Baby BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Registered
2016 M240i
5,030 Posts
It's amazing they can do it all in 7 minutes as well. I'm pretty handy with cars, and have all the right tools but there is no way I could strip an interior that quickly.

· Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Gutted for you!!

Are the Police not interested in even seeing that video? Although I guess you could say they aren't doing anything other than "walking down a street" in the eyes of the law.

I couldn't own a performance car if I didn't have my garage to park it in, I hardly ever leave my car out of the garage and even with the garage it still concerns me. They tried to take a neighbours Golf GTI the other week.
I have asked a few people to translate what they are saying. They are speaking a mixture of Romanian and Italian. I have further CCTV of the car they arrived and left in from that night. The police Do. Not. Care. They are not interested in the slightest. They just throw a crime reference number at you and tell you to claim from insurance and be done with it. That very same car returned to my street two days later at around the same time.

That's the thing. I have a drive and a garage at the rear. It doesn't matter what you do. If they want something, they will get it no matter what.

I am kicking myself that I took too long in installing my CCTV with the trip wires. If the cameras and the alarm system were up and running, the lights and the sirens would have probably put them off.. I only bought the house 6 weeks ago :cry:

· Registered
84 Posts
Surely every safety measure can be overcome with enough determination, so the only realistic approach is, unfortunately, to do as much as possible so that they opt for another car/house, no matter how bad that may sound. Especially when not talking about unique/one-off items, such as a mass produced car in this case, where they could easily pick another, easier target to get their order fulfilled.

So you have a garage but the car was parked outside at the time of the incident? Also, the fact it was not broken into by smashing a glass or other physical strength method to me implies the car key's NFC had been hacked, hence the prior visits, would that be possible?

· Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Exactly. My car isn't anything special. My neighbour has an M3 and he lives about 8 doors away from me. Another neighbour has an RS5. A few nice cars on my street but they went for mine. The only difference is he is 6ft tall with multiple family members in the house. I am 5"2 and I live alone. They targeted me specifically. The garage is too narrow.

Like I mentioned previously, no comfort access on my car. How they got in with virtually no damage is beyond me. It did make me think about this story:

That being said, if they had my keys, I'm sure they would have nicked the entire car and not just parts of it!

Lesson learned. CCTV has been installed now with trip wires. I have set my schedule from 12AM to 6AM. If anybody walks onto my drive, a loud siren will go off, flood lights will turn on along with flashing red and blue lights. I don't care about waking up the entire neighbourhood at this point!

· Registered
2,638 Posts
Exactly. My car isn't anything special. My neighbour has an M3 and he lives about 8 doors away from me. Another neighbour has an RS5. A few nice cars on my street but they went for mine. The only difference is he is 6ft tall with multiple family members in the house. I am 5"2 and I live alone. They targeted me specifically. The garage is too narrow.

Like I mentioned previously, no comfort access on my car. How they got in with virtually no damage is beyond me. It did make me think about this story:

That being said, if they had my keys, I'm sure they would have nicked the entire car and not just parts of it!

Lesson learned. CCTV has been installed now with trip wires. I have set my schedule from 12AM to 6AM. If anybody walks onto my drive, a loud siren will go off, flood lights will turn on along with flashing red and blue lights. I don't care about waking up the entire neighbourhood at this point!

Hi HN, I would be cautious of discussing your security arrangements on here, I'm sure scrotes like them would view sites like these.

· Administrator
4,145 Posts
Another neighbour has an RS5. A few nice cars on my street but they went for mine. The only difference is he is 6ft tall with multiple family members in the house. I am 5"2 and I live alone. They targeted me specifically.
For what it's worth, I seriously doubt you as a person had any bearing whatsoever on this. There was no violence or suggestion of it – the thieves knew exactly how to pull off the hit extremely quickly and extremely quietly. Size, gender and physicality make no difference to how much noise you could make if you saw them, and any amount of noise would have called an end to their visit.

As you pointed out, the scumbags scoped the street weeks in advance, then came back to take exactly what they wanted. They know about your neighbours with their other cars, but those cars weren't on their shopping list. They wanted bits from an M2 and yours was there. At that point, the owner of the car is irrelevant. They learned your schedule specifically to avoid confrontation or violence. Then when they came back, there was no faffing about, no “we might as well take...”; they were in and out in 7 minutes flat.

From a headspace perspective, there is a massive difference between “they targeted me” and “they targeted my car”. You have been the victim of crime, but you weren't the target, your car was. They didn't pick you because of your physicality, they literally did everything they could to avoid you.

Events like this can be insidious, the little doubts they instil can eat away at your mental health without you even realising it. Something very similar happened to a close family member and it completely f*cked their head. If you find the whole situation playing on your mind longer than you'd like, it could be worth booking a few sessions with a counsellor to talk the whole thing over. Stuff like that still has a bad rap but a counsellor isn't a shrink, their job is to work through things with you, not give you a prescription and tell you to sod off.

I hope this doesn't come across as patronising - it's just advice I wish I'd listened to a few years earlier than I did!!

· Super Moderator
64,540 Posts
Absolutely gutted for you, yours must be the unluckiest M2, ever. :mad: :(

· Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi HN, I would be cautious of discussing your security arrangements on here, I'm sure scrotes like them would view sites like these.
I highly doubt they can read! :unsure: If they can, good. Maybe they will think twice about coming back!

For what it's worth, I seriously doubt you as a person had any bearing whatsoever on this. There was no violence or suggestion of it – the thieves knew exactly how to pull off the hit extremely quickly and extremely quietly. Size, gender and physicality make no difference to how much noise you could make if you saw them, and any amount of noise would have called an end to their visit.

As you pointed out, the scumbags scoped the street weeks in advance, then came back to take exactly what they wanted. They know about your neighbours with their other cars, but those cars weren't on their shopping list. They wanted bits from an M2 and yours was there. At that point, the owner of the car is irrelevant. They learned your schedule specifically to avoid confrontation or violence. Then when they came back, there was no faffing about, no “we might as well take...”; they were in and out in 7 minutes flat.

From a headspace perspective, there is a massive difference between “they targeted me” and “they targeted my car”. You have been the victim of crime, but you weren't the target, your car was. They didn't pick you because of your physicality, they literally did everything they could to avoid you.

Events like this can be insidious, the little doubts they instil can eat away at your mental health without you even realising it. Something very similar happened to a close family member and it completely f*cked their head. If you find the whole situation playing on your mind longer than you'd like, it could be worth booking a few sessions with a counsellor to talk the whole thing over. Stuff like that still has a bad rap but a counsellor isn't a shrink, their job is to work through things with you, not give you a prescription and tell you to sod off.

I hope this doesn't come across as patronising - it's just advice I wish I'd listened to a few years earlier than I did!!
Oh of course. It is very difficult to ignore the contents of that video however. When they are saying things like "That's her" or "is that her". It has made me completely paranoid. I have taken all of the extra precautions I can now. Here's to hoping it doesn't happen again.. :rolleyes:

· Registered
987 Posts
That's absolutely brutal, I think I'd rather my car vanished off the face of the earth. Like you say though, they're professional thieves and probably stealing to order so it's not personal other than they've seen your car at some point. They might well be back for your neighbours RS5 once they get buyers lined up for parts.

The police won't do anything until half the streets been done and it's hammering their crime stats. Or they steal from someone that golfs with someone further up the chain of command.

· Registered
2012 F20 125d
27 Posts
Wow, I’m amazed and the precision and speed of the thieving scum!
yep, the police ain’t interested, I had a car stolen over 20yrs ago, when found with a load of the thieves gear inside, they wouldn’t even come out to take prints!
i hope you move on from this quickly and sending best wishes

· Registered
49 Posts
I’m usually one to back the police but these days they don’t seem to care. A crime number to pass on to your insurance as that seems to be the least paperwork for them. It shocking that people like yourself have to go through things like this and get zero confidence that it won’t just happen again. I get the police are underfunded and understaffed but it’s pathetic that criminals basically have free reign. I feel the parts market on EBay has a lot do do with these thefts also.

Going off on a tangent, they love asking the public to do the leg work. I’ve seen a few forces around the country asking people to send in dash cam footage of drivers so they can prosecute them. Then when you watch these dash cam channels on YouTube a majority of incidents are avoidable if the camera car just braked or took some action. It’s like they go out of their way to cause an incident to get footage or feel they have to moral high ground.

· Registered
1,482 Posts
"Operation Snap" is what you describe. The vast majority of incidents would generally be avoided by the "victim" underaking some minor adjustment to what is often an agressive piece of driving on their part.

I do wonder about the mental state of anybody who feels the need to trawl their dashcam to submit it for the sole pirpose of getting somebody nicked for someting when the oitcome was merely a trifling inconvenience.

It's also hard to defend. The "perp" with generally just receive an S172 request with the vaguest of details and has precisely no right to know the substance of the video until wlecting from a trial and pleading not guilty.

Fortunately some of the more enlightened forces now prosecute just as many submitters for their driving as they do the alleged offenders. Good.

Reactions: MarkmacRS

· Registered
262 Posts
Feel for you mate.

Had my previous f80 m3 stolen off me whilst i was asleep in bed. Broke into the house and left within minutes. Never saw or heard from the car since. Police likewise were not interested as they knew the insurance would deal with it. They also took my partners keys for her car. Insurance told her that if she didn’t have the locks and barrel’s changed she wouldn’t be covered for theft even if the keys had been re-coded. Im certain they had been at my house and scouting out the place days/ weeks before it was taken. All in all cost me the retention fee for my plate put my insurance up £600 and the £1000 in locks from audi. Even if they were caught red handed I doubt much would have been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Angry
Reactions: Major_Sarcasm

· Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Just got the call to say the car will be ready for collection tomorrow. It's been over 4 weeks since its been in the garage.

Now, what would you say is an acceptable amount of fuel for them to use? The reason I ask is I handed my car in with a full tank of fuel. I filled up the car that Friday. I drove 9 miles after filling up and it stayed parked on the drive. There was 50 litres when I checked the app. I just looked at the app now and there is 43 litres remaining. They do leave the car idling for quite long periods of time however. They have only driven the car two miles for test drives for the steering etc. I have a tracker on the car so I know when they are using it. Surely this wouldn't use up 7 litres worth of fuel? Or am I being petty and over thinking things?!

· Registered
2016 M240i
5,030 Posts
Yes

Reactions: dxnnyk
21 - 40 of 47 Posts