Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm seeking a bit of advice.
Our beloved E87 116d (182k miles 2010) is starting to show some signs of age.

The car is stuck at a local garage after a pulley went and that combined with other little issues the car has, it makes me wonder whether it is worth to give the car away?
Particularly, we had the reluctor rings done in 2019 and they are probably seized again, is it normal so soon? Is it the symptom of something larger at play?
And then, if we get a "new" 2nd hand car, what do we get, bigger? EV?

Specifically:
- on our way down to our holiday on Saturday, we had a battery red warning followed by engine overheating. Tried to push a bit , but it all went mental (airbag, abs,safety belt warning and many more went off), steering wheel became heavy has a rock and on a bend it suddenly gave in. Had to call AA, the pulley was completely worn out and had fallen to the bottom of the engine bay.
Waiting on an estimate from a local garage this morning ££
  • the traction control is coming on at 60/70 mph. It gets worse more is driven. We already had the reluctor rings done in 2019, is it normal they last 3y only? Car is stored outside. £££
  • small bits that I can repair/replace myself, like the rear windscreen wipers - I think the suspensions are somewhat gone, the car is beyond being stiff and sporty. It is almost painful ££££

We could afford a new second hand car as we have family that could help, but we're otherwise tight on finances.
It is also actually a massive dilemma we're having on what car we should buy next, bigger ( we just invested in a roofbox and have busy off-street parking)? We have two toddlers ATM and with the roofbox is fine, will it get worse or better as they grow? Who knows.

Then of course the other big question , shall we invest in an EV? Our last full tank was more than 100 quid!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hi Space, I had to get rid of my beloved E91 Tourer, things started going wrong and it became a money pit, so it had to go......I loved that car! Suggest you chop in your little friend, you might get some PX for it if you get it running.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
"Particularly, we had the reluctor rings done in 2019 and they are probably seized again, is it normal so soon"

The rings rotate on the drive shafts, they done seize and there not actually in contact (other than siting on the drive shaft) with anything. What the do, do is corrode and swell. This swelling reduces the air gap between the sensor and the ring to the point they touch. Its an easy fix but if you go to BMW they'll put new drive shafts on at silly money. new rings are cheep

·
Registered
54 Posts
I assume it's your crankshaft pulley that fell apart? I was replacing my serpentine belt and tension/deflector pulleys recently on my 118d (127l miles) and noticed that the rubber cushion between the outer and inner sections of the crankshaft pulley had a large crack all around its circumference. This pulley should be checked on any car with over 100k miles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes,.sory sleep deprivation.
Last time the reluctor rings were rusted and swelled up.
I took it to my BMW indi so he replaced the rings only, parts were cheap, I think with the labour involved it made it an expensive repair.

Wondering if it is normal they're busted again after 3 years

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Space, I had to get rid of my beloved E91 Tourer, things started going wrong and it became a money pit, so it had to go......I loved that car! Suggest you chop in your little friend, you might get some PX for it if you get it running.
Sad thought as we love our car! But perhaps the sensible thing to do

·
Registered
598 Posts
I replaced a bearing and reluctor last week.
The reluctor was just showing signs of catching so caught in good time. I did the other today, nearside, had hardly any catching.

I think you need to ensure all rust is removed and use good quality rings. Time will tell. If they didn't spend long rubbing it down to clean metal and treating it, that might be the problem. It takes time and they just want to fit them and get paid.

Automotive tire Grass Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

Became this

Road surface Tints and shades Symmetry Pattern Street light

Both mine were a tight fit because the shaft had not rusted badly, if they get too bad, removing all the rust can mean it's too small for the ring so maybe they compromised to buy time for you or just did a poor job. I have seen other threads which suggest they don't last but if the base is good and decent rings are used, I think it will be better. I decided to stick with my OEM shafts, I could easily have bought new, anything from £70 to around £140 but I felt the OEM fitted were the better option. After that decent refurbs from Shaftec might be the way to go, may cost a bit more but well made. Mine are low mileage and the car doesn't do much mileage, I keep it because it's getting rare in the condition and I like it shape. In your case, I wouldn't pay to have the rings done again over complete shafts, yours are possibly beyond good repair even if someone were to do them right. On a ramp, swapping shafts on yours should be a simple job since they shouldn't encounter any stubborn parts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your exhaustive reply Dave1!

Actually the problem is now more complex. I have been quoted 480 to replace the pulley and belt, apparently the pulley part itself is very expensive.
Then the windows are currently all down and the AA man wasn't able to pull them up when he rescued us, so the garage is mentioning that one will probably be a separate repair and if the electric module has gone it will.br an extra 200.

So we're looking at 700 to have a barrly functional car ( and who knows whether some other components went bust, e.g. the steering became really heavy before the care gave up the ghosts the other day).

So we have a certainty of 700, a possibility of needing to spend some more money to make the car drivable ( as we will need to go back home from our holiday destination here) and the reluctors that will definitely need attention in the short term future ( and i seem to remember having paid 400 at the BMW indi).

So it is starting to feel like our beloved 1series has become a genuine moneypit...

Really don't know what to do as we're on holiday, if we were at home 100% I would scrap it

·
Registered
54 Posts
£480.00 to replace crankshaft pulley and belt seems ridiculous. A quality crankshaft pulley (not a China copy) can be obtained for around £135. The individual tensioner pulleys (if needed) and belt can be obtained for less than £60 (I replaced the individual pulleys rather than the tensioner unit). The job is straightforward - lots of videos on YouTube. Should take someone familiar with BMWs no more than 1.5 hours. An example of an OEM quality pulley (including replacement bolts) is here: Crank Shaft Belt Pulley Set FOR E87 2.0 CHOICE2/2 04->11 116d 118d 120d 123d | eBay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts