Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Last Friday my BMW M140i with M-LSD (18 plate, 3k miles) made an odd noise when pulling out briskley onto a busy junction. The noise continued around the next set of corners, but once on the straight I couldn't replicate the noise.

Fast forward this Sunday, and after tootling around for 30 plus minutes and with my wife on recording duties, I put it back into Sport mode and accelerated onto the same set of corners and the noise came back.

To me it sounds as though it's coming from the rear of the car. I'm away for the next few weeks, so I'll take it to the dealership nearer the end of October for an official review.

Here's a short video clip of the noise.

Fingers crossed it isn't too serious! I'm also interested to hear if other owners have experienced this, along with any potential theories.

Thanks, Ben.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd post an update for anyone else searching these forums.

The car has been at the dealership and at first, they could not replicate the noise (they did fix the rattling windows/door seals). Upon taking the car back, I managed to replicate the noise, so I took the opportunity of taking one of the engineers out so that they could hear it and confirm I'm not hearing things.

The garage will look into any known issues, but their initial thought (via their ear and without any investigation) is it may be the M LSD. Fingers crossed the car will go back in for analysis and, hopefully, some form of resolution.

Thanks, Ben.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Know this is an old post but think I may have a similar issue. Did you manage to find out what it was? Mine is a tweet, chime noise when i accelerate past 15mph in sports mode and it sounds like its coming from the rear too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,

BMW have confirmed my noise is not normal, and they believe it's coming from the front of the car. The car will be undergoing another set of tests late next month.

I would describe my noise as a super charger type of whining that goes up in pitch as you go up the rev range. I'm mid-complaint, so I currently don't want to say much else right now.

Definitely not a tweet/chime noise - could yours be a speed warning set in iDrive?

Thanks, and good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today has been a day of mixed emotions, as my car finally went back to the dealership after finally getting the nod from BMW to reject it. It's taken two attempts and over seven painful months to get this result.

I'm not going to detail the whole experience or name any individuals etc., but below is an abridged version of the issues with the vehicle only:

1. Lose fuel line which needed to get reattached to the car.
2. Lose fuel vent line which needed to get reattached to the car.
3. Lose underbody brace that required to get rebonded to the chassis.
4. Replacement turbo.
5. A new engine! :cry:
6. They replaced the air conditioning unit.
7. With a loud bang, the bonnet catch failed on me while stuck in traffic - this scared the daylights out of me!
8. Faulty speed warning system - it never remembers your setting (the courtesy cars provided do remember their setting though).
9. Sellotape around the door frames. :evil:

Despite the amount of effort put in, the car's original issues remained and sadly they got worse. The car's rattles are now terrible, the new air conditioning unit is very noisy, and a new, additional screeching noise randomly occurs when in first or second gear.

Via this forum, I now know the creaking bodyshell/door frames are a common issue on the five-door car and that other owners have Sellotape to resolve the issue, but it's not something I expected from a brand such as BMW. The tape got replaced twice, after which we tried stripping any potential polymers/lubricants off the car bodywork, but the issue remained.

I'm not going to rubbish BMW - out of the hundreds of thousands of cars that BMW create, it's just one car that hasn't gone to plan - but it has put me off the dealership (for good) and the brand (for the foreseeable future). Despite these issues and the personal stress caused, I will undoubtedly miss the vehicle. It always got admiring looks and comments, and the driving experience is one I doubt I will experience again for a long time to come.

I just hope the issues get resolved before the car gets sold on to another customer.

Finally, to anyone else who finds themselves in a similar position, be it BMW or another manufacturer - if you know you're right, don't give up, keep a log, prove your case and keep pushing for a resolution.

·
Registered
90 Posts
MrBen said:
Hi,

Last Friday my BMW M140i with M-LSD (18 plate, 3k miles) made an odd noise when pulling out briskley onto a busy junction. The noise continued around the next set of corners, but once on the straight I couldn't replicate the noise.

Fast forward this Sunday, and after tootling around for 30 plus minutes and with my wife on recording duties, I put it back into Sport mode and accelerated onto the same set of corners and the noise came back.

To me it sounds as though it's coming from the rear of the car. I'm away for the next few weeks, so I'll take it to the dealership nearer the end of October for an official review.

Here's a short video clip of the noise.

Fingers crossed it isn't too serious! I'm also interested to hear if other owners have experienced this, along with any potential theories.

Thanks, Ben.
Hi Ben,

I appreciate a long time has passed now so you may not be active any more!

I assume by your last post no solution was found?

I have noticed my car behaving exactly how you described, although I don't have an LSD.

I find if I lean on the car in a 2nd / 3rd gear corner it will whine like mad accelerating through the gears out on corner exit.

The whine mirrors Engine RPM, and stops once I have backed off or the road straightens out. It cannot be replicated unless there is some lateral g force.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi JAJ,

No solution that I became aware of, I believe the car has since been sold on outside of the BMW dealership network. After replicating the noise around corners, my M140 would also make the noise when accelerating on a straight too.

The gearbox was meant to get replaced, but the regional technician either changed their mind or forgot they mentioned that during the numerous test drives I completed with them.

As the eventually got car rejected, I can't add any real value other than to say I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your car.

Good luck, hope it gets sorted.

Cheers, Ben.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
JAJ said:
Hi Ben,

I appreciate a long time has passed now so you may not be active any more!

I assume by your last post no solution was found?

I have noticed my car behaving exactly how you described, although I don't have an LSD.

I find if I lean on the car in a 2nd / 3rd gear corner it will whine like mad accelerating through the gears out on corner exit.

The whine mirrors Engine RPM, and stops once I have backed off or the road straightens out. It cannot be replicated unless there is some lateral g force.

Has anyone else experienced similar?
If it only happens mid corner when applying power, it sounds like it could be a bearing issue. Either wheel bearing not liking the extra side loading or one of the drive/prop-shaft bearings not liking being under load while the chassis flexing mid corner.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the replies both.

It's definitely an drivetrain whine, almost like a supercharger as it increases and decreases with revs through the gears.

I wondered if it was some kind of oil surge happening...

To give an example, if I cornered hard in 3rd gear and pinned it on the exit it would whine through all of the gears on the straight after the bend.

If I were to let off for a few seconds and then accelerate again, the noise would be gone.

It's a strange one!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Oops, mis-read that it matched engine RPM not speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any of you get a soloution to this?

Ive had my car 3 weeks, and having just been out in it ive noticed a whine.

2nd and 3rd gear for me. Extremely quiet. Almost sounds like the noise a car makes when reversing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts