Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Been on here for a very long time but left the BMW fold several years back but now returned....

I bought a 2014 m135i over the weekend, to replace a fn2 civic type r that I used as a run around and to do the school run etc...

Picked the car up and it's by no means perfect, needs a little TLC...

So looking for advice on some bits that I'm not familiar with any more...

1. The front passenger side bumper seems to be slightly misaligned, bumper seems to line up fine with the other panels but a larger gap around the headlight is on the passenger side than the drivers side... I assume it has been in a minor accident and had a poor repair... Nothing on the insurance records as a cat... What's the best approach here? Live with it as it can't be seen unless you look for it? Would a basic body shop be able to sort? And what's the going rate for that type of thing?

2. I have an invoice for a rocker cover gasket replacement which is positive, that was done by Berry Chiswick so I have confidence it's been done properly. That said in the car there is a lingering smell of smoke. At first I thought it was a residual smell of cigarettes but could it be that there was a lot of engine oil smoke in the cabin? I have already replaced the pollen filter, is there anything else I can do to irradiate the smell or will it just pass now that the rocker cover is sorted?

3. The screen washer jets seem clogged up. Iv tried the pin in the nozzles etc but no joy there. So think I need to get the bottle out and clean it... While that's out is there anything I should be doing upfront? Eg replace the washer motor/filter or will they be fine after a clean?

4. I drove the car this morning, on the drivers side left leg rest. Just under the padded section felt quite warm, is that normal? The actual plastic is warm to the touch...

5. There is a lot of smoke/steam from the exhaust of the car. It's pretty cold at the mo which could be the culprit, is that normal? The smoke is white or the same as steam would be, not black or blue which gives me some comfort... Is this normal? It doesn't really disappear even when driving a bit...

Anyway that's all for now, I'll try get a photo up when I'm at a laptop...

Glad to be back, initial impressions are that I'm surprised at how smooth and powerful the engine feels, it's really quite lovely...

· Registered
M235i Convertible 2016 +MP LSD
1,089 Posts
3. Washers: Disconnect a washer feed pipe just below the sprayers and run the washer repeatedly, emptying into a container, and re-filling with clear water, until it's flowing smoothly and clearly. If there are no other problems, then I'd recommend buying the 5L BMW Screenwash Concentrate and use that exclusively. Do not mix this with any other brand.

If you still feel that something's not right then yes, you'll have to embark on further remedial work, probably involving the tedious process of accessing the reservoir in the wheelarch.

· Registered
2,908 Posts
1. The front passenger side bumper seems to be slightly misaligned, bumper seems to line up fine with the other panels but a larger gap around the headlight is on the passenger side than the drivers side... I assume it has been in a minor accident and had a poor repair... Nothing on the insurance records as a cat... What's the best approach here? Live with it as it can't be seen unless you look for it? Would a basic body shop be able to sort? And what's the going rate for that type of thing?

If anything like the F20, loosen the screws along the inside of the bonnet (remove the rubber strip). Re-align the bumper and tighten, really easy fix.

· Registered
1,915 Posts
The screen washer jets seem clogged up. Iv tried the pin in the nozzles etc but no joy there. So think I need to get the bottle out and clean it... While that's out is there anything I should be doing upfront? Eg replace the washer motor/filter or will they be fine after a clean? Sound like its got black slime growth on the pump filters fix is drain and remove the washer bottle and filters give it a good clean out refit and then refill with a good quality antibacterial screen wash. BMW one is good as is Blucol -36

· Super Moderator
634 Posts
3. The screen washer jets seem clogged up. Iv tried the pin in the nozzles etc but no joy there. So think I need to get the bottle out and clean it... While that's out is there anything I should be doing upfront? Eg replace the washer motor/filter or will they be fine after a clean?
See my thread at Blocked Washer Jets?
I followed OneTwenty's suggestion and they're working fine now.

· Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the responses all, been a bit cold this week so not tackled anything yet but will definately try and sort the washers without having to take the bottle out!

Also interested in improving the Idrive screen, mine is specced with satnav but no bluetooth streaming, has anyone had an upgraded 8.8inch screen and got a Android auto box fitted? If so any recommendations on if its a self install or best to get a fitter? and what do you actually buy?

· Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI the heated drivers leg rest/ centre console is normal. I've found this with my old 3 series as well as my M140i. Just the way its designed, not a fault!
thats a relief!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts