeps going down and looks like it want to reset beyond mechanical constraints, then driver panel (glass commands / mirror adjusting buttons etc) stop working. As soon as I unplug the motor (part n° 7337844), driver command panel works again.

I ordered another motor 7337844, in hope it can be it.

Any idea ? Is there a calibration procedure ? I have an ODB cable and can install software.
I've never seen any reference to mirror calibration, although the manual refers to measuring the signal from the LIN bus - definitely something for the dealer!
You can physically tilt the mirror in any direction by pressing GENTLY on the edges for the glass. This might help if the mirror had been moved way beyond its normal position. Otherwise, sorry no idea.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Secretmsg said:
cjn said:
Secretmsg said:
Thanks
Did you try the link immediately above your question?
Yes , I am looking for other parts of car diagram.
Thanks
OK I understand.

Here's where I got the wiring diagram:

I got the workshop manual from the same place but they don't seem to have it at present. Just Google or search eBay for "BMW Series 1 F40 Workshop Manual".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, just to let you know, I think I got the wrong mirror assembly. I received a 6 PIN connector but mine support 5 PIN. I think it's not the same BUS or version, so that may explain why the unit looks defective and driver panel command is disabled (or scrambled).

Waiting for the other unit, I will keep posting updates in case someone have the same problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the new unit I received, everything works perfectly. My F40 is one of the first produced in europe. BMW changed the bus / software few months later.

So if you have to change yours, check how many pins have your mirror unit. For example, motor 7337847 has been replaced by 7337844.

connector.JPG

Thanks again cjn ! :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
thekronos said:
With the new unit I received, everything works perfectly. My F40 is one of the first produced in europe. BMW changed the bus / software few months later.
Excellent news, glad it all worked out. I'm about to remove door panels for speaker upgrades so I'm hoping I can follow the instructions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cjn said:
thekronos said:
Excellent news, glad it all worked out. I'm about to remove door panels for speaker upgrades so I'm hoping I can follow the instructions.
My advise would be to remove screws, then start by lifting from the bottom, so if you leave some marks, it will be not visible. Then as soon as u can squeeze your hands under the panel, use both hands to lift it. Clips are very strong, so just relax and apply some progressive strength. You should order replacement clips in case of one break : oem number 51411973500.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very strong is an understatement. This was much harder than removing the door cards on my previous F30 and Golf. I found the only way for most of them was to push a forked trim tool between the card and door and hit it hard enough to either break loose or to demolish the clip. Fortunately I had bought a bag of 20 clips and still had 7 left when I finished removing 30-odd clips on 4 doors. The one I got was the correct part for the F40, 07149136882 in blue plastic.

Buying the clips was a bit of an adventure. One UK supplier showed a single clip and a price of £7.50. I asked how many were in the pack and they said that they sold them singly! Three US suppliers were offering 3 clips for a few dollars plus $25 shipping. In the end I got 20 clips for £14, posted from Germany. Apart from finding one of the door's Torx screws had a chewed-up head (from the factory) and required drilling out, it was all just a normal PITA. Never again (I hope).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts