Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
This is my first post and I wanted to share what happened to my M135i F40!

I have driven thousands of miles without any problems. I did a long trip recently, approximately 2000 km. After not using the car for a week, when I turn on the heating I notice a burning smell. I naively think it is normal, not having used it since spring. Suddenly, the cabin starts to fill with smoke (like a shisha bar).
I check the engine bay and notice that the oil filler cap is half-open!!! I don't understand why, as it hasn't been manipulated since the last service, more than 7000 km ago.
I fully close the cap and continue driving a few km.... but the burning smell, although less intense, remains. I think it is due to the spilled oil, which, being in contact with hot surfaces, evaporates.
Not satisfied, I decide to take the car to the workshop (car is under warranty).
They just told me that there is a oil leak and that they have to change the cylinder head gasket completely! And they can't explain why it happened....

Has anyone else had this problem?

· Registered
56 Posts
I’d thank them for their time and get a second opinion before I did anything else. Cylinder head gasket doesn’t seem right. How did they diagnose that? “There’s oil all over the cylinder head”. Well of course there is!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't the head gasket.. just another one (much less costy)! Now everything should be okay.
Without mentioning, they removed the foam of the engine cover because it was full of oil, instead of replacing it! They say it is not covered by the warranty.. and that the car makes a bit more sound meaning more fun... they were not really professional here....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts