Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my car in for an MOT and scarily found that both of my bottom rear suspension bolts were loose!

Automotive tire Wheel Tire Tread Vehicle brake

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

When i got home I tightened them back up but since then the rear seems rock hard and you can feel every bump where previously the suspension soaked it all up and almost glided over speed bumps etc, any ideas why this maybe happening?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It looks like those arms weren't connected at all, there's scratches on your brake backing plate that look like the end of the arms were probably hitting it. You've been very lucky.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Its back to design intent now. Didnt you have the alignment done recently ? I seam to recall you asking about it . My guess is it will need doing again now....... try a different establishment if that's the standard and quality of their work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Its back to design intent now. Didnt you have the alignment done recently ? I seam to recall you asking about it . My guess is it will need doing again now....... try a different establishment if that's the standard add quality of there work .
No, it was actually done by another garage that changed my bump stops

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Don’t you have to go back for the mot station to re mot that section to get a pass ?
There should have been no reason for the alignment place to have loosened them as the eccentric bolts will be on the other end of the arm on the subframe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've actually found out who did it, I had my bump stops changed a couple of months ago by a local indy, I'm not going to name and shame them because they have been very apologetic about it and are doing everything they can to make things right. I had my MOT done and its passed now (y)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back to the original question....why is my suspension so hard now? My fiancée has the same car as me and hers rides like mine did before these were tightened up? Any ideas??

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Wow, really lucky there kite. I would take it to the muppets who didn't do the bolts up to see why it's so hard.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Is it a oem or OEM sized bumpstop? Could be that your fiancée's bumpstops are also knackered and allowing more damper travel than your new ones.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it a oem or OEM sized bumpstop? Could be that your fiancée's bumpstops are also knackered and allowing more damper travel than your new ones.
I did wonder about that as it has been much harder since the new bump stops, we both have M Sport models of about the same age so could be hers are slightly deteriorating...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Runflats ?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Caveat - forgive me for not knowing the details of what M sport components are on all models.

But if you have M sport suspension on your car, its might be that the bumpstops are shorter to go with the shorter springs? Can you be certain the garage fitted M sport shorter bumpstops if your car has M sport suspension (if they are indeed shorter or have a different part number on real oem)? The difference between M sport Bumpstop length and standard suspension bumpstop length might not be much to the naked eye (as little 5mm -10mm), but it might mean you now have very little to no travel before touching the stops, and then the spring rate ramps up quite a bit and makes it feel very hard.

just a thought

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you tighten those up while the car was down under it's own weight, or whilst it was up in the air on a jack?
Had to do it on a jack because I couldn't get the toque wrench on with the wheels on, did them as much as possible under its own weight with a spanner and then took the wheels off and torqued them up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Caveat - forgive me for not knowing the details of what M sport components are on all models.

But if you have M sport suspension on your car, its might be that the bumpstops are shorter to go with the shorter springs? Can you be certain the garage fitted M sport shorter bumpstops if your car has M sport suspension (if they are indeed shorter or have a different part number on real oem)? The difference between M sport Bumpstop length and standard suspension bumpstop length might not be much to the naked eye (as little 5mm -10mm), but it might mean you now have very little to no travel before touching the stops, and then the spring rate ramps up quite a bit and makes it feel very hard.

just a thought
Was the first thing I checked, I can see the part number on the new bump stop and it matches on realoem

·
Registered
184 Posts
Had to do it on a jack because I couldn't get the toque wrench on with the wheels on, did them as much as possible under its own weight with a spanner and then took the wheels off and torqued them up.
OK fair, agree, very difficult without a lift of some sort.
I had to jack mine up as high as I could and then drop it on a stack of concrete blocks to get clearance for the torque wrench.

I'd think you are probably ok if you did the bolts up FT by hand before torquing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts