Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Unfortunately a bottle of milk was left on my rear seat.. in the heat. Some escaped went down through the hole where the child seat connection is soaked into / through the sound proofing fabric

I have got the sound proofing fabric out.. however there is still a bit of a smell - looks like some has soaked into the foam of the underside of the seat!!!

Any ideas how to best get rid of this before shelling out loads on various odour bombs etc?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Hi all

Unfortunately a bottle of milk was left on my rear seat.. in the heat. Some escaped went down through the hole where the child seat connection is soaked into / through the sound proofing fabric

I have got the sound proofing fabric out.. however there is still a bit of a smell - looks like some has soaked into the foam of the underside of the seat!!!

Any ideas how to best get rid of this before shelling out loads on various odour bombs etc?
Try this:

When cleaning the parts of your car that can’t be removed and washed, it’s best to use products known for their absorbent properties – particularly baking soda. Sprinkle a thick covering of baking soda (the exact same type you use for baking cakes) over all the damp patches of your car. Leave this overnight, and the baking soda will draw out those nasty odours. In the morning, simply vacuum up the baking soda, and you should notice a huge difference in the smell of your car.

You might have to dampen the area prior to using the soda.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Try the baking side and just thet doesn't work, use an ozone generator.

There are used by hotels to get rid of nasty pongs and I used to use one on a refrigerated lorry that transported fish one day and fresh fruit and veg the next.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
We live and learn, and I've leant only to carry milk doubled wrapped in bags and tightly lodged between other items. In fact, that was when I used to do weekly shopping trips for my mum, as I don't drink dairy milk. As I recall baking soda didn't do a lot when I cried over split milk in my old Micra on a rear carpet. The only fix was repeated soaking in carpet cleaner and soaking/up and patting with toweling, coupled with masking sprays (robsaboy's post looks interesting). Had to repeat over several weeks.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Try an enzyme cleaner. They can sometimes work wonders.

If that fails get a job delivering takeaways. That will mask it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Whilst in Uni one of my flat mates worked as a manager at McDonalds. One day she's carrying a load of that syrup/powder they use for the drinks and someone has hit the back of her car at a set of lights. Powder goes absolutely everywhere and it stinks to the high heavens!.

In the end had to replace the rear bench and the floor carpets to get rid of the smell!.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I was transporting my cats to my parents house in my 5 Turbo many years ago and they escaped from the cardboard pet carrier they were in. They proceeded to run riot around the car. I got pulled for speeding and watching the video in the coppers car could see the cats rampaging on the rear shelf, the copper fortunately did not see them.....Anyway, to get rid of the smell of cats ****, I had a full valet which sorted the issue!

**** urine FFS

Reactions: vanbobble

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for all the suggestions guys.. I sprayed a load of rug Doctor odour eater on the area and emptied a tub of baking soda.. left on for a day and hoovered off this evening
The smell was noticeably less today

will see what it is like tomorrow.. I have heard good things about a dog **** enzyme cleaner they sell in pets for home which is pretty cheap… if I need to I will slice v the foam underneath with a knife so I can really get the cleaner in there deep

i will update on how I get rid of it

Reactions: moulin12

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was transporting my cats to my parents house in my 5 Turbo many years ago and they escaped from the cardboard pet carrier they were in. They proceeded to run riot around the car. I got pulled for speeding and watching the video in the coppers car could see the cats rampaging on the rear shelf, the copper fortunately did not see them.....Anyway, to get rid of the smell of cats ****, I had a full valet which sorted the issue!

**** urine FFS
Thought cat urine was one of those smells that never went away.

Parents had a cat **** in an old Citroen C1. Soaked into the front passenger mat and floor. Smell faded with various treatments but never went away - car was filled with air fresheners before it was sold. Buyer beware - never trust an air freshener!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I think it is sorted. Prior to posting I had not actually removed the back seat from the car as I didn’t have any torx attachments, so had tried to clean it in situ

since then got the rear seat out.. bought some of the dog urine odour enzyme stuff and sprayed **** loadon the foam the underside of the seat.. then covered entire area in baking powder and left outside to dry

this still left a a bit of a smell, upon inspection some small parts of the foam were brown ish colour so cut them out and sprayed and baking powdered again.. this seemed to do the trick, still slight stain on the foam but smell pretty much gone

Sprayed where back seat goes inside car with the enzyme spray and let dry

Under the rear seat took circular metal cover off.. the gasket has absorbed some and smelt like puke 🤢 so submerged that in enzyme cleaner for a day

still there was a smell! Turns out the black material holding the seat belt connectors had soaked a load up.. unscrewed that.. tried with enzyme cleaner but didn’t shift it so put through washing machine twice 😂

this seems to have done the trick.. put everything back and left for a day.. no strong smell, just a little musty so tried one of those meguiars odor bombs and car smells good again.. finally

1 - 13 of 13 Posts