Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I know there's tonnes of these posts however I just had a question with the specific tyres I potentially may be mixing. Im currently running Non RFT Kuhmo PS71s XL upfront and the equivalent RFTs at back (Im looking to swap them to match the front).
Unfortunately the Non RFTs are experiencing a supply issue at the moment so ive been offered Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 K117 instead. Im seeing these are good tyres but wasn't sure if these are soft or hard compound - I believe the Kuhmos are hard. The Hankook also appear to be non XL which I was always under the impression that the rule is to go XL if non runflat. Would mixing such tyres likely cause any issues. I dont push my car to the limits in all honesty.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
You really done want to be mixing RFT with non RFT. Will make driving very interesting and don't have an accident with mixed tyre technology tyres could open up a can of worms.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Are the Goodyear Eagles not a similar price to the Hankooks? They're XL rated and should be a longer lasting tyre too. When I replaced tyres a few months ago the deals on the Assy 5 made it a similar price to the Hankooks.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,541 Posts
When I swapped the RFT tyres off our E91 at 2 years old, I was told categorically by BMW themselves that whilst OK to swap RFT to none RFT there should be no mixing of RFT and none RFT F to R.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Don't mix runflats/goflats.
Don't mix winters/all-seasons/summers.
Keep all four tyres the same.

The last rule is the only one on which you can sometimes compromise - you may be OK with different brands but judging by forum feedback, it's a bit of a lottery. I've done it myself on a 3 Series out of necessity when the existing brand just wasn't available, with no issues. But there are plenty of posts here reporting the opposite experience, sometimes with just a new version of a tyre.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,541 Posts
My old E81 came with mixed brands and it was fine (Michelin F and Hankook R), but my F22 is really bad with mixing even the same brand but different models.

My current PS4 F and PS5 R setup is not nice a all.

But our E91 has mixed PS2, PS3, PS4 etc without problems.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to order the Hankooks in the end as Goodyear Eagle f1s were a fair bit more and Blackcircles are only able to provide like for like price-wise. Yes the RFs are coming off! Now weathers damper i dont want to mess around. The Kuhmos have shown me 225s non runflat are all okay on this car so ill be going for a square setup all around. I only had 205s on before!! Such skinny tyres on a 3.0litre car lol!
Im experiencing some performance problems on this car at the moment so to be honest i doubt ill even notice a difference!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts