Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to make my question a little different to the usual “what tyres should I get?” I’ve seen on many forums :)

I may be lining up an AUC purchase, and know it’s a given the rears need replacing in the deal. I think they are a Conti model and from memory think they’re matched with fronts which may be in better shape.

From previous experience I know dealers are keen on supplying * rated tyres only, but my question is whether anyone knows what brands/models that may offer up for the M2, which is standard.

For info I’m currently on Michelin Pilot Super Sport * rated on my E46 M3 and am very pleased with their overall performance so far.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think it might be the PSS, Conti 2 still available but old spec. PS4s are star marked in the correct size for front but i don't believe available for the rears in standard sizing.

Tbh I would like to try the PS4s * but reluctant to mixed stared on the front and non starred at the rear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll see what they come up with, but that’s useful info thanks, and I’m now wondering if the preference for * rated is enforced as part of AUC supply. MPSS have a good rep, but I have to admit no Conti experience, though I’m sure they were ex-factory spec on some models.

·
Registered
265 Posts
As said above on the m2 the only tyres that came approved from factory were michelin pilot super sports and the continental sport contact 2 , my first m2 came with the continentals and I wasn’t a fan at all so changed to Mpss and my current m2 has them too .
bmw will state that the star marked approved tyres are a condition of the warranty but are quite happy to sell you a auc approved car that doesn’t have them fitted , make of that what you will .
for me bmw developed the car with those 2 tyres so I personally wouldn’t fit anything else, each to there own and all that .

Reactions: DaveR

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As said above on the m2 the only tyres that came approved from factory were michelin pilot super sports and the continental sport contact 2 , my first m2 came with the continentals and I wasn’t a fan at all so changed to Mpss and my current m2 has them too .
bmw will state that the star marked approved tyres are a condition of the warranty but are quite happy to sell you a auc approved car that doesn’t have them fitted , make of that what you will .
for me bmw developed the car with those 2 tyres so I personally wouldn’t fit anything else, each to there own and all that .
Thanks for the info, which pretty much fits into my expectations regarding how * "rules" work, and perhaps more importantly having good insight as to the tyres that are intended to be fitted is very useful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hadn't seen that one, good find.
I totally get the oem opinion but can't help feel that tyre technology is a key area that keeps moving forward which underlines our cars performance.
Mine came with conti 2's but switched to michelin 4's which after adjusting too give a very rewarding drive all year round for me.
Again no issue regarding from dealers etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is a good 15 mins worth of info on the OE PSS vs the newer PS4S tyre

Yes, that looks to be an interesting watch I need to catch up with fully. I agree on the point about changing technology though. I've had interesting experiences with my M3. The car came with Pirelli P Zeros, this was a long time back and they had good tread, but were bloody awful. Even in warm conditions they just seemed to lack grip, and gave poor feedback and therefore confidence. I then used Toyo Proxes (T1R, I think) for some time and they were great. That said, I am currently on MPSS * rated and they are superb.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I guess you have seen this one?

It might make a case for fitting the Star marked PS4S on the front to perhaps give a sharper front end? And fit the non star rated on the back?

Don't know if anyone has tried mixing.(my point in #2 post)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts