Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all yesterday trade in my 06reg 120d 4dr m sport for a 2012 120d 2dr m sport lovely car only one problem it only has one key
and it is the one that you do not put in the dash it just has to be in the car any body know the cost of a replacement i replaced one for
my old car from bmw it came fully programmed are the above keys the same do i have to go to bmw for one the last one cost £169.
The new car is the 184bhp i can really tell the difference in power.

Any advice would be appreciated.
PAB

· Super Moderator
64,492 Posts
One key's not good!! Make sure you have the missing key programmed out when you have the dealer sort the new one.

· Registered
2,815 Posts
Blackbmw120d said:
One key is a deal breaker for me. Two keys or walk.
Agreed, or get the dealer to get a new one sorted as part of the sale.

· Registered
672 Posts
Yeap got key cover with my insurance cause the previous owner lost the spare, it's like a extra £30 a year or something, well worth it. I got the car and claimed for my spare key, and put the used one in a safe place. :)

· Registered
508 Posts
ste815l said:
Or get key cover with aa or rac think it's about £20 a year no excess and wait a wk or 2 and ring say you have lost your keys they replace and code new key for you
Worked for me a treat.
Dealership can sort out a spare key for less than £50 (cost to them) - for a £10k sale it should be a minor part of the negotiations. Proposing that the OP commits a criminal fraud instead seems like a poor alternative, really...

· Registered
2,163 Posts
Deal breaker - no...it just has a bearing on the price. I bought my wife's car with only one key and soon discovered that Subaru's key and coding charges are more expensive than BMW's!

However, I absolutely concur with Marco's advice to get a BMW dealer to code out the missing key.

· Registered
1,952 Posts
Were all assuming the OP bought it from a dealer (ether a Main BMW or other) but by the sounds of it the car has comfort access no need to pop the key in the dash I'm amusing the previous owner still has the keys and can still use them..............what would the OP's insurance company say if one morning he found his car had been removed overnight.

PS its an E82 coupe.

· Registered
2,163 Posts
That's why Marco recommended that a dealership should code out the missing key.

However, you have probably all heard that you don't need a key to drive away in a BMW:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Simple and cheap solution is to move the OBD port using an OBD extension cable (£5ish on ebay) - if the thieves can't find the port quickly, they will leave the car...

My additional security is provided by a light sleeping Jack Russell and his friend - a Mastiff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.