Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest something to use to shift those black brake dust spots that you get on the edges of the spokes.

I have used wheel cleaners and a wheel brush and even Megs stage 1 paint cleaner. The combination of these indeed shifted most of it but I still have a reasonable amound of spots visible. Can anyone suggest anything better to use?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
693 Posts
Try wonder wheels that should shift it or even a tar remover ucaliptus oil is a cheap tar remover if you have any lying around may shift the brake dust which could be tar :?:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use a toothbrush! Thats brilliang! Gets everything..

Ohh and remember to make sure the wheels are cooled down before you apply chemicals!
I totally ruined a nice set of Merc Avantgarde wheels.
I had been driving for a few hours straight, stopped at a car wash, got out of the car and sprayed wheel-clean on the hot wheels.
It burnt on! Couldn't get if off! The wheels still look terrible!

Oh well... Lesson's learnd!

Good luck!
Trond, Bergen

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm not really a fan of Wonder Wheels, I heard that it is really strong but can also ruin wheels

Will try a toothbrush though. It might be easier with a toothbrush than a wheel brush. I've shifted the majority of it, its just the very small amounts of residue that remains caked on.

Cheers for the suggestions. :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I use Megs wheel brightener (others available) on already stained wheels and rinse off. Tar remover on anything that does not budge, clay if further contamination is eveident. The trick is to apply a good wax/sealant when they are new that prevent this. I use Poorboys wheel sealant works for me, 2 coats 1 hour apart.

Good tip Trond_Bond, always apply to cool wheels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You must be like me bmwAK - I used to have OCD about the minute specks until I decided to clay my wheels. I was so amazed. I used bilt-hamber clay with Megs quick detailer and that got every last one off.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
T8mmo said:
I used to have OCD about the minute specks until I decided to clay my wheels. I was so amazed. I used bilt-hamber clay with Megs quick detailer and that got every last one off.
I have OCD too, I have just got back from a counselling session! :roll: I agree the bilt-hamber clay is excellent

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oooh, be quiet about that because if the better half finds out she will be asking for the councellors name and number!

"Are we going shopping yet love?" - "Nah, after 6 hours and the cost of that Zymol the car's off in the garage!" LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use autoglym wheel cleaner and that does the job for me. The wheels were filthy when I cleaned them yesterday and they are now sparkling bright.

I imagine it is worthwhile waxing the wheels after cleaning as the cleaners are really agressive and any protection will have been removed. Plus a good layer of polish should make them easier to clean next time round.

N.B. best not to use spray polish on wheels for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Moleman, are we talking "no black specks whatsoever" bright or "there are a few pin prick size ones here and there" bright. I think that's where my OCD comes in because if theres just one then it's game over! LOL.

·
Registered
84 Posts
T8mmo said:
Moleman, are we talking "no black specks whatsoever" bright or "there are a few pin prick size ones here and there" bright. I think that's where my OCD comes in because if theres just one then it's game over! LOL.
Well put it this way, twenty paces away and through squinted eyes they look good as new :)

But seriously, I use the brakes as little as possible so maybe do not have as much ingrained brake dust as some others but I am very impressed by the results and on my wheels I cannot see any black spots.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have found regular cleaning stops the brake dust etching into the paint find cold water better than hot that reativates the brake dust binding agent. I just treat the wheels with the same stuff I use on the body and it helps repel the brake dust in the first place as well as nice and shinny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice one moleman LOL! I admit it is down to driving and the length that stuff is left to heat weld itself to the wheels. I just wanted to see what you called clean! I tend to receive cars with neglected wheels and after lengthy cleaning (no clay) people say "wow!" but in my experience clay is the only thing that gets the grains off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
T8mmo said:
You must be like me bmwAK - I used to have OCD about the minute specks until I decided to clay my wheels. I was so amazed. I used bilt-hamber clay with Megs quick detailer and that got every last one off.
where can i get this bilt-hamber clay from? I have never heard of this before, can someone advise?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Try here
I use these, great service too! I'm sure there are other stockists too.

Disclaimer - I am not associated with this company or any other!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have used elite many times, they also have an ebay shop which (sometimes) can be cheaper.

I have had plenty of stuff from but they are no cheaper for the BH clay.

I would also like to add that BH is unique in the way that it only needs water for lubrication so a few litres of evian and a spritzer bottle and you are away for little expense. I just find that with QD it pulls specks off quicker than with water.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.