Baby BMW Forum banner

mis fire cylinder 1 E87

994 Views 14 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  jmd8886
hi
firstly i have had a quick look to see if i could see similar posts and couldn't, but apologies if there is.

got a 116i m sport 08 plate, just done 93k

a few months ago had a problem and took to garage and replaced the coil pack and run a engine cleaner and all was good ..

2 months on and the same is happening again

starts up no problem , can't tell a problem at all, drive for approx 5 mins and then it starts idling all funny and judders the gear stick real bad
the engine management light flashes on (sometimes stays on, sometimes goes off)
when its driving its very stuttery and sometimes goes into 'limp' mode but not all the time. you can turn it off, wait a min or so and then start again ..

when i took in last time they checked all fuel injectors and was no faults coming up with them

when i plug in my OBD it comes up with

"29CD DME:combustion misfires, cylinder 1"

anyone had this before ? any ideas ?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Spark plugs ever been changed :?:
yeh they got changed on last service 2 months ago
Probably the coil again. Have you had the recall done on yours? I'm sure there was a recall for the coils. You'll have to check though.

Another way to check if it is the coil is move it to cylinder, 2 and if the fault code moves to cylinder 2 then you know the coil is no good.
coil again so soon ?
with regards to the recall.. do i just contact bmw ?

i no at the garage last time he moved the coil etc like you mentioned hence why he changed it. last time was cylinder 1 aswell

if you change 1 coil is it worth changing them all at the same time ? or is a certain one prone to 'going' more than others ?

he mentioned about he gonna check the tension of the chain as he feels there is some movement. ideally i hope there isn't and its just something simple as when i read about chains its more about the 'sound' it makes, i don't feel there is a difference in sound. just when engine light comes on it sounds a bit like a lawnmower

many thanks for your help so far :spotman:
Yeah so if he replaced it - then he probably replaced it on the cylinder he moved it to, which wouldn't be cylinder 1 anymore.

Ring a BMW dealer with regards to the recall.

But yes to answer your question it's usually worth replacing all 4 at a time because they are prone to failure.

I wouldn't waster time measuring slack in the timing chain it's unnecessary before replacing the 4 coils IMO. They aren't that expensive and it's no more than an hour tops to change them.

ECP even stock them for about £25 each.
thanks for your help , will mention to the garage now and see whats what .
had a message back from the garage saying all the 4 coils seem okay. :|
jmd8886 said:
had a message back from the garage saying all the 4 coils seem okay. :|
Ring BMW, give them your reg and check if you've got a recall on the coils. I still think it's worth getting them done.

Other common problems on your model are a lambda sensor (which your symptoms also point to).
Probably needs a new injector and decoupling element. Carparts4less sell genuine BMW injectors, decoupling element is BMW only. New injectors needs programming into DME.
thanks i will pass this info onto the garage and see what happens
update

fitted a new chain tensioner and they test drove and all good. so time to collect

drove down the road it started again .. got on motorway and all seemed fine , off the motorway all fine, felt like a new car .

next min it started again, engine light on and limp mode :cry:
jmd8886 said:
update

fitted a new chain tensioner and they test drove and all good. so time to collect

drove down the road it started again .. got on motorway and all seemed fine , off the motorway all fine, felt like a new car .

next min it started again, engine light on and limp mode :cry:
Have you rang BMW like I suggested a few posts back to see if you have a recall on the coils?
i had done yeh. and they going to call me back
finally got call back , booked for 2nd feb for it, thats the soonest they could do
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.