Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post so please be gentle!

Bought a Monetgo Blue E82 125i last week for a bit of fun, mainly weekend B road blasting and a few track days a year.

Car is completey standard and a bit soft for my intended use so I've spent the last week reading up about basic upgrades. I'm trying to keep things on a budget as cash is tight at the moment.

Few questions regarding the brakes. I'm going to try out the 130i upgrade first to see how I get on. There doesn't seem to be any used caliper carriers available at the moment, but there are complete calipers. Are the 130i calipers stamped 57/24/330?

I'll be changing the fluid, lines and pads (discs later). What pads are people using for occasional track days but ok for the road too? I used to run Pagid RS19 on previous track cars but am hoping there is a cheaper alternative that doesn't crumble. I'm ok with a bit of dust and squealing as it's not a daily.

Re tyre sizes. The car is running OEM 18" staggered alloys with 215/40R18 and 245/35R18. Is it ok to increase to 225/40R18 and 255/35R18? Seems to be a better range of semi-slicks available in the bigger sizes.

Thanks for reading(y)
J.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome JD

The actual calipers are the same on both models so if the brackets are attached then snap them up.
You will need to fit the 330mm discs from the 130 at the same time as the brackets. Can't help with pads sorry but if everything is fresh then standard stuff can handle the odd track day.
225 18 on the front is a popular move as is 255 rear assuming you have 8.5J rear rims. Don't semi slicks come in a bit wider?

·
Administrator
4,015 Posts
What he said ^

No experience personally but lots of people on here seem to recommend DS2500 pads. Needs to be said that they aren't road legal but as you probably know, nothing good is!

There are a few relatively cheap and easy DIY mods that make a big difference in daily driving and a massive difference on track; camber pin mod (free), M3 LCAs (£100ish), camber plates (PM TheTyrant for a set), shorter rear bump stops (£20ish), subframe inserts (£50-100ish).

Don't overlook a gearbox and diff oil change too. BMW specified both as lifetime fill knowing they'll last the life of the warranty without being changed, so when parts eventually fail it'll be coming out of the owners pocket.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Also what he said 😀 ^^

Whilst under the car remove the CDV (clutch delay valve)
Only a few quid from bmw. Knock the insides out with an allen key and replace the existing one. Plenty of threads on here just use search community function 👍
This doesn't fall under the budget category but consider a remap. Should get you around 130i power as they are the same engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and ideas.

The car will eventually end up with upgraded brakes, suspension & remap. But I'm starting with the basics first.

Took it out for a quick blast the other evening and the brakes started to cook after 10 minutes. The pads look new enough but the discs have seen better days. Pads, braided lines and fluid first and then move onto larger dics. I've had bad experience with DS2500 in the past however this was on a short circuit with a few heavy braking zones. Has anyone tried EBC Bluestuff pads?

The previous owner replaced the diff six months ago so that's all good.

The CDV mod is interesting and not something I was aware of. Something to read up on tonight:geek:

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
130i brake upgrade is well worth it and an easy DIY.

No need to buy another CDV, on my 130i and my other half’s 125i the pipes had enough slack in them to connect back together. It makes a big difference for nothing but a bit of time.

M3 LCA’s are a worthwhile investment too. Again DIY-able but they’re a bloody tight fit so take some persuasion. I’m a big fan of the camber plates too while you’re there. The LCA’s and camber plates made a big difference to how my 130i felt. That car also ran 255’s on the rear. I have the M3 arms and camber plates to fit to my 335i at some point.

The 125i needs a remap too; above 4K my other half’s was flat as a fart compared to my old 130i, but a trip to P Torque has livened it up loads.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As a weekend car with some track day use, I'll throw the 225 square or 225 front/235 rear combo into the mix as well. With modern tyres a 130i doesn't need wide rear rubber IMO

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
As a weekend car with some track day use, I'll throw the 225 square or 225 front/235 rear combo into the mix as well. With modern tyres a 130i doesn't need wide rear rubber IMO
I'd respectfully disagree. With good 255's and an LSD my 280hp auto easily breaks traction, anything less is inadequate IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: Courtathor

·
Registered
old: e82 MSport N47 120d. current e82 MSport N52 125i.
347 Posts
Few questions regarding the brakes. I'm going to try out the 130i upgrade first to see how I get on. There doesn't seem to be any used caliper carriers available at the moment, but there are complete calipers. Are the 130i calipers stamped 57/24/330?
The carriers were common accross several models, the 130i and 123d were rare beasts so if your looking on ebay by car it's probably easier to find them on e9x models. I think mine came from a 325i or somthing.
The part number is I believe 34116769097
If you look it up on RealOEM it shows you all the cars it was used on:

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jammy.

I've just ordered a couple of calipers complete with carrier brackets off Ebay. They were removed from an E90 330i and have the 57/24/330 stamp on the calipers so am guessing the carriers are suitable.

Have also ordered EBC Bluestuff pads for front / rear and braided lines. Once I get a look at the caliper carriers I can go ahead and order 330mm discs.(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts