Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice I've got 06 118d M-sport in Silver and I'm getting a bit bored with the basic look. So heres what I'm thinking, any other options or advice would be appreciated!

-Performance Carbon Fibre Rear Difuser
-130 style twin tip exhaust(already fitted)
-Performance Carbon Fibre Spoiler
-M6 alloys 18's
-Window Tints
-Painting the front callipers red
-And 'M' badges, Sorry!!!

What you think anything else??

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sounds like it could work out ok. I have seen one 1er with red callipers and with silver did look ok you need to do fron and rear otherwise it will look odd. Can't find the pics on here at the mo. M badges look a bit chavy though you will have them on the wheels, too many M badges make the car look like it's been through a sticker sho IMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just painted my calipers in silver and did the hubs, it lift's the look of the whole wheel area and makes the calipers look more impressive, whilst still looking standard. well worth a tenner and a couple of hours work.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I am thinking of painting mine yellow???!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
What, are you gonna remove them, strip them, bead blast them, enamel them, put them back on and bleed the systems? Or are you just gonna paint them yellow with a toy brush in between the spokes.

Oh pleeeeaaase :roll:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Provided they are prep'd properly and don't have brake fluid and brake cleaner spilt all over them, the paint (non-glossy) will last quite well.

I've done this a couple of times before (not on bimmers/road cars) and the paint lasts well until attacked by brake fluid or very harsh cleaners.

·
Registered
112 Posts
555fcm said:
then sand them
Okay, I'll bite :lol: You're going to remove your wheel, buy some 'sand paper', sand all four and then paint them, that's right isn't it?

I'd love to see em after a winter up here mate, :rotfl:

Honestly, kids these days :yawn:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
up here?!

Mate im from glasgow, few of my firends have done it, Range Rover sport , no issues, S2000 no issues and a ferrari 360 again no issues!

guess us kids today just dont no what to do!!

Anyways its a matte of opionion, so if you dont like its ok!

·
Registered
268 Posts
i'm with 123d_msport_mark, don't like the M6 wheels, there are nicer looking wheels out there. M badges, just don't go there, tacky is an understatement.

The rest are all good, however would money not be better spent improving handling, braking etc before making the car look better?

·
Registered
6,313 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
they look good painted, had my doubts but hey......mine hubs need doing but had an interesting conversation with BMW in leicester. They told me they can't paint the hubs because BMW have told them that it may invalidate the warranty on the brakes, reason, because the hubs get hot and the paint could come off and onto the brake pads and discs causing a malfunction, the hubs them selves are not covered under any kind of warranty either because so many people complained BM removed it from the warranty and thats what the dealer told me. sometimes you do have to wonder what BM are doing, you a prestige car, you expect the best customer service.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
jonnyuk06 said:
they look good painted, had my doubts but hey......mine hubs need doing but had an interesting conversation with BMW in leicester. They told me they can't paint the hubs because BMW have told them that it may invalidate the warranty on the brakes, reason, because the hubs get hot and the paint could come off and onto the brake pads and discs causing a malfunction, the hubs them selves are not covered under any kind of warranty either because so many people complained BM removed it from the warranty and thats what the dealer told me. sometimes you do have to wonder what BM are doing, you a prestige car, you expect the best customer service.
Interesting to hear that different dealers have differing opinions as my dealer offered to paint mine for an hours labour £120 with no mention of warranty issues..... Maybe they will only cover it if they make a profit on the paint job! :x

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Rusty Callipers are the only thing letting down my 3 month old White Msport. I have started dialogue with the supplying dealer, but done expect any joy given the history on here.

Anyway, can't live the orangy rust coloured calipers spoiling the nice White Paint, so if BMW don't play ball what colour would you reckon with White?

Black
Red
Silver.....
Others?

·
Registered
536 Posts
karlak said:
The Rusty Callipers are the only thing letting down my 3 month old White Msport. I have started dialogue with the supplying dealer, but done expect any joy given the history on here.

Anyway, can't live the orangy rust coloured calipers spoiling the nice White Paint, so if BMW don't play ball what colour would you reckon with White?

Black
Red
Silver.....
Others?
Hammerite gold is my prefered colour.Almost looks like a standard electroplated finish.

i've even experimented with a light dusting of gold over silver which can look even more realistic, but can be tricky to get a consistant covering

I've never seen hammerite burnt or damaged in all the years i've been tarting up calipers on various vehicles and that includes trackday use.

I live in Ne scotland with pretty harsh winters and always find they will need doing once a year . Not a problem as its not a massive task. powder coating is an option , but an expensive one which will leave you carless for a day or two . If you arent handy with a spanner it will set you back a good few beer tokens also .

i'm doing my new 120d in the next few weeks. i'll try to get a pic or two.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thinkin of painting my hubs and calipers black...... anyone got any pics of black ones??
seen silver and some pics look good, some look s**t!!

think black will look suttle with 18 208m style wheels..... :roll:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.