Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, after suffering from a notchy gearbox (more so apparent from 1st to second, third sometimes, fourth fifth and sixth are very smooth) and doing some research on here I have changed the gearbox oil last week to redline MTM. it changed the drive of the car dramatically for about 4 days, then it went back to normal :evil:

So I'm seeing what next steps i can take to get a smoother change and what any of you have done?

I'm thinking;

Remove the CDV
Bleed clutch
Maybe a heavier gear nob if the two below don't help. Has anyone had any luck with anything else or these?

Cheers

· Registered
2,163 Posts
My old E46 was much improved by CDV delete and clutch bleed - do these first...perhaps refresh the hydraulic fluid while you are at it.

· Registered
528 Posts
I just improved mine quite a bit with new gearbox mounts, New white plastic bush (under gearstick) and CDV delete...drives like a normal car now!!

· Registered
528 Posts
wnavisual said:
Rarebit said:
About £30 for the mounts, took about 15 mins to swap on the drive.
Cool, definitely going to look into these. Can I buy online or from stealers? Going to do everything Monday and will report back. Cheers
I got mine from Cotswold on here (great service)

22322282340 - e46 M3 mounts.

Although the white bush made the biggest difference - 25111220600

I would check the above tho as I've got a 130i

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rarebit said:
[quntsuote="wnavisual"]
Rarebit said:
About £30 for the mounts, took about 15 mins to swap on the drive.
Cool, definitely going to look into these. Can I buy online or from stealers? Going to do everything Monday and will report back. Cheers
22322282340 - e46 M3 mounts.

Although the white bush made the biggest difference - 25111220600

I would check the above tho as I've got a 130i[/quote]

much appreciated. has anyone done similar on a 116 sport with a good outcome? will try anything now.

· Registered
2,073 Posts
I fit some Revshift 80a poly gearbox bushes this week. £55 from Hack Engineering. They are a lifetime warranty, slightly stiffer than M3 mounts and seem to give a nice improvement to the gearshift. I have also done gearbox oil, CDV, BMWP short shift and clutch stop. The gear changes are smooth and very precise now. You should see similar improvements with your car.

· Super Moderator
64,492 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jonwilli said:
I fit some Revshift 80a poly gearbox bushes this week. £55 from Hack Engineering. They are a lifetime warranty, slightly stiffer than M3 mounts and seem to give a nice improvement to the gearshift. I have also done gearbox oil, CDV, BMWP short shift and clutch stop. The gear changes are smooth and very precise now. You should see similar improvements with your car.
Sounds good. Can I find those online? What is the BMWP short shift? sorry for all the questions, just want to ensure it is sorted this month.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
marco_polo said:
Wilko120d said:
Where do the CDV mod parts come from and are they easy to fit?
If your clutch line is long enough, you can simply remove it altogether.

If not, buy a standard CDV from any main dealer, modify it so it's straight through, then quickly swap over.

Read this in full: :)
Not too mechanically intelligent, 'clutch line is long enough'? am I ok to just remove the CDV altogether? Seems what most have done

Cheers bud

· Super Moderator
64,492 Posts
You'll have to get underneath and have a goose, some cars can, others can't.

If there's enough slack in the flexi-pipe, just nuke it. :)

· Registered
2,073 Posts
wnavisual said:
jonwilli said:
Sounds good. Can I find those online? What is the BMWP short shift? sorry for all the questions, just want to ensure it is sorted this month.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Part 5

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
marco_polo said:
You'll have to get underneath and have a goose, some cars can, others can't.

If there's enough slack in the flexi-pipe, just nuke it. :)
I won't be the one doing the modification as I don't have any of the equipment but a friend works at a garage and is booked in there Monday to have the CDV removed and to bleed the clutch. I may have to link them to the how to… (below)

Worse case scenario of removing it? I think that is what i am going to do but you are all much more knowledgable than me on the subject. Cheers

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jonwilli said:
wnavisual said:
jonwilli said:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Part 5
Brill. Will do those if the CDV and clutch bleed does not help. Cheers

· Super Moderator
64,492 Posts
Worst case, the line won't reach! Next worst case, the hose will be strained and will fail prematurely.

It will probably be fine though, get your mate to have a butchers.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
marco_polo said:
Worst case, the line won't reach! Next worst case, the hose will be strained and will fail prematurely.

It will probably be fine though, get your mate to have a butchers.
Will do, thanks for your help again mate. So I will ask him to ensure the clutch line is long enough before removing? If not, to modify it so it's straight through then swap over.

Do I need to buy a standard CDV for the modification or can they do it to the one in there at the mo?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.