Baby BMW Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2017 M240i Auto
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
One of the reasons I went for the PS5 was because of that review, but I also thought exactly the same at the time - how can the tyre last so much longer without affecting grip? Well it does affect grip in my experience. :cry:

On the PS4 I had a really hard time getting the car to slide or lose traction in the wet, even when they only had 2mm of tread left!! But the PS5 are rubbish in comparison - I can no longer just put my foot down when it's raining as it loses traction just as badly as when I had the MPSS fitted. Yesterday when it was raining and I was late I was pushing hard on the slip road up to the motorway and it was just fish tailing all the way up - even on the carriageway it was flashing the TC when I tried to boot it. The PS4 previously fitted never ever did that.

By far the worse tyre I've run on the 240 so far and when I have to swap next year (or sooner if I can afford to!!), I think I will go to the Good Year Asym 6 if I can't get PS4 any more. I also run PS4 on our E91 and they last 20k miles at least on that car and give endless grip with no issues. They do only last 12k miles on my 240 though but that's down to how I drive probably. :LOL:
Thanks for the reply and info OneTwenty. It could well be that I already have the best tyre for my car in the PS4 for 18 inch wheels. Even though the PS4 is not that dynamic to drive what we all really want is grip when it matters and the PS4 does that whether wet or dry. I do think the Conti SportContact 7 would be better and more fun on the front (tested on rwd Supra) but it's not available in 245/35 R18 so may as well forget it. I'll post Michelin's reply to my question about the best tyre for my car. I would laugh if they suggest the PS5!

· Registered
1,482 Posts
Michelin do have a selector which you can use on their website.

It suggested PS5 or Cup2 for my car when I tried it a year or so back.

There is more than 1 way of using it. When i used reg no the results were different to when I selected make of car etc.

· Registered
2017 M240i Auto
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, here's the reply from Michelin when asked what tyres they recommend for my M240i. Not that helpful so perhaps I'll try a different brand next time. "After searching with this information, unfortunately we will not be able to recommend anything for you at the moment. As you mentioned that you are looking for a more dynamic steering feel than you get with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 that you have now, the best alternatives would be the Michelin Pilot Super Sport that you have already tried and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S, that as you also mention, does not come in the rear tyre size of your BMW. Therefore, unfortunately, we cannot give you another recommendation today."

· Registered
2016 M240i
5,030 Posts
That's a bit rubbish from them, but interesting they don't recommend the PS5. I've used Michelin for years but I'm going to try GoodYear next I think.

· Registered
2017 M240i Auto
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My car is running 420hp and 540Nm torque so maybe they thought the PS5 wasn't up to it. I won't be getting those next. The GY Asymmetric 6 might be interesting, beat the PS5 in a test mainly due to more dynamic steering feel, which matters to me. I still might try the GY Eagle F1 SuperSports, wanted them when I got my PS4 tyres but rear size was out of stock everywhere. They run the PS4S close in tests, see conclusions extract from TyreReviews PS4S vs GY Eagle F1 SuperSport 2020 test below. They were tested on an e92 BMW M3 and BMW M2 Competition so fairly representative for our RWD M-Lites.

Both tyres are incredibly close. The Michelin is more rounded, more mature, more grown up.
The Goodyear is a little more exciting on the road, the car feels more direct, a little more playful, a little more communicative.
The Michelin is still the better tyre overall, but the margin is small. And for all the Michelins brilliance, the Goodyear leaves me smiling more. UUHP tyres SHOULD be fun and playful and this is where the Goodyear excels.

· Registered
2016 M240i
5,030 Posts
My car is running 420hp and 540Nm torque so maybe they thought the PS5 wasn't up to it.
Funnily though there are a lot of Porsche and M3 owners running the PS5 without too many problems. Some M3 guy had 800bhp running through them, no bother.

· Registered
2017 M240i Auto
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Interesting, the PS5 is a UHP tyre, not a UUHP so personally I wouldn't put them on my M3 or Porsche unless they were on a set of winter wheels. OEM PS4S on an M3 for me

· Registered
1,482 Posts
That's a bit rubbish from them, but interesting they don't recommend the PS5. I've used Michelin for years but I'm going to try GoodYear next I think.
I am not certain they don't recommend as such. They just don't recommend it for OPs specific requirements.

If I use the online selector is currently lists PS5, PSS and CUP2 on 18s.

· Registered
39 Posts
The PS4S was mase available in R18 255/35 rece though it is an OEM spec for General Motors, it should theoretically be closer in performance to the regular 4S than the PS4. Get some new lightweight summer rims for a 225/40 + 255/35 setup with the correct ET values as the latter won't fit on the OEM 8J rims.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Circle

· Registered
1,443 Posts
FWIW I have cars on PS4, PS4S and Cup2 at the moment, the PS4S are noticeably better in the wet and no worse in the dry than the PS4.
Id only recommend Cups if youre going to track it and cant keep a second set of wheels, they are miles off the other two in cold/wet and standing water is a proper bum clencher o_O

· Registered
2017 M240i Auto
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
FWIW I have cars on PS4, PS4S and Cup2 at the moment, the PS4S are noticeably better in the wet and no worse in the dry than the PS4.
Id only recommend Cups if youre going to track it and cant keep a second set of wheels, they are miles off the other two in cold/wet and standing water is a proper bum clencher o_O
Does the PS4S have a more dynamic steering feel than the PS4 in your experience? This is what I feel I'm missing with the PS4 compared to the old PSS OEM tyres. PS4 just feels a big vague on turn in by comparison but is a much better all round, all weather tyre.

· Registered
166 Posts
Funnily though there are a lot of Porsche and M3 owners running the PS5 without too many problems. Some M3 guy had 800bhp running through them, no bother.
Not in our skinny width sizes though.

Reactions: OneTwenty

· Registered
1,443 Posts
Does the PS4S have a more dynamic steering feel than the PS4 in your experience? This is what I feel I'm missing with the PS4 compared to the old PSS OEM tyres.
Maybe a tiny bit, but no more than the difference between new tyres vs something thats a bit older.
I was a big fan of PSS as well but reckon the 4 and 4S are marginal improvements each time.

· Registered
2016 M240i
5,030 Posts
I'd love to buy the PS4S for mine, but they only do 19" sizes I believe.

· Registered
2017 M240i Auto
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'd love to buy the PS4S for mine, but they only do 19" sizes I believe.
They do PS4S for the front in 225/40 ZR18 but Michelin advised not mixing PS4S front and PS4 rear (no PS4S in 245/38 R18). I'm not normally a fan of Pirelli tyres but the latest P-Zero (PZ4) gets quite good reviews in terms of dynamic steering feel but not available in 245/35 R18 yet. Did anyone try the older P-Zero on their M140/240? Never ranked that highly in tyre tests.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
New Bridgestone Potenza Sport might be worth a look if you don’t/won’t go PS5.
Available in our 18” sizes.
Does well in tests apart from high wear rate.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts