Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was hoping to be introducing myself in better circumstances but I finally picked up my first BMW yesterday, a 2006 116i, which is seemingly dead already.

On the way home we stopped to grab some petrol at which point the rough idle became an intermittent problem, after going we went on to the motorway where the engine started spluttering and the car shaking, a few seconds later it completely cut out and lost all power.

A few hours of waiting later we arrived back at the car dealership on the back of an RAC truck (Putting every customer off in the process :lol2: ) at which point they were extremely apologetic and will be putting anything right, I should think so too!

I was hoping someone could help and let me know if this is a sign of the timing chain failing, and if so could any damage have been done to the valves in the process? The EOBD error read as overadvanced camshaft timing on the recovery man's machine.

I'm going to get a call later today most likely with what's wrong and, to be honest, if there's any chance of the valves being damaged I"d rather just get a full refund.

· Registered
625 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Not a pleasant ending to the day especially after building yourselves up to collect the car only to have this occur must have been really painful, hopefully all will be fully resolved for you ASAP.

dorsetred

· Super Moderator
64,498 Posts
Well, the valves will either be perfect and hold compression, or bent and messed up beyond all recognition. There's no inbetween stage.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, also there was no engine lights even after it wouldn't start.

If it is as serious as the chain, what are the chances of BMW replacing the unit out of goodwill? My understanding is that a timing chain placed at the back of the engine should be a lifetime part.

· Registered
3,258 Posts
Personally Id be reserving my right to reject the car and get a full refund - obviously depends what they find as the fault. Id also make sure car comes with a dam good warranty. It might just be bad luck that it broke down on day-1 but then again it might not.

· Registered
2,343 Posts
stevesurrey said:
Personally Id be reserving my right to reject the car and get a full refund - obviously depends what they find as the fault. Id also make sure car comes with a dam good warranty. It might just be bad luck that it broke down on day-1 but then again it might not.
I agree +1

Just gotta turn around on some occasions without looking back.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it's not a main dealer, although thankfully was a very reputable second hand dealer.

I went for a full refund in the end, as you guys said there are plenty more cars, even while waiting for a refund I found some with a higher spec and diesel.

Ultimately I was worried about potential valve damage and I just don't think it's worth the risk. The coupe's caught my eye now...this is not the end! :lol2: :lol2: :D

thanks for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.