Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have never had it so my knowledge is not very good, when I bought my 1 series I was told it was not worth the money by the salesperson! :shock:

Maybe there is someone on the forum that has had it and can comment further.

Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
One salesman confirmed to me that they often make more money selling paint protection than selling cars! I got it included on a red Golf GTi and it did keep the paint bright but I wouldn't think it was worth it on a metallic colour. You do still need to wax the car regularly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got it on the Z and it is very good. It seals the paintwork and interior. Definitely makes the car easier to clean. I haven't seen how it handles interior spills, but, it would have been worth the £250 to get it done IMO. I didn't pay for mine!
It's a good one to get thrown in for free...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got it for my car. It's called AutoGlym LifeShine. The service crew at the dealer apply the sealant to the interior and exterior, and you get a fetching green and red holdall containing several products: bodywork shampoo, interior shampoo, resin polish, glass polish, screenwash, gloss protection, wheel cleaner, vinyl and rubber care :censored:, a sponge, a fake leather dryer, a pack of cotton polishing cloths, and a manual explaining how to use it all.

I'm not convinced it's worth it for the carry-home kit, as you need to invest time and effort, but I persuaded myself that it was better for the car to have the sealant applied than not.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I didn't bother as I'm mildly obsessive about swirling. I have to say, whatever they put on at the factory/dealer as standard is very good anyway - baked on flies come off a treat :)

The salesman pushed incredibly hard to sell 'Protect and Seal' and gap insurance. Probably because they were making nothing from the actual car sale :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got hassled to have this on my last few cars usually autoglym one you can buy the exact same thing off ebay for about £20 and do it yourself it is good but not worth the money the dealers want

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you really think you need it, then get it done by a professional detailer, not the monkeys at your local dealership. They'll do a far better job and it'll cost you less. Many of them offer a new car prep package. Personally I wouldn't even let the dealership wash my car, let alone apply paint sealants and waxes! See the detailing section on this forum and you'll soon get the idea. Don't fall for the sales push, it's bordering on a scam in my view.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Protect and seal is simply a polish, and you can do that yourself. (Its a very neat and very profitable marketing ploy though)

Its a good quality polish I will say that, but do you want someone to "polish" your car for a few hundred pounds. Although a two parter its a good polish followed by a clear wax and then they ask you to top up once a month with a wax in water to "replenish" I had a friend (car salesman) who told me all about it, their people actually mixed the two to save time !!!

Autoglym Resin Polish followed by Autoglym extra gloss, save yourself a fortune although the salesman will need to find his commission eleswhere

·
Registered
3 Posts
lm awaiting my 116d sport in september. l was originally offered this 'seal and protect'. but after a few days of researching on various detailing forums, l found that bmw's seal and protect is really not worth the money...... l rang them up and they were not too pleased that l changed my mind- but hey !!!!

l'm now going for a new car prep for a fraction of the price with people who take care and attention applying the sealant rather than throwing it on in a 20 minute job!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
uktrailmonster said:
If you really think you need it, then get it done by a professional detailer, not the monkeys at your local dealership. They'll do a far better job and it'll cost you less. Many of them offer a new car prep package. Personally I wouldn't even let the dealership wash my car, let alone apply paint sealants and waxes! See the detailing section on this forum and you'll soon get the idea. Don't fall for the sales push, it's bordering on a scam in my view.
I agree with this person. Loads of cars at my work got covered in white overspray (luckily not mine) :p , but anyway the company had a massive problem on there hands coz everyone was demanding a respray coz the owners couldn't get it off themselves with a simple wash, so the company contracted a detailing company to do all the cars, prob close to a hundred. And so far there hasn't bin one complaint and there was no overspray left on the cars but as there charging £300-£400 per car there shouldn't be any complaints. :lol:

So in my opinion if your really thinking of getting this seal and protect i would look to get it done by a pro detailer.

Detailing really makes it so much easier to clean the car next time, i just applied collinite wax to my car and you only need to wipe it to get the bugs off instead of rubbing or scratching it off with your nail.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Webby said:
Dealer paint protection? :lol:

An absolute crock.

As someone already mentioned here, I wouldn't let any dealership wash my car let alone rub something on the surface.
+1! I think its already been confirmed as such on here anyway but it was my opinion that a couple of decent washes and waxes a year would do the same thing, £250 saved to spend on other options!

·
Registered
284 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.