Baby BMW Forum banner

prospective owner

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  markDD 
#1 ·
Hi,
Looking to get a 1M I have a question regards the paint on the orange ones most seem to have had paint redone on the front end dealers say to get rid of the stone chips as the orange paint does not touch up well ?is this true regards orange.
Thanks Mark

#2 ·
1M VO paint is a difficult one to touch up as lots of metallic flakes in the paint. I have had a few stone chips professionally touched in where you would struggle to see them but thankfully very few. If you were really concered then I have seen stunning results from professional vehicle repair guys. Ultimately its a really fun car that still puts a smile on my face after nearly 3 years, although I have toyed with the idea of selling just to try something else. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Is this the car at 4star classics?? There's a post on Cutters regarding the paint on this car if we are talking about the same one ?

I purchased a AW 1M last year, looked at a few, all were fairly stone chipped across the front. One dealer allowed me to view the car before they sent it for paint. It was a SB car around 40000 miles, was too far gone for me, they were planning to paint bonnet, wings, bumper and rear quarters. My opinion is that there is nothing as good as OE paint, would rather have a few carefully touched in and polished chips than a suspicious looking blow over.

I had only the front bumper painted on mine, guess you wouldn't get away with this on a VO car though. Had Sytner Leicester did the work and it came out 100% perfect. All the panel gaps are as they should be after reassembly.

#11 ·
Bumper definitely looks out to me on the near side compared to offside.
Would love one of these especially in VO. Crazy money though.

#12 ·
RickN55 said:
markDD said:
looks ok from the front
With the panel gaps, paint colour etc it's always hard to tell from pictures as they never give a true reflection of what it is like in real.

As said you could try a paint depth reader but that's all good but you need to know what the original paint depth should be in the first place?? And I have no idea how you find that out either?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Factory paint is between 110-140 microns usually

Anything over 200 is definitely respray

The finish up close will also be different on repainted surfaces (more mottled / orange peel)

#14 ·
markDD said:
How much are the front wheels from bmw
M359s are £605 a corner. - . Will be cheaper via forum sponsor Cotswold BMW.

If you search Cutters/E90post etc. you'll find lots of reports of people sticking their genuine 359s in the garage and running replicas (or just different aftermarket flow-formed/forged wheels) day-to-day because the real ones are heavy, quite fond of cracking/buckling, and still cost a small fortune to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.