Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
No real harm, but you may as well stick with what you have/like. BMW recommends Shell because that's who their current deal is with - before that it was Castrol. Just use a decent, quality oil that is the right spec.

·
Super Moderator
367 Posts
I'm not too sure what you mean by mixing them? If you want to top up your current oil with a small amount of a different one it shouldn't make any difference.

If you're wishing to change your oil using a different brand, that's absolutely fine. It might just be a case of 50+ miles before it has any noticeable effect. As above as long as it meets the correct specification for your vehicle you should be alright.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not too sure what you mean by mixing them? If you want to top up your current oil with a small amount of a different one it shouldn't make any difference.

If you're wishing to change your oil using a different brand, that's absolutely fine. It might just be a case of 50+ miles before it has any noticeable effect. As above as long as it meets the correct specification for your vehicle you should be alright.
Correct, I meant topping it up with a small one-liter bottle like the Shell below which the BMW guys recommended me:

I was thinking as long as both had LL04 approval and were the same viscosity all should be well!, but just wanted to get advice from the gurus here who probably know more than me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts