Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the standard panel filter in a 120d to an aftermarket one like K & N ? I was looking at the standard one this evening and it looks very restrictive, its got foam stuck on the underside as well :?

Would it cause any airflow meter problems?

·
Registered
406 Posts
It could do as the K&N ones are a wet type filter which uses oil. These have been known to cause problems with sensors.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Been doing a bit of reading around on this and the makers of these types of filter say so long as they are not over oiled then they will not do any sensor damage, but then they would say that perhaps? They state that a lot of sensors go through a cleaning process in case they have been contaminated anyway. The hot film air mass meters like the ones fitted to the 1 are said to be less susceptible to contamination than other types so....

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I was told by CA Automotive that BMC filters are the ones to get....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have owned three types, pipercross on my astra coupe, green and K&N on the VRS and have had NO problems with any of them.

The pipercross does not need any oil as is foam based, the green one was in and out within a few weeks as I thought it was naff, brought the K&N one to replace it and felt a difference straight away.

Yes the K&N filter does need oiling but unless you are a complete retard and put the filter back in dripping wet it wont cause any issues, had mine 2+ yrs and nothing, just follow the instructions and dont think more oil is better!!!

I would say if you were worried about doing this incorrectly then a foam filter would be better (however they still need cleaning so dont put it back in wet!!).

Would not bother with any forced air kits like viper, BMC etc personally as they are very expensive and the rolling roads I have witnessed especially with the Viper type produced less Hp than standard!

·
Registered
406 Posts
The other consideration of course is how well the replacement filter actually filters the incoming air. Again there will be facts, figures and opinion to back up both sides on this isssue too.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I think the biggest problem to overcome, is how to get more air into the filter first! Some sory of cold air feed to direct it straight in. Anyone got any thoughts??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know where your coming from, i've a Focus RS and i've up'd the boost by 7psi and had to change the intake hose, only got 4bhp and 16lbft but its better than nothing. I do have a K&N Gen 2 on the FRS and I'm aware of the cleaning process etc I'm just unsure how sensitive the air flow meter is on the BMW. I'll check out the intake pipe to the airbox to see the size of it.

Does anyone have excess to the part numbers to see if its got the a different intake hose?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to order a K&N online and I notice the filter was different to the O.E. K&N only list for pre face lift. I made a call to my local BMW dealer and he confirmed there was a change from a long round type to a square one with one corner cut out. Has anyone else sourced a panel filter for a facelift?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
:thumbs: Happy to help mate. Nearly got one myself so let us know what you think.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used a BMC before on a 316i and on a open wheeler with no issues. BMC is used my nearly every F1 team, so they must be doing something right....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The BMC panel filter arrived with me on friday past after a long wait as it was out of stock. I popped it in on friday evening and it fitted perfect. Yesterday we went christmas shopping and I believe its a bit more responsive now and pulls slightly better.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Thats good to hear. Just got to think of a way to get more air in....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've just added a BMC to my 135i, and whilst the car "feels" better it is a bit hard to judge cause I did and oil + filter change at the same time. However at low RPM (<2000) you can hear a bit more induction noise (not turbo spooling) which is very nice!! :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
I toyed about with the idea of a BMC for my 120D for a while but all the tuners told me not to bother as I wouldn't feel a difference at all . . . But I did have a k&n in my cooper and that sounded lovely. Glynn are you getting it done??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.