Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi peeps - I’m planning to change my oil myself for the first time in August and of course, I am just a little anxious about the thing shearing off when I remove the cap.
On replacement, I will remove the lower O-ring to fully lube it but will also lube the recess into which it fits to ensure there are no unlubed surfaces anywhere. Also, I plan on removing the filter after it has cooled to ambient temperature on the basis that the plastic carcas is likely to stronger in shear when cold as opposed to when at the oil temp of around 70 degrees or so within the filter housing.
This set me thinking . . . I have just bought a new BMW filter P/N 7826800-01 and my understanding is there were three incarnations before that.
It would be very simple to cast an epoxy mold to grip the lower end of the filter and use the filter housing cap on the other and then simply using a digital torque adapter, apply torque until the filter fails in shear.
thus could be done on any used filters, either the early or the later filters and both hot and cold and would pretty much conclusively reveal how much stronger the later filters are but more importantly in my mind, whether or not they are more prone to failure when removed hot!!!
To be meaningful, I guess I need a bunch of used filters, preferably clean and with the paper element removed.
If anyone is interested and happy to send me their used filters, please send me a PM.
For those of you who chuck your cars at the dealers at the mere whiff of maintenance, you won’t understand the mindset but for us anorak-wearing spanner monkeys, I am interested to find out the results even if only for my own curiosity 😄🤔🤔

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi peeps - I’m planning to change my oil myself for the first time in August and of course, I am just a little anxious about the thing shearing off when I remove the cap.
On replacement, I will remove the lower O-ring to fully lube it but will also lube the recess into which it fits to ensure there are no unlubed surfaces anywhere. Also, I plan on removing the filter after it has cooled to ambient temperature on the basis that the plastic carcas is likely to stronger in shear when cold as opposed to when at the oil temp of around 70 degrees or so within the filter housing.
This set me thinking . . . I have just bought a new BMW filter P/N 7826800-01 and my understanding is there were three incarnations before that.
It would be very simple to cast an epoxy mold to grip the lower end of the filter and use the filter housing cap on the other and then simply using a digital torque adapter, apply torque until the filter fails in shear.
thus could be done on any used filters, either the early or the later filters and both hot and cold and would pretty much conclusively reveal how much stronger the later filters are but more importantly in my mind, whether or not they are more prone to failure when removed hot!!!
To be meaningful, I guess I need a bunch of used filters, preferably clean and with the paper element removed.
If anyone is interested and happy to send me their used filters, please send me a PM.
For those of you who chuck your cars at the dealers at the mere whiff of maintenance, you won’t understand the mindset but for us anorak-wearing spanner monkeys, I am interested to find out the results even if only for my own curiosity 😄🤔🤔
I’ll bear you in mind when I next do mine. 👍

1 - 3 of 3 Posts