Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my M135i since end of April and absolutely love it.

it is going in to the dealer for the software upgrade (WiFi, CarPlay & Android Auto)) in a few days.

only one, minor, gripe. Car feels tight except for pan roof creaking, all the more noticeable for the rest being so solid/quiet.

had the sunroof in my M140i which never made a squeak but was of course smaller.

I get that cutting a big hole out of the roof will compromise rigidity and add a lot of weight but have had the same in a 3 series touring and it never made a sound, in 100k miles.

I love the pan roof and can easily live with the creaking, even though I would prefer not to. It’s an acceptable payoff for the huge improvement to the cabin ambience, open or closed. BUT, it shouldn’t do it, it should be silent, and I’m going to bring this up when I drop it off, given they need a day with it.

So, has anyone else had similar issues? I don’t want them to start pulling the headlining out etc. I’m happy with the idea it might just need some adjustment, WD40 or whatever, otherwise I can live with it, even though it didn’t do it when I collected, only after 1000 miles or so.

and any DIY suggestions would be gratefully received!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had a creak from my pan roof (sounded like it was above the NSR passenger door) not long after purchase.

Dealers took a look and noticed that there was a broken clip. It was replaced and it’s been silent ever since.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mrbeck, I will take a look myself, see if I can see anything loose or broken!

·
Registered
609 Posts
They also claimed to have removed the C pillar panel on the NSR and added some additional padding.

Whatever they did, it worked.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I had creaking on my pan roof, in my case it was simply the rubber seals against the painted parts of the opening section, I applied Gummipflege to every rubber part I could reach, and the noise never came back.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brilliant, thanks Carlos. Never heard of it before but just ordered some!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had creaking on my pan roof, in my case it was simply the rubber seals against the painted parts of the opening section, I applied Gummipflege to every rubber part I could reach, and the noise never came back.
Used that on the window seals on an old 325Ci and it was extremely effective.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts

it is going in to the dealer for the software upgrade (WiFi, CarPlay & Android Auto)) in a few days.

only one, minor, gripe. Car feels tight except for pan roof creaking, all the more noticeable for the rest being so solid/quiet.

had the sunroof in my M140i which never made a squeak but was of course smaller.

I get that cutting a big hole out of the roof will compromise rigidity and add a lot of weight but have had the same in a 3 series touring and it never made a sound, in 100k miles.

I love the pan roof and can easily live with the creaking, even though I would prefer not to. It’s an acceptable payoff for the huge improvement to the cabin ambience, open or closed. BUT, it shouldn’t do it, it should be silent, and I’m going to bring this up when I drop it off, given they need a day with it.

So, has anyone else had similar issues? I don’t want them to start pulling the headlining out etc. I’m happy with the idea it might just need some adjustment, WD40 or whatever, otherwise I can live with it, even though it didn’t do it when I collected, only after 1000 miles or so.

I have exactly the same problem, been back to the dealership twice but still not cured.
1st visit they added packing to the passenger C pillar.
2nd visit they dropped the roof lining and lubricated the clips which fixed the problem for a few months, but the creaking is back again.

I will be booking it in again shortly, hoping third time lucky for a permanent fix.
Also the rubber door seal on the rear passenger door came loose. It was replaced but is hanging off again !!
A little disappointed with these quality issues that are not getting fixed first time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have exactly the same problem, been back to the dealership twice but still not cured.
1st visit they added packing to the passenger C pillar.
2nd visit they dropped the roof lining and lubricated the clips which fixed the problem for a few months, but the creaking is back again.

I will be booking it in again shortly, hoping third time lucky for a permanent fix.
Also the rubber door seal on the rear passenger door came loose. It was replaced but is hanging off again !!
A little disappointed with these quality issues that are not getting fixed first time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had a creaking issue with the pan roof on my 118 M sport, had it as soon as I drove it out of the showroom and took back to the dealership and they diagnosed as creaking roof rail, so they ordered the part and 2 weeks later was taken back to dealership for fitment, had it for a complete day and a loan car was given to me, when I collected the car the service assistant gave me a copy of the invoice although it was a warranty repair total price with labour and all parts £2900!!, just glad it was a warranty repair and now no creaks so issue resolved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts