·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice pics :) NICE CAR 8)

most of the time photography is better in diffused light anyway. You don't get sharp points of light reflecting off the car.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Absolutely awesome car. I drove this and the 125i back to back on saturday.

I went to change into 5th gear in the 135i at about 45mph, it was pulling hard. The gearstick would not move across, so I looked down. I WAS ALREADY IN SIXTH GEAR FFS!

Put it this way, if I ever get my dream car, a Z4M coupe, I will NOT be trying it on with the 135i, for sure...

Nice pics too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!
I know its taking some getting used to having all that torque from so low down the rev range :mrgreen:

Whats the 125i like? I really wanted to try one but no dealer could sort it out, and at the time there were none coming through on nearly new :(

·
Registered
461 Posts
The 125i well it is pretty much the same, performance wise, as the Z4 3.0i I had previous to my 118d. It's more than ample to be fair. It feels more than 218hp and 199 lbft. Not much, but a little more.

I got to take both (125i and 135i) cars out back to back unaccompanied. The exhaust note isn't as bassy as the 135 and it does not have the same 'urge' due to no turbos, but still very, very nice. To me, the 125 is better value for money (sorry, JMHO); I don't know that I could justify the extra £6k personally, but money no object one would always go for the 135i...

If it is any consolation, the 125 didn't seem to use that much less fuel than the 135 at a constant 60mph. Over the same route, the 125i did a couple of MPG better but you have to rev the 125i much more to get the same amount of 'oomph' as it were. Given gentle driving, I could see that the 125i might return it's extra 4 or 5 MPG, but if you recall the Prius v M3 on top gear, you will get what I mean, the 135i can be driven at half throttle (or so) whereas the 125 needs to be drinking as much fuel at higher revs to keep up. Kind of thing.

By the way, the 135 was a cabrio and the 125 a coupe; the cabrio will weigh a touch more of course.

I was being quite gentle with the 135i at times and instant MPG was not dissimilar between the cars if I am honest
(I guess it only makes a difference when the turbos are singing), but I only had about 25 mins in each and my (nervous passenger) retired father was with me so there was no 'back end out' antics.

I had a great time in the 135i, pulled up next to a 635d on the motorway but he didn't want to play. I wonder why? 20 less HP and a lot more Kg I would think!! An E46 330ci cabrio saw what I was up to and tried it on, he didnt stand a chance. That really was fun.

By the way, this all happened at about from 50 to 85mph, nothing nuts, but I did drop the 135 down into third to pull away like I did. I guess the 330i was in third also, otherwise no point in him trying it on?

I didnt think much of the 'stiffness' of the cabrio and much preferred the coupe in terms of its handling and 'feel'.

The coupe does handle better than the hatch I have, that is true. Although I would also say in turn that the hatch 'feels' better than the cabriolet. Don't begin to think I am trying to compare any other aspect of the 135i cabriolet performance to my 118d hatch though, I'm not completely stupid!

That said, if I wanted a quick cabrio I would go for the Z4M, the car is designed as a roadster and does not flex anywhere near like the 1er cabrio.

Dont get me wrong, its not a bad chassis at all, just noticeably less stiff than the hatch and in turn the coupe...

I think the 125i coupe would be my choice; the 123d will feel a bit quicker due to torque advantage however it is a couple of £k more IIRC, taking you too close to the 135i price to warrant going for it over the 135i (assuming you disregard fuel economy benefit of the 123).

BTW I had the 330d 204hp/400nm (same figures as the 123d, different motor of course) before the Z4. Despite a huge weight advantage with the Z4, the 330d 'feels' quicker, but of course it is 1s slower to 60mph and the Z4 also will have aerodynamic advantage. All that torque shoves you in tha back hard however, hence the 'feeling'.

I would imagine the 123d thus feels quicker still than the 125i, given they weigh the same (and in this comparison the 0-60 difference is 0.5s). That said, the engine note is great.

I miss the engine note of the petrol 6 so much I am considering buying a Z3 3.0i (which I have also owned in the past) as a weekend car. They can be picked up quite cheap now.

You are probably wondering that is a lot of different BMW cars in a short space of time (Z3 3.0 only released in 2001)...Yes, I change cars rather often! But I rarely use dealerships so I don't get hit too hard in the process. I have broken even (and even made a £100 or £200) on some of the many cars I haved owned over the years. The Z's depreciated at the rate of about £200-220 per month but show me where you can lease a 2 or 3 year old Z for that price and I will change my strategy!! :D

Anyway, Ive digressed and it is bedtime!

Cheers

BTW, in the case of my signature, below - while I never buy new (comment about dealerships above), the 118d is a company car. The SLK isnt mine but I have access to it!

The bike is mine, I bought it at 13 months old /800 miles, for 66% of new price...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice write up - thanks!

That has put my mind at ease; I tried the 123d and whilst it was great at the end of the day its still a deisel. I had a Caterham R300 + compact 320d before and decided I couldnt afford to run two cars anymore. I'd been trying to find the best of both worlds and thought the 125i would be the best bet but at the end of the day I'd have always been wanting the 135. Sounds like there isnt really much economy to be saved with a 125 anyway :mrgreen: (I bet they bring us a 128i soon just to p* me off)!

·
Registered
461 Posts
The 128i exists in the USA. It is the same engine as the UK 125i...

Check out BMW.com car configurator...(just dont look at the prices)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought they had the same engine (N52?), but different power outputs? 230bhp vs 216?

·
Registered
461 Posts
knowley said:
I thought they had the same engine (N52?), but different power outputs? 230bhp vs 216?
Is the USA model 230hp or 216hp? Our UK (or Euro market engine, I should say) is 218hp IIRC? The older 3.0i from 2001-2005 was 231hp UK and 225hp USA. This version was never fitted in the 1er hatch back in late 05/early 06, but continued in the E46...they made E46 cabrios for a long while after the 265hp 130i was introduced in UK...

I had a Z3 3.0i in USA, it was 225hp. My 2003 Z4 (which I had in the UK last year) was 231hp. Although the difference is not noticeable, 2% roughly!

I think it is due to emissions laws (in California) and so they dont have to develop a specific engine just for that state (which would make the prices uncompetitive). So, the whole of the USA gets the 'California friendly' version. As does Canada. :bustedcop:

Similarly the USA E36 M3 and early Z3 M was a 240hp S52 engine, as the S50 would not pass the test at all; UK E36 and early Z3 M cars are 321hp (S50, the one with the VANOS issues) :wink:

Part of the reason I had a Z3 3.0i in the USA - extra 15hp of the M was not worth it for $500 a year more insurance! :shock: Certainly wasn't the MPG advantage when it cost (in 2003) $19 to fill the tank up!

The later M's got the S54 (E46 M3), but a 333hp S54 in their E46 M3 - Again, slightly down on power due emissions as you may know the Euro version has 343hp.

(all the above ignores the very small difference between hp -USA and bhp -UK)

This site doesn't seem to have a nerd smiley otherwise I would put it here, lol!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The US version has the slightly higher output - you certainly know your stuff! :spotman:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.