Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my M240i late last August and picked it up last Thursday. Like probably everyone here I knew almost nothing about it at the time of ordering except that I wanted one and, if I changed my mind, I could always cancel it. Between then and now I've watched everything I could find on YouTube and anywhere else and despite the wait it never occurred to me to cancel.

The only options I ordered were comfort pack, adjustable suspension and aluminium tetragon interior trim. I didn't think (and still don't) that I'd ever get the benefit from the slightly wider wheels and 'super dooper' tyres from the tech pro pack and I think the wheel arch add-ons actually look like a Halfords extra but I know that may be controversial and, as it happened, it came fitted with Pirelli P Zero tyres anyway.

My first view of this car 'in the flesh' was when a nearby dealer got an M220i for test and I loved what I saw, had a test drive and was more convinced than ever that I'd made the right choice.

I've now just completed the first 350 miles and here's what I've found that I hadn't known of or expected:

1. The adaptive headlights are fabulous, even better than in my MX-5 which was the first car I've had with this new technology. It took me a while to find the switch for the auto-dimming headlights: it's a tiny button (one of two) on the end of the indicator stalk. Until I delved into the manual and found it I thought mine might have lost this technology due to chip shortage but this tech revolutionises night driving on B-roads. When I think back to my first powered transport, motorcycles with 6v/30-24w headlights, and realise how far we've come! Before using it I thought the idea that the tech uses the sat-nav to anticipate the bends in the road was a little far fetched but you can see this in action, the headlights actually start to move in anticipation of a bend before any steering input is applied, it's extraordinary and sort of fascinating to watch in action.

2. The auto-hold facility is brilliant in traffic, no need now to keep your foot on the brake every time you stop, or put the handbrake on and, since I collected my car from BMW Park Lane, I had plenty of opportunity to take advantage of this on the way home.

3. In the same vein, are you one of those who hates drivers who sit with their foot on the brake at night and blind you with their brake lights as you sit behind them at, e.g., red traffic lights? That won't happen with this car. I don't know if this is new or not but I realised last night that, when I come to a halt temporarily in traffic, my brake lights go out even if I leave my foot on the brake pedal. I spotted this when I was looking at the car behind me in my mirrors - he wasn't lit up in my red glare, there was none. Is this new tech or am I out of date? It's long overdue - especially since it must be easy to implement and top marks to BMW if they're the first to do this but one thing that does occur to me - if you are forced to an unexpected halt on, e.g., a motorway or similar it is now definitely a good idea, if you don't already do this, to use your hazard flashers to warn traffic behind.

4. I like OS7. It's a major step up from the OS in my last BMW, a 2010 330D, and I am convinced that it's currently better than OS8, especially if OS8 removes any knobs and 'turney-buttons'. The idea that the motorist is being led down a road towards touch screens which need to be looked at to operate instead of operating the control systems by feel and touch alone is monstrously wrong. And besides, from what I've seen of it thus far, the curved screen is going to look very much like an afterthought instead of an integral part of a considered design and I have no regrets whatsoever that I'm 'stuck' with old tech already.

And one last thought as I digest my breakfast before going out hunting for more of Britain's 'B'-roads. Top marks to Park Lane BMW: (a) this car came with a full tank of petrol instead of a measly gallon or so to allow me to get to the first available petrol station, and that's worth the best part of £100 nowadays; (b) the prep was almost flawless and, when I pointed out a small discrepancy in the shut line between the bonnet and the top of the front panel, it was sorted immediately; (c) some special treatment had been applied to the paintwork and interior to help protect it and there was a bag containing the necessary stuff to give it a top-up in a few months' time; (d) There was no pressure to give me the keys and get me out of the door asap, every question I had (and there were a few :) ) was answered fully and I actually felt like a valued customer when I left.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Done about 650 miles since collection on Thursday - mostly motorway with some A roads thrown in.

These are some initial thoughts

Certainly feels like a premium product - coming from a 2019 F31 335d the interior is up there - maybe a bit more plastic but that could be the same in the newer 3 series anyway.....

It's a super refined drive in comfort and was doing around 38mpg on the motorway with a full tank showing around 400 miles. It's easy to drive fast and speed is effortless. Use of speed limiter is probably sensible!
In sport mode things do change - more noise, more go but still retains the refined experience. Super smooth when pushing along and soundtrack is decent too.
I got it as a daily (with some spirited driving in the mix) and it certainly fits that bill. Its not as raw as I'm sure the M2 will be - but I'm sure it'll be easy to live with.

Not had a chance to push the car yet - hopefully have opportunities in the next few weeks.

Bad bits:
Gloss black interior is going to scratch easily and shows fingerprints (planning on some carbon from Ali express to try and remedy)
If you're expecting "an event" when driving you'll probably be disappointed. To me the car feels silky smooth all the time
All the darker colours I've seen in dealerships have some level of swirling - if that annoys you take steps accordingly.
Ambient lighting is a bit naff

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine arrives next Tuesday. Have any of you had the updated software installed for the missing items?

(Wi-fi Functions, Temporary Deletion & Preparation For Remote Software Upgrade)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine arrives next Tuesday. Have any of you had the updated software installed for the missing items?

Dealer put the latest software on mine - car play and Android auto working. Think the tell is the 240i logo on dash display

·
Registered
265 Posts
👍👍 Think that explains why mine has been delayed a few days. Dealer said they ‘discovered a problem’ during the PDI. Better to wait I guess than have to book it in again after delivery!

Reactions: andip85

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
👍👍 Think that explains why mine has been delayed a few days. Dealer said they ‘discovered a problem’ during the PDI. Better to wait I guess than have to book it in again after delivery!
Think I’d be asking my dealer “what exactly is the problem”

Reactions: andip85

·
Registered
265 Posts
Think I’d be asking my dealer “what exactly is the problem”
The ‘problem’ was exactly that it needed an update. So rather than let the car go out and then need re booking they did it at the PDI stage. I believe some people have had a notification that it needs doing and then had to book in for a day at the dealer.
Roll on Tuesday!!

·
Registered
34 Posts

Had mine updated, but left with a slight buzzing coming from the central "vent" / speaker. Dealer going to look into it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guys, is there no run-in mileage on this car?
There is - but dealers don’t seem to understand it! “Take it easy the first few hundred miles” doesn’t go far enough.
First though, these are not your granddad’s motors. Much better tolerances and less need to “wear in” for however long it used to be. But that spark-electrodeposited layer of steel on the aluminium bore doesn’t grow any thicker with thrashing.
I’ve seen a recommendation not to exceed 4500rpm in the first 1200 miles for any of the B48 or B58 motors. Sounds like a reasonable guide to me.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
There is - but dealers don’t seem to understand it! “Take it easy the first few hundred miles” doesn’t go far enough.
First though, these are not your granddad’s motors. Much better tolerances and less need to “wear in” for however long it used to be. But that spark-electrodeposited layer of steel on the aluminium bore doesn’t grow any thicker with thrashing.
I’ve seen a recommendation not to exceed 4500rpm in the first 1200 miles for any of the B48 or B58 motors. Sounds like a reasonable guide to me.
Estoril, is there nothing in the i-drive manaual about running in?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Need some help, I’m struggling with the light system. One minute the dipped light comes on the next minute the side lights come on. I can’t seem to switch either off.
Sounds like you’ve got the lights set to Auto - if so, they are doing what they are supposed to do by coming on & off dependant on the ambient lighting conditions

Reactions: Ashley1967
1 - 18 of 18 Posts