Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got Black Dakota in my M135i. I chose it because am not a fan of the alcantara trim. I just don't think it looks as good as leather and also prefer having the leather door trims etc, but in this hot weather obviously the leather has it's problems. I've found a local auto upholsterer who would be able to change the centre panels to cloth for me, but retain the original leather panels so that the process could be reversed if I wanted in the future. I think the half-leather result might be the best of both worlds so I'm seriously thinking about it especially as I reckon I will be keeping the car for a long while yet.

The question then though is exactly what area I get re-trimmed and what type of cloth to go for.

I am considering maybe something like a classic BMW houndstooth from the E30, maybe even a grey tartan (although I'm not sure that would suit the shape of seat) or just a plain charcoal/black cloth so it looks pretty much the same as now but cooler.

Unfortunately I have no Photoshop skills to try to visualise the different options. All I have done so far (in MS paint!!) is to mark up the area that I think I would replace with cloth to show the upholsterer for the quote and find a few possible seat looks on the web.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome and If anyone has Photoshop skills and could mock up some options I would be very grateful.

Outerwear Shoe Leg Human body Sleeve
Furniture Comfort Interior design Wood Floor
Furniture Product Comfort Chair Automotive tire
Brown Rectangle Flooring Grey Headgear

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because I guess you won't want to go with my first suggestion, here's black/white houndstooth:

View attachment 18390
I think that just edges it over the leopardskin!!

I would do the whole of the seat base between the bolsters though rather than just the centre panel. And the front sliding portion too.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Meticulously dissecting BMW leather seats, that is a brave move! Would want to firmly discount the idea of sticking some tailored seat covers on for the few hot days we get if it was me. A quick Google search turned up the attached no idea if they are any good but if they aren't you could probably send them back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've always preferred half leather to full leather. My last car was an Audi A3 with the S line half leather and they were great, the perfect balance of style and comfort .If that trim had been available for the BMW I would have definitely gone for that. I don't like the colour scheme of the Alcantara option which to my eyes looks a bit insipid and the pile on it always looks like it needs brushing.

So, now that I have decided I will be keeping the M135 for quite a while, I figured I might as well get it as near to perfect for me as I can.

It might seem a big move but these guys are professionals who do this day in, day out, its not like I'm going to hack at it myself with a Stanley knife and my wife's sewing machine as the phrase "chopping up" suggests!.

·
Administrator
4,015 Posts
I like the houndstooth, would probably do the door panels too though, like the 911 Sport Classic.

Although if you ever get the leather sewn back in to sell the car, those panels will look minty fresh and make the normally-worn bolsters look 10x worse. Probably not an issue, just a consideration :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what about seatskinz ? Then you arent cutting anything original and its all covered exactly how you want.
It's a thought, but I don't see how any sort of cover would fit well around the hole in the headrest area of the M sport seats. Also if the leather is still underneath the fabric cover you still don't have any breathability.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's a thought, but I don't see how any sort of cover would fit well around the hole in the headrest area of the M sport seats. Also if the leather is still underneath the fabric cover you still don't have any breathability.
not sure, but cant hurt to investigate. I have a few mates who have had their cars done and cant be happier with them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not sure, but cant hurt to investigate. I have a few mates who have had their cars done and cant be happier with them.
True - have fired off an email to them.

Looking at some of their images I wonder if they do actually remove the existing trim and replace it with the seatskinz rather than it just being a cover? I don't see how they could get a proper fit if they are just a cover.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on this for anyone interested.

Seatskinz don't have a digital pattern for the M135 seats, so that is ruled out as an option.

After discussions with the upholsterer he said the backs were going to be a bit tricky to make in such a way that the process could easily be reversed (matching existing stitch holes when refitting etc).

So I've been considering my options. I even wondered about getting a spare set of complete seats and getting them reupholstered so I would have an easy swap back if required. But the only seats I found came with a complete interior and that was over £1000 which was getting silly.

But I have now made some progress and have a way forward. I have found on Ebay a pair of OEM seat back covers, so the upholsterer can use them as the basis for my new backs leaving my originals exactly as they are if they ever need to go back on. The centres of the base parts are much easier to do apparently and mine can just be replaced with new cloth ones and this could be reversed back to original if necessary.

I've also decided on the style that I'm going for. Browsing around loads of seat images I saw some pictures of M3 & M4 seats in what BMW call "carbon structure" trim. To me they look great and exactly what I am looking for so this is the look I'm aiming for.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

1 - 16 of 16 Posts