Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking about what car to get next and can’t decide. Interested to hear peoples opinions.

I’ve owned many cars, but most relevant to this post are my old 135i LCI, 120d shadow edition and a 2017 S3.

My 120d is returning between 42-60mpg depending on what mood I’m in. I like the economy and the engine is absolutely perfect for a daily and commuting, but it’s just a bit boring for someone that likes driving.

Id like an m140, but 90% of what come on sale have business nav, no heated seats etc. and I’d want a fully loaded one. The grey 140 Joe Achilles had is my absolute perfect colour/ seat combo and spec, but cannot find any. Ideally an 18 reg too so I can avoid the PPF.

But I can find similar spec’d 335ds for a similar price and obviously they’re both very fast.

Question is, do I go for a 140 knowing I’d average 25-28mpg and wouldnt be able to drive any faster in the wet and cold months than I can in my 120d without risking a disaster. Or do I get a 335d and get an extra 10mpg and x drive for winter months?

My S3 was properly fast. Nothing better for UK roads for going quickly than an S3 or Golf R because of the traction they offer, but it was a bit dull. The engine had no torque compared to my 135i and the sound and smoothness of the 6cyl and zf8 were so much nicer than the Audi and even though it’s a 2 litre I was getting 27mpg which is no better than what I reckon Id get from a 140. Madness. Hated paying £400 a month to fuel a dull, but fast car.

I just worry that the 335d might be a bit dull too. Despite coming out of a 120d this time. But the mpg is quite attractive. Alternatively I might get fed up of filling my m140 knowing I could be going just as quick but filling up a lot less with a 335d.

The main factors are sound, rwd and overall fun for the 140i compared with practicality, fuel economy and torque for the 335.

Fuel prices in the future are also an unknown at this stage, as are any emissions/ULEZ changes which might play a part in 5-10 years time.

Any non-bias opinions would be appreciated. As would any comments on reliability of the 335d compared with the B58.

Or I could always just run the 120d into the ground for 6 years. But I worry that we’ll be too close to the electric-only future to buy a 6 cylinder ICE at that point. Decisions decisions….

·
Registered
387 Posts
I’m biased and will say m140i. Here’s a really great example for sale although not sure about your budget. It’s had everything done so you won’t need to spend anything extra.

Personally I’d be careful about other peoples definition of fun. Some rave about m140i but it took me a while to warm up to it. That’s just me though. That being said, go for one. Seems like the time of fun, affordable ICE cars is slowly coming to an end :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've also been thinking like this for my next step, I have no experience of either and I have looked at these as a replacement for my 130i eventually.

My friends has a f31 335d and he is the biggest petrol head I know and he is smitten with his 335 he can't think of anything to replace it with and is constantly on at me about getting one which coming from him speaks big volumes to how good the 335d's are

Look forward to seeing opinions in this thread

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m biased and will say m140i. Here’s a really great example for sale although not sure about your budget. It’s had everything done so you won’t need to spend anything extra.

Personally I’d be careful about other peoples definition of fun. Some rave about m140i but it took me a while to warm up to it. That’s just me though. That being said, go for one. Seems like the time of fun, affordable ICE cars is slowly coming to an end :(
I did see that post this morning, perfect example really. I’m not in a position to buy at the moment, I’m looking to change in the new year once I’ve sorted a house move out, but that’s what I’m looking for. £29k is a bit steep considering I could save £8k and get a 335d. I don’t think you get £8k more car from a 140 personally.

I completely agree regarding the “fun” point. My 135i was quited disappointing in that regard. Properly quick, but doesn’t handle like my old type r or small fwd hot hatches. It’s not a playful car, one of the reasons I sold it, it’s not what I thought it would be. Really does need the handling/suspension sorting out and an lsd to be “fun”.

but I’m at a different stage of my life now. I don’t need a stupid car to fling about like an idiot. I like the fact that the 140 (and 335) are just exceptional daily’s. They’re extremely quick commuter cars and perfect for the motorway. Being rwd and a petrol, the 140 just offers something the 335 doesn’t, I like a nice sounding car.

Everybodys opinion seems to depend on what car they have/had. 140 owners think their car is perfect. 335 owners think the same. Really need someone that has owned/driven both for a prolonged period to really understand if it’s “worth it”.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I've also been thinking like this for my next step, I have no experience of either and I have looked at these as a replacement for my 130i eventually.

My friends has a f31 335d and he is the biggest petrol head I know and he is smitten with his 335 he can't think of anything to replace it with and is constantly on at me about getting one which coming from him speaks big volumes to how good the 335d's are

Look forward to seeing opinions in this thread
I love both, I have just had our company car list through which features the 330e, so I may have the best of both worlds soon. Not sure how the 330 drives, but it is the only BM on the list!

·
Registered
230 Posts
If i mange to get a Type R allocation you can buy mine same spec as Joe’s old car (minus 2 door). I’ve only done 14500 miles from new and I’ve upgraded the adaptive dampers to the Birds B1 kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If i mange to get a Type R allocation you can buy mine same spec as Joe’s old car (minus 2 door). I’ve only done 14500 miles from new and I’ve upgraded the adaptive dampers to the Birds B1 kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you do decide to sell please give me a shout 😂

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, Sorry for the silly question - whats the PPF?

"avoid the PPF."
Petrol Particulate Filter / Gasoline Particlate Filter (GPF) fitted to the exhaust system for emissions purposes from September 2018 onwards.

(I think that’s right! Somebody may correct me)

Muffles the sound from the exhaust so I’d rather have one without the PPF.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how about a 340i?
340i would most likely be more expensive than the 140i to buy and not sure it offers anything special. Also lose the LCI instrument cluster that the 140 has which I do really like.

I know the 335 has the old dials but I’d be saving £100 a month on fuel so swings and roundabouts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I’m thinking about what car to get next and can’t decide. Interested to hear peoples opinions.

I’ve owned many cars, but most relevant to this post are my old 135i LCI, 120d shadow edition and a 2017 S3.

My 120d is returning between 42-60mpg depending on what mood I’m in. I like the economy and the engine is absolutely perfect for a daily and commuting, but it’s just a bit boring for someone that likes driving.

Id like an m140, but 90% of what come on sale have business nav, no heated seats etc. and I’d want a fully loaded one. The grey 140 Joe Achilles had is my absolute perfect colour/ seat combo and spec, but cannot find any. Ideally an 18 reg too so I can avoid the PPF.

But I can find similar spec’d 335ds for a similar price and obviously they’re both very fast.

Question is, do I go for a 140 knowing I’d average 25-28mpg and wouldnt be able to drive any faster in the wet and cold months than I can in my 120d without risking a disaster. Or do I get a 335d and get an extra 10mpg and x drive for winter months?

My S3 was properly fast. Nothing better for UK roads for going quickly than an S3 or Golf R because of the traction they offer, but it was a bit dull. The engine had no torque compared to my 135i and the sound and smoothness of the 6cyl and zf8 were so much nicer than the Audi and even though it’s a 2 litre I was getting 27mpg which is no better than what I reckon Id get from a 140. Madness. Hated paying £400 a month to fuel a dull, but fast car.

I just worry that the 335d might be a bit dull too. Despite coming out of a 120d this time. But the mpg is quite attractive. Alternatively I might get fed up of filling my m140 knowing I could be going just as quick but filling up a lot less with a 335d.

The main factors are sound, rwd and overall fun for the 140i compared with practicality, fuel economy and torque for the 335.

Fuel prices in the future are also an unknown at this stage, as are any emissions/ULEZ changes which might play a part in 5-10 years time.

Any non-bias opinions would be appreciated. As would any comments on reliability of the 335d compared with the B58.

Or I could always just run the 120d into the ground for 6 years. But I worry that we’ll be too close to the electric-only future to buy a 6 cylinder ICE at that point. Decisions decisions….
If you do loads of motorway or similar miles the 335d is perfect. The 335d has been replaced with the 340d which is from the same modular family as the x40i engines.

If you don't do mainly motorway miles the 335d/340d is a big heavy dull car, albeit quite fast in a straight line due to the monster torque available. That monster torque means it's pretty much done at 4k rpm so not my idea of fun.

The M140i would be OK in winter if you are sensible and fit appropriate tyres so I wouldn't rule it out on that basis.

Only you can decide which suits your needs/wants best.

·
Administrator
4,025 Posts
Something to bear in mind about the 335d is they're all xDrive, which means SE suspension. A mate has an F31 335d, it's properly fast, but it's a big floaty boat. If you wanted fun, I'd go for the M140i. Or even a 330d M-Sport – you get a lot more spec for your money that way, and you can safely map them to beyond 335d power anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Something to bear in mind about the 335d is they're all xDrive, which means SE suspension. A mate has an F31 335d, it's properly fast, but it's a big floaty boat. If you wanted fun, I'd go for the M140i. Or even a 330d M-Sport – you get a lot more spec for your money that way, and you can safely map them to beyond 335d power anyway.
Is the SE suspension really that bad? I know a lot of people complain about it in the 335. I imagine it’s a lot more comfortable for long drives and when the mrs is in the car, but is it really poor for going round corners? Might be hard to say, but how would the 120d m sport compare handling wise with a 335? Obviously it’s lighter and rwd, but would the 120 feel “sportier” on a B road?

I love how the 120 handles and drives. It’s not a race car by any means, but you can move fairly quickly without any trouble and it makes it feel like a really competent road car with the way it sticks to the road. From memory my 135 felt a lot heavier (bigger engine), and I always described that as handling like a boat having come out of a type r. Probably need to drive a 335 and 140 back to back don’t I.

I always thought the 330 had 250bhp which for me isn’t enough to get me out of a 120, but autotrader seems to think some of the more recent 2018/2019 330d’s have 303bhp - surely thats wrong? A rwd 330d with 300bhp and m sport suspension surely trumps an x drive 335d with 310bhp.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I've one the reverse move: from a 330d xDrive SE Touring to an M235i Convertible with LSD. So here's my comparison, for what it's worth.

Yes, the 330d xDrive Touring SE was a relatively floaty car - but in a good way if you're using it for daily commutes, long holiday journeys and overall, and as something that's relaxing to drive. After a busy day with a long drive home, it was somewhere that was relaxing to get into and made me feel as if I was 2/3rds of the way home already. With the adaptive Xenons and xDrive it was great cross-country on rainy, cold winter nights. On holiday drives to the Alps and the South of France it felt effortless and pretty much stayed in 8th most of the time on autoroutes. The torque from that massive 6-cyl 3L engine is huge and this is what makes it such a great model for easy driving. I'm not sure there's a load of difference between a 330d and 335d, if you come across the former as a possible purchase. Like most big diesels, it's not something you throw around and rev to death - there's no point: it's merits are in its torque, not the total BHP.

The xDrive wasn't a drawback for me, as a big diesel is exactly what suits it best - it makes the handling 'neutral' (i.e. neither a RWD over-steer, nor FWD under-steer bias). xDrive added to the relaxed nature of the overall setup.

We moved to an M235i Convertible because I stopped doing the business miles; the family had grown up; and we planned to do more touring holidays around Europe. So the convertible suited, as did something smaller, but I wanted a powerful engine for easy touring (as opposed to outright speed).

All I'd say about the choice of 33-d is to consider Adaptive Xenons if you plan many night-time drives, especially cross-country; take a look at the Touring (for me, the natural 3 series equivalent to the 1 Series is a Touring, not a saloon, coupé or GT) ; and if you do, see if you can find one with a panoramic sunroof, as it transforms the interior.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've one the reverse move: from a 330d xDrive SE Touring to an M235i Convertible with LSD. So here's my comparison, for what it's worth.

Yes, the 330d xDrive Touring SE was a relatively floaty car - but in a good way if you're using it for daily commutes, long holiday journeys and overall, and as something that's relaxing to drive. After a busy day with a long drive home, it was somewhere that was relaxing to get into and made me feel as if I was 2/3rds of the way home already. With the adaptive Xenons and xDrive it was great cross-country on rainy, cold winter nights. On holiday drives to the Alps and the South of France it felt effortless and pretty much stayed in 8th most of the time on autoroutes. The torque from that massive 6-cyl 3L engine is huge and this is what makes it such a great model for easy driving. I'm not sure there's a load of difference between a 330d and 335d, if you come across the former as a possible purchase. Like most big diesels, it's not something you throw around and rev to death - there's no point: it's merits are in its torque, not the total BHP.

The xDrive wasn't a drawback for me, as a big diesel is exactly what suits it best - it makes the handling 'neutral' (i.e. neither a RWD over-steer, nor FWD under-steer bias). xDrive added to the relaxed nature of the overall setup.

We moved to an M235i Convertible because I stopped doing the business miles; the family had grown up; and we planned to do more touring holidays around Europe. So the convertible suited, as did something smaller, but I wanted a powerful engine for easy touring (as opposed to outright speed).

All I'd say about the choice of 33-d is to consider Adaptive Xenons if you plan many night-time drives, especially cross-country; take a look at the Touring (for me, the natural 3 series equivalent to the 1 Series is a Touring, not a saloon, coupé or GT) ; and if you do, see if you can find one with a panoramic sunroof, as it transforms the interior.
Really useful to know, appreciate that - thanks a lot!

I’m in a similar boat in that I want the big 3 litre 140/33x because of “easy touring” as you put it, I actually much prefer the effortlessness and smoothness of the engine to the straight line speed (1 too many speeding tickets probably had something to do with that).

Id love a sunroof in whatever I end up in. Agree, it completely changes the car. Just a shame so few BMWs seem to have been spec’d with them. I’d guess that a good 60% of all BMWs have business nav and no heated seats. Imagine the attractive pcp figures have something to do with that, people just scrimping on the extras that make the car go from good, to perfect for a daily in my opinion.

Interesting to hear from someone that’s had both!

·
Registered
261 Posts
As above don't discount a 330d, gives you loads more choice and a decent map will see you at similar power to a 335d, if i did miles i would sell my 135 and get a 330d for sure, but i only do about 5k a year so it's not an issue averaging 20mpg.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts