Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Had a quick forum search and couldn’t find much. Just throwing around ideas and I wanted people opinions on changing air filters, obviously I know you really won’t see much difference power wise, just wondering if people have switched them out from stock. Obviously you could do a new intake system but not interested in this route really. Was just looking at Motechs panel filter for the M135i (to use in my 128ti). They say an “increased sports intake noise” but to be fair I can hear the intake pretty well form stock anyway (which I was very surprised about!). It’s only £40 so not talking big bucks.

cheers

Shifty

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would get a BMC one personally… heard bad things about the Motech one. Due to the air flow they deform.
Okay thanks I’ll take a look! I have spoken to a few people and I just get differing opinions, I know it just comes back to personal experience

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tbh never felt any difference with a performance air filter. apart from fancy writing and the fact that it was for the lifetime, I didn't feel any benefits
See this has been my personal experience, but before my 128ti and M240i I only had naturally aspirated cars. I didn’t do anything to the M240i so I wasn’t sure how well it affects a turbocharged engine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Had a quick forum search and couldn’t find much. Just throwing around ideas and I wanted people opinions on changing air filters, obviously I know you really won’t see much difference power wise, just wondering if people have switched them out from stock. Obviously you could do a new intake system but not interested in this route really. Was just looking at Motechs panel filter for the M135i (to use in my 128ti). They say an “increased sports intake noise” but to be fair I can hear the intake pretty well form stock anyway (which I was very surprised about!). It’s only £40 so not talking big bucks.

cheers

Shifty
I have been told just K&N air filter is all that's needed (y)

·
Super Moderator
65,175 Posts
See this has been my personal experience, but before my 128ti and M240i I only had naturally aspirated cars. I didn’t do anything to the M240i so I wasn’t sure how well it affects a turbocharged engine
They affect a turbocharged engine significantly less.

On a NA, the intake manifold is always a mild vacuum, so restrictive air intakes are bad news. (Not that any modern car manufacturer makes engines with poorly designed filters these days, they’re all chasing every last bit of efficiency for mpg).

On a turbocharged car, your right foot says go, the ECU tells the turbo to make +10psi (or whatever target), and the turbo fills the intake manifold with exactly +10psi above atmospheric. Anything upstream of the turbo has no real effect on how much air goes into the engine. If you want more air/fuel, remap the ECU.

My biggest concern would be how well the filter actually filters. Inhaling that fine pinky sand from the Sahara would be bad news.

Reactions: icelink

·
Registered
386 Posts
They affect a turbocharged engine significantly less.

On a NA, the intake manifold is always a mild vacuum, so restrictive air intakes are bad news. (Not that any modern car manufacturer makes engines with poorly designed filters these days, they’re all chasing every last bit of efficiency for mpg).

On a turbocharged car, your right foot says go, the ECU tells the turbo to make +10psi (or whatever target), and the turbo fills the intake manifold with exactly +10psi above atmospheric. Anything upstream of the turbo has no real effect on how much air goes into the engine. If you want more air/fuel, remap the ECU.

My biggest concern would be how well the filter actually filters. Inhaling that fine pinky sand from the Sahara would be bad news.
Marco, any idea about Eventuri intake in this case? I’ve watched a few reviews and everyone says that the responsiveness has improved significantly after install. Would that be purely due to less restrictive nature of it and turbo spooling up faster as a result?

·
Super Moderator
65,175 Posts
I think you'd have to be putting a large demand on turbo duty to make any noticable difference, to be honest. Maybe if you're running a Stage 2 remap with high boost targets??

I'm sure they look very pretty though, and make lots of "tish" and "waaaaa" noises

• Haha
Reactions: AME

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think you'd have to be putting a large demand on turbo duty to make any noticable difference, to be honest. Maybe if you're running a Stage 2 remap with high boost targets??

I'm sure they look very pretty though, and make lots of "tish" and "waaaaa" noises
No clue tbh. Joe Achilles was raving about it with his M2 and M3 but he obviously can be biased.

that being said, those noises…might make it worth dropping that crazy amount of money on the intake. Just might 😀

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Oh yeah I just wanted to know peoples thoughts. I’ve coded the sporty exhaust to help with some of the sound now, so not sure I’ll bother with changing the filter. If there’s no real discernible difference then I’ll just save my money. Really appreciate the input though!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Honestly don't bother, waste of money. A cold air induction that draws masses of cold air from the grill/bonnet area is worth having to cool the intake temps, you will gain a few hp from this, but even then don't expect miracles. Just stick to the OEM panel filter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts