Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon folks,

Previously posted on 1 series forum where I found a lot of knowledgeable people to assist.

I know this group will be the same.

So I bought a 2016 220D xdrive coupe last September.

It was low mileage and still is with less than 35k on the clock.

So recently I have noticed it developing an issue.

The is is at about 30mph, general about town speeds, the revs sit round about the 1k mark.

Now, generally on slight incline roads, if I dip the throttle a smidge just to feather around 30mph, there is a “splutter”. Kinda like it’s going to cut out hunting for air/fuel or a rough gear change (8 speed auto box)

This issue is quite reproducible with the speed/rev/ road incline/ throttle feathering…not 100% reproducible though.

So, I have tried putting the gear box into manual mode (gear stick pushed to left) and driving using the paddles, 30mph, 1k revs is in 5th gear. So, the issues is still there.

In my mind, this rules out the gearbox as it’s in manual and there is no searching to drop a gear etc.

Have any members had this issues or have knowledge of this issue or suggestions?

I am aware from Google the xdrive system can be twitchier than a teenage boy whilst online in an empty house. I’ve never had xdrive before so any issues are all new to me in that respect.

Other info is the wheels/ tyres… the car came with Michelins cross climates all round at 225/40R18 92Y. All appear to have similar good tread. Tyre pressure all round is 2.2 bar I believe.

Thanks in advance boys and girls and everything in between.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
EGR valve/cooler ? has the car had the recall ?

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
Strangely enough, I've just purchased a 420d xDrive with exactly the same issue. Not hugely noticeable and definitely not every time but enough to know it's 'there.' For reference, mine has had the EGR recall.

Personally, I would look into getting the BMW Insured Warranty - I'm not hugely trusting of the xDrive system to be honest, especially given how pernickety it is with regards to rolling resistance, etc.

Tyre pressure all round is 2.2 bar I believe.
Just make sure this is the recommended pressure (my front are 0.2 lower than the rear) - and that it is maintained in order to prevent transfer box issues later down the road (pardon the pun!).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dxnnyk...have you had the EGR replaced on recall?

Tyres.... i have same size tyres front and rear...225/40/18, 92Y..... no idea if the rims are same size....is this normal on xdrive models?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
With xDrive the electronics diverts most of the power to the rear wheels and will only send power to the front wheels when it detects that the rear wheels are slipping, the car is oversteering, etc.

With all the nannies turned on the sensors seem to be very sensitive, so much so that soft rear tires settling in the corners can be perceived as the rear end starting to break out causing an intermediate reduction of power, engaging the xDrive gearing to send power to the front wheels which entails more power losses in the drivetrain, applying brakes on the “slipping” wheels, etc. When you are around 1000 rpms there isn‘t much power available yet so any changes in the xDrive drivechain could cause a dip in the already limited power that is available.

I think that 2.2 bar all around is asking for trouble, best to have the front tires on the recommended pressure of around 2.4 bar and set the rears 0.2 bar higher to prevent any kind of false positives for the nannies to respond to. This should set a nice baseline to check how the car responds to certain situations for further testing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tyres reset to 2.2 front and 2.4 rear (same size tyres front and rear) will see how that goes

the issue has shown on straight roads, no bends to freak the computer out

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
Called them about the recall….apparently it’s a software update in relation to combustibles in the engine…. That screams carbon build up to me!
Nothing mentioned about EGR replacement. They did however tell me exactly what you've been told - just a software update. Doesn't seem to have made any measurable difference to the car and how it drives.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
my 220D (2015my) had the software recall done only to fail 6-7 months later throttle was so hesitant.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my 220D (2015my) had the software recall done only to fail 6-7 months later throttle was so hesitant.
how was it after the “upgrade”?

Nothing mentioned about EGR replacement. They did however tell me exactly what you've been told - just a software update. Doesn't seem to have made any measurable difference to the car and how it drives.
I questioned them …. The upgrade is to do with combustibles in the engine…that IS carbon/soot/ other build up which is likely to feck an EGR.

told the boy, who was clueless btw, that I’d consulted an ex BMW engineer…. friend at work’s neighbour was the BMW mechanic that came out at the garage for the last issue test drive….but he’s now left them

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
how was it after the “upgrade”?
The back to how it was when new, but I didn't have it long after the new valve was fitted as the M240i was arriving.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interim update -

1) cleaned the MAF.
2) Reset tyre pressures 2.2 at front and 2.4 at the rear.
3) turned off the DSC with long button press to try reboot that

all done on Friday and driving over the weekend the issue appears to have greatly decreased. Couple minor blips but I feel it’s looking better now

mental how tyre pressure can feck a drive so noteably ….

1 - 16 of 16 Posts