Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a pile of SH!TE!!!!

I have been stung by this crap product before, but I thought I would put it on my rear window because the wash wipe is crap.

My wiper now rubs over my rear window like its a pile of rocks, banging over. So I thought, lets change the wiper. £11 later from my local dealer, and it worked fine. 3 days later. Back to the same.

Leave this stuff alone. Get urself some sonax windscreen washer!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Must be the way you are applying it... I have always used it, on many cars incl. my 1er, and have NEVER experienced this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'v recently switched from RainX to Carlak 68. I've found that the water starts to really dissipate at 40mph where before with RainX it would need a speed of 50mph. The only problems I've had with RainX is that if you have to use your wipers then the surface smears very quickly. Not sure about Carlak's durability yet as I only applied it at the weekend.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I only use rainx on the side windows as it does smear too easily - and always has done.

Not tried anything else recently, and probably wont until I get a new car

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ive actually not had the problem you describe.
Ive had it on the side windows, good stuff. rear window, good stuff. Front, has some problems, as said, with smearing....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmmm, my rainx is about 4 years old. I put it on the car, as per instructions, rear screen. It seems to dry the screen cos the wiper judders across it.

:(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, i see. I think I might try to get one. Sadly its not included in the 3 for 2 halfords :( - As its not a cleaning product. It was actually quite funny listening to the girl explain that I do not clean the car with rainx lol!!

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
rainX? Why not just use good quality wiper blades instead? Much better at the job in hand.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
I used it a few years back and although I enjoyed the novelty of not having to use my wipers at certain speeds...... there is no way of getting around the fact that you must use wipers.

The problem with Rain-X is that it puts a layer on the windscreen that also causes additional friction to wiper blades and it doesn't take long before you get wiper juddering and premature wiper wear.

I would recommend them for windows exc. the windscreen perhaps

·
Registered
517 Posts
aircanman said:
Get urself some sonax windscreen washer!
Just browsing and saw this. Each to their own but Sonax was the proximate cause of my washer system blocking after using nothing but BMW branded wash when the car was not long over a year old.

I would never use it again. I can remember the yellow sludge everywhere even now.

I know Sonax apparently make the BMW wash but it is not the same. To start with, the BMW liquid is not yellow and does not smell of lemon!

I know it has it's fans though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the mer equiv to rainx is good, cheaper and easier to apply. I do all the glass and headlights once a month and it not only makes the water run off it stops the side windows and mirrors getting as dirty and helps the headlight washers blast the dirt off easier.
Looks funny how the water beads and runs the wrong way up the rear window on a coupe on the motorway tho.
I do about 25k miles pa and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the mer equiv to rainx is good, cheaper and easier to apply. I do all the glass and headlights once a month and it not only makes the water run off it stops the side windows and mirrors getting as dirty and helps the headlight washers blast the dirt off easier.
Looks funny how the water beads and runs the wrong way up the rear window on a coupe on the motorway tho.
I do about 25k miles pa and highly recommend it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.