Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the middle of replacing my serpentine belt, tensioner and deflection pulley (item 3) and have now realised that my engine (2010 125i) does not have the deflection pulley? Probably due to no power steering?

And to confirm, previous BMW belt says 1827 yet the continental I bought is 1830. Is this a problem?

As far as I know there are only two versions:

1827: electric steering
1990: hydraulic steering

·
Registered
379 Posts
I found this when I was changing my belt.
Mine is electric power steering so needed the shorter belt. I measured it with a piece of sting to give me a rough idea and after that I saw the size printed on the old belt.
I bought the Contitech 1830

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers mate

I’ve since installed it but it appears to be sitting right at the edge of the tensioner pulley!

I’ve had the car running for 10 min (idle) and it hasn’t moved, but it’s right at the very edge. Is this correct or have I gone wrong somewhere?

I’ve checked everything numerous times, just paranoid thinking if it will gradually move and slip off the tensioner pulley when driving?

Video:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've recently changed my tensioner, deflection pullies and serpentine belt. This is on my e87 118d. I see nothing unusual with your situation. Presumably the belt is sitting within the width of each pulley, in which case it will maintain its position by virtue of the crankshaft, water pump and alternator ribbed pulleys.

Did you check the state of your crankshaft pulley? Mine was falling apart at 125,000 miles so I needed to replace this also.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, I've checked all other pullies and the belt is sitting well within the width and grooves of each pulley.

Mine is just under 71,000 miles. The crankshaft pulley appears to be ok but of course surface rust is present.

The original belt had cracks forming along the ribs hence why I changed it, and it also got soaked whilst changing the oil filter/cooler gaskets :)

It’s probably best to change the crank pulley when the water pump fails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts