Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My M140i has now done over 65K miles.
I've looked after it well over those miles, no dents, dings, scrapes etc.
However those miles have weathered the front some what.
Fitting oem front mud flaps however has kept the side of the car and the sills in good shape.

So a front bumper respray would be beneficial.
Can you buy, or is there a company that can supply and fit new headlamp glass/plastic?
Would also like a new windscreen, as no chips, but covered in fine 'rash'
Doing the above would make it as good as new.
From 6ft away you can't see the fine rash, am I being picky as the car will still be used so the same will happen again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
there are places that can POLISH the windscreen, I wouldnt replace it unless it was cracked and un repairable

·
Registered
246 Posts
oh yes for sure, it's glass, LOL, albeit laminated. there are some very good videos out on cleaning windscreens, ranging from steel wool to razor blades.

just thinking, usually what your saying is "pitting" of the glass OR a contaminant. I would try (doesn't hurt anything) a Vinegar wash. DON'T USE SARSONS OR ANY OTHER MALT VINEGAR LOL or WHITE VINEGAR.. (the food grade is "NOT" strong enough) you need to get a cleaner which has VINEGAR in it, Be in the "Green aisle" or something, there are plenty out there, stinks to high heaven
You'll want to protect your paint work, and spray/soak the windscreen, then wipe on and off, DO a little section first to see if it works.

IF NOT then the windscreen is pitted, usually if your handy with a DA and some cutting compound you can try, or take it to a professional.

You said rash as opposed to milkyness , but i case, milkyness is where the center laminate (plastic) is detaching and that is a replacement.

How bad is the rash, can you see, is it just OCD, is it something irritating, could just wait till you get a crack, PERSONALLY I had a bad expereince with a 3rd party
windscreen replacement, they left gaps and didnt put things back properly as a result 6 months later, my blower died and so did my Comfort Access, due to water egress into the main fuse box under the dash, where they didnt put the things back properly, repair cost's where in the 1000's in the end I traded her in for a 2 series

Didn't know they could be professionally polished.

·
Registered
246 Posts
oh oh sorry one other thing I just thought the OTHER problem with polishing is windshields have various coatings on them and I doubt they will stand up to the steel wool or polish tricks.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Here you go

As for windscreen remember if their machined polished to hard in one place it might induce distortion

1 - 9 of 9 Posts