Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left xenon light has passed away, and I get this message on my iDrive:
Dipped Beam Left Failure.

Tried to switch the xenon bulbs from one side to another, and the bulb worked! So, what the he** could it be then?

Is it only one fuse for the two xenon lights, or one for each?

·
Registered
310 Posts
the xenon bulbs sometimes burn out.
I had a similar problem on my MINI, and a replacement bulb fixed the problem. I don't know if it is a warranty item tho. mine wasn't as i was out of warranty. a new bulb was £75 from :roll: :cry:

sorry, your post is a bit unclear on re-reading it. Did the "blown" bulb work in the side that was working and the working bulb no longer work in the faulty side? - if so it sounds like a ballast / ignitor problem and is deffo a warranty issue and should be replaced FOC.

if the working bulb works in the faulty side, and the faulty bulb doent work in the good side after swapping them over then it sounds like a bulb issue.

hope thats clearer!

gerry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heres a query.

Adaptive Xenons on the car. When Im putting away at night in the garage Ive notced when wheel turned then a halogen fronlight comes on on the side of direction I turn. Its obviuously a design as when I turn the wheel the other way, the same thing happens.

Looks weird tho'

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
fergy said:
Heres a query.

Adaptive Xenons on the car. When Im putting away at night in the garage Ive notced when wheel turned then a halogen fronlight comes on on the side of direction I turn. Its obviuously a design as when I turn the wheel the other way, the same thing happens.

Looks weird tho'
from what I can gather, the halogen light (cornering lamps) comes on at speeds under 40mph to assist cornering and parking in the direction you are turning, if you stop and select reverse with the wheels still turned then it will switch to the other side to light up the exit area! The xenon's should still shift from side to side regardless of speed!

Are bulbs included in the 3 year warranty?

Tony

·
Registered
1 Posts
larskimo said:
My left xenon light has passed away, and I get this message on my iDrive:
Dipped Beam Left Failure.

Tried to switch the xenon bulbs from one side to another, and the bulb worked! So, what the he** could it be then?

Is it only one fuse for the two xenon lights, or one for each?
I had the same problem on my car. My dealer changed bulbs and starter (?) from one side to another, but the problem was always on the same side. It turned out some sort of wire was not connected properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whats the number for the left xenon fuse? Only got the deutsch manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AndyM said:
Yep that's the adaptive headlights. Helps illuminate corners allegedly. I wouldn't know as BMW failed to fit it to my car :roll:
I thought that as well, but the adaptive lights only work when the lights are turned to automatic. I just turned my lights to on and left them like that to start with. Maybe I should have read the owner manual in a little more detail!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, now I have changed the control-unit (or something like that, see picture) on the left side, and the xenon worked perfect after that.

Part #14.

So, today, 1 week later, the RIGHT xenon didn´t work. I guess it´s the same reason, so now I need to replace the right control-unit. Is this usual?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The thing to the right is the control-unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today, the xenon on the right side was going on and off, on and off. It must be the cable then, or what?
Really annoying! The nearest BMW-dealer is about 230km away....

·
Registered
1 Posts
larskimo said:
Today, the xenon on the right side was going on and off, on and off. It must be the cable then, or what?
Really annoying! The nearest BMW-dealer is about 230km away....
Hi, larskimo my 1st post, my 120d sport has developed this same fault, did you get to the bottom of this concern, and what was the cure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same problem with my car and now the nearside xenon has just given up the ghost! I have tries changing the bulb and it's not that so I guess its the 'control unit'.
Has anyone changed one of these? how do you get to it? do you have to remove the bumper and remove the headlight unit to get to it?

Any help would be appreciated :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.