Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it known for relatively young B48 (192ps) engine to suddenly lose oil?
My 4 year 35K miles old F45 220i LCI threw up an "Oil at minimum - please top up" message yesterday just after saying it's time for an Engine oil service, and then the 'Service Inspection due' msg. Then it said "Oil below minimum - top up immediately"! Initially the OBC was saying service in 1300 miles before the messages.
I thankfully got home okay and already have my service pre-booked for tomorrow so not overly concerned.

Though i ask was if it sabotage because i had just begun my journey home after test-driving a used car at a BMW dealership [that i didn't go for in the end despite the salesman's best attempts]. I had my key with them and they gave my car a look-over for a valuation whilst i did the test-drive. Now i can't help but being paranoid that they couldn't have rigged some sort of engine-fault-code-bomb so i'd offload my car to them whilst i bought another from them as it's all electronically controlled these days - and i've emails from other BMW franchises sounding almost desperate for my car!
Annoyingly there is no dipstick to physically check the oil level to make sure it's not a hack, service reminder gremlin, sensor misread/failure or for real. I couldn't find any evidence of oil leaks.

Or is it just a coincidence due to the hot weather and duration of that day's journey? Is a mildly worn B48 known for consuming enough oil for a modern car owner to be overly wary of?

·
Administrator
4,015 Posts
The difference between minimum and maximum is usually about 1l. The difference between reading minimum and below minimum could be as little as 10ml - very easy to go from one to the other quickly.

Service could have been triggered/accelerated by running it on low oil, CBS takes into account things like engine load, oil quality etc., not just time/mileage.

As above, keep calm and carry on!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers.
It went through the service just fine, nothing noted. The engine now seems to be less rattly, but also on leaving the service-centre the motor was jerking violently like it was choking or couldn't decide on what gear, i can only assume it was re-calibrating after intake silencer service [is that OPF?], air filter & new [expensive] sparkplugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts