Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been contemplating the past couple of weeks of selling the 140. With cost of fuel increasing and family getting bigger the time has come to look for something a bit more practical. So i may be drafting a sale ad soon, if anyone interested please feel free to dm me.

Cheers jambo

Registered
As a father of three (now grown up and left home) all I'd say is not to expect too much from alternative 'more practical' cars. If fuel costs are a problem, of course, there are hybrid and electric alternatives but the up-front cost of these is usually significant. You've already sunk a depreciation cost on the 140i and I would say that it's a perfectly practical car (as long as it's a 5-door) for a family. A lot of the SUV and MPV etc alternatives are externally bigger but don't give you anything like proportional increase in interior space. We switched to estates, as they did give more usable extra carrying-capacity for camping holidays, but at that time, there wasn't a 1-Series type model available. If there had been, I'm not sure that the estates would necessarily have been worth it for the slightly bigger load capacity.

Registered
Been contemplating the past couple of weeks of selling the 140. With cost of fuel increasing and family getting bigger the time has come to look for something a bit more practical. So i may be drafting a sale ad soon, if anyone interested please feel free to dm me.

Cheers jambo
If you do half decent mileage i would be looking at a 330d, would be my go to car if i did any sort of mileage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive actually been looking at maybe an a4/a6 avant as we are looking to do a few camping trips over the next year or so. Im camping end of july so doubt I'll have it sold and new car by then so if all goes well with the roof box i may be keeping it lol.

Registered
Had 3 series Tourings from 2005, at the same time as our first born.
Last, fast approaching 5 years, my 3 door M140i.
First born now 17, and second born 13.
Honestly haven't noticed any difference in space!
Okay, the Tourings where bigger, but not that much bigger in reality.
Also my M140i is only 5 mpg worse than the 320d's!

Registered
2016 M240i
Had 3 series Tourings from 2005, at the same time as our first born.
Last, fast approaching 5 years, my 3 door M140i.
First born now 17, and second born 13.
Honestly haven't noticed any difference in space!
Okay, the Tourings where bigger, but not that much bigger in reality.
Also my M140i is only 5 mpg worse than the 320d's!
Same experience here.

There is no difference in interior space between my 240 and our E91. Even the boot space is pretty much identical - the only area the E91 wins is the extra estate space you get above the boot, and the built in roof bars allowing you to easily add roof boxes, bikes etc.

Everything else is just the same. And that's with me at 6ft/heavy, wife at 5ft 10, 15 y/o at 6ft1 and my 11 y/o who is tall also.

We only use the E91 if going to the airport where we can get that extra boot height. Every other trip, even long distance is in the 240 - the 3 doors make no difference.

My sister has a "practical" Hyundai Tucson and it only does 26mpg average!! Mine does 27-28. :ROFLMAO:

I've also been thinking of selling mine, as the 拢86 to fill up is torture now, but I honestly don't think anything else will be much better.

My Mrs averages about 40mpg in her E91, and if she had mine would probably average 30-32 so not a huge difference. I used to average 36mpg in my E81, and 28 ish in my 240 now.

Registered
Our previous car was a BMW 330d xDrive Touring which did 43mpg versus the replacement M235i's 32.5mpg. If mpg was the sole crteria, I'd say that it's not worth the swap just for a 10mpg difference. It's main upside was carrying-capacity and comfort for rear passengers on longer journeys. But despite concerns, the current M235i Convertible (F23) has been great and I've only missed the load-carrying a few times over the last 6 years.

We now have a child seat in the back of the convertible for our grandaughter and that works fine as well. Yes, the convertible was awkward when she was really small but now she's past her 1st birthday, it's no problem not having the rear space of the Touring. But I appreciate that with a couple of kids plus the usual baggage, a Touring would be more practical for family trips, especially camping. But I'm not sure that a 1 wouldn't be just as practical and comfortable.

When someone brings out a 1-Series sized electric crossover-type family vehicle that doesn't cost 拢15K more than the petrol equivalent, then yes, I'd say consider a switch. But that seems a long way off at the moment - the cheapest i20 iX is 拢77K! base price. Which is ridiculous. In the meantime, the 1 seems a good package for a family. I'd say see how you manage with what you have and wait a little before deciding on any swap.

For a few years, we had a trailer, which worked really well. Come the summer holidays, the kids bikes (x3) and all their extra stuff went in it and we did some great French summer holidays with it. A trailer's also great for hauling stuff around generally, and trips to the tip. We used to leave the trailer in the garage, fillling up with rubbish, and then do a tip trip every so often.

Registered
Our previous car was a BMW 330d xDrive Touring which did 43mpg versus the replacement M235i's 32.5mpg. If mpg was the sole crteria, I'd say that it's not worth the swap just for a 10mpg difference. It's main upside was carrying-capacity and comfort for rear passengers on longer journeys. But despite concerns, the current M235i Convertible (F23) has been great and I've only missed the load-carrying a few times over the last 6 years.

We now have a child seat in the back of the convertible for our grandaughter and that works fine as well. Yes, the convertible was awkward when she was really small but now she's past her 1st birthday, it's no problem not having the rear space of the Touring. But I appreciate that with a couple of kids plus the usual baggage, a Touring would be more practical for family trips, especially camping. But I'm not sure that a 1 wouldn't be just as practical and comfortable.

When someone brings out a 1-Series sized electric crossover-type family vehicle that doesn't cost 拢15K more than the petrol equivalent, then yes, I'd say consider a switch. But that seems a long way off at the moment - the cheapest i20 iX is 拢77K! base price. Which is ridiculous. In the meantime, the 1 seems a good package for a family. I'd say see how you manage with what you have and wait a little before deciding on any swap.

For a few years, we had a trailer, which worked really well. Come the summer holidays, the kids bikes (x3) and all their extra stuff went in it and we did some great French summer holidays with it. A trailer's also great for hauling stuff around generally, and trips to the tip. We used to leave the trailer in the garage, fillling up with rubbish, and then do a tip trip every so often.
I am surprised by how well I am coping with my mlite as a family car. It鈥檚 impractical if you have a rear facing baby and use a buggy. However, once forward facing it鈥榮 as practical as an SUV for 95% of journeys. I rarely max out the boot, if I ever did, I would add s roof box.

The M3 Touring has caught my eyes but the cost of getting into one is astronomical, I prefer the power delivery of the B58 and my mlite already has a hatch with a boot that鈥檚 rarely maxed anyways.

mpg on short journeys could be better but is stellar on longer runs when driving at 70-80mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts