Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon!

Currently running my 118i (17" alloys) on Goodyear ASY5's, all 4 of which are now due a change.

Whilst I like the sportiness, grip, etc. of the Goodyears, I'm dissatisfied with the comfort. The car is jittery at best and just lacks refinement - whether this is a problem with the car itself or the tyres, I'll not know until I change the tyre.

I'm considering Michelin, but I'm not sure whether to choose PS4 or PS5. They're both the same price so that's not an issue - but there are very few reviews of the PS5.

Specifically I'd be looking for good comfort, and good rim protection (which Goodyear have done very well). If anyone could please advise which of the two I should go for with these in mind I'd be most grateful.

Cheers
Danny

·
Registered
649 Posts
Always my go to for tyre info -

·
Super Moderator
65,175 Posts
I’m slightly surprised you’re having ride-quality issues on 17’s?! PS5 are considered to be more comfortable (less ‘sporty’) than the PS4, so 5’s are your best bet for luxury.

Goodyear normally give you the best rim protection bars though.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,552 Posts
I’m not enjoying my rear PS5, wish I’d stuck with PS4 now. However if I had a full set they may be better.

·
Super Moderator
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m slightly surprised you’re having ride-quality issues on 17’s?! PS5 are considered to be more comfortable (less ‘sporty’) than the PS4, so 5’s are your best bet for luxury.

Goodyear normally give you the best rim protection bars though.
I posted about it a while back, but to summarise: we've got 2 F20s - both with vastly different ride qualities. Our 116d is on the budget Mazzini tyres (whoever they are?!) we bought the car with and glides over imperfections perfectly. With my 118i, every single bump jolts the cabin - not hugely but enough to become irritating.

I’m not enjoying my rear PS5, wish I’d stuck with PS4 now. However if I had a full set they may be better.
I was considering to change 2 tyres now and 2 later, sounds like a bad idea so thank you for that!

Always my go to for tyre info -
That was useful, cheers Jason. Definitely confirms what Marco said re. comfort of PS5 and also their lower level of rim protection compared to Goodyear ASY.

Many thanks all for your replies. Looks like I've got a bit of a decision to make in terms of whether I want to risk kerb rash for comfort! If it's the only way I can get rid of the cabin vibration perhaps the decision is already made really.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The GY asym 5 were pretty comfortable- I think your dampers might be the issue not the tyre.. the 5s are pretty soft and comfortable from my experience I don’t think ps4/5 will fix your issue

·
Super Moderator
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The GY asym 5 were pretty comfortable- I think your dampers might be the issue not the tyre.. the 5s are pretty soft and comfortable from my experience I don’t think ps4/5 will fix your issue
Funnily enough, we changed the tyres for PS5s yesterday.

I'm happy to say that it feels like a different car. No more judder on uneven road surfaces, no more crashing off speed bumps, and it doesn't sound like you've popped a tyre every time you go over a minor pothole :LOL:

Unfortunately I don't even drive the car anymore, it's now my mother's but lucky her I guess!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I've had ps4 , ps4S and ps5 on my cars and the PS5 on my 140i with quaife diff and stage 1 are fantastic 👏 I went out the other night in what can only be described as torrential rain and it was brilliant and just laid the power down so well 👍

·
Super Moderator
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had ps4 , ps4S and ps5 on my cars and the PS5 on my 140i with quaife diff and stage 1 are fantastic 👏 I went out the other night in what can only be described as torrential rain and it was brilliant and just laid the power down so well 👍
Absolutely agreed, just swapped the Bridgestone RFTs on my 420d for 4x PS4S and am really pleased with them. An excellent turn-in and the ride has become a lot more refined. Car feels absolutely glued to the road!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Absolutely agreed, just swapped the Bridgestone RFTs on my 420d for 4x PS4S and am really pleased with them. An excellent turn-in and the ride has become a lot more refined. Car feels absolutely glued to the road!
That sounds really strange. RFTs are very mediocre of-course but the only positive you could acknowledge of them is the direct turn-in, as a result of the much stiffer sidewall compared to non-RFT tires.

Even MORE so compared to Michelins which are known for their soft and compliant sidewall, even against non-RFT UHP tires like the Contis, Goodyears, Vredestein etc. I'm only assuming the pressures have a changed a bit?

Ride comfort on Michelins no question about it, they are comfier in 19" than non-RFT Potenzas in 18", let alone compared to RFTs and as far as pure traction is concerned they offer absurd amounts of it even in the rain, just that turn-in impression you mentioned somehow doesn't add up to me.

@OP: I don't think there's any reason to pick PS4 over PS5 now that those are out, they appear to be an improvement on every field, lifetime included. I say over PS4, not PS4S! as those are a different tire and still offer more traction and sportiness than the PS5, but wear is pretty poor, and they don't come in 18" anyway.

·
Super Moderator
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sounds really strange. RFTs are very mediocre of-course but the only positive you could acknowledge of them is the direct turn-in, as a result of the much stiffer sidewall compared to non-RFT tires.
Sorry if I wasn't clear - the turn-in itself isn't noticeably better, I just wanted to say that it is good. Comfort and grip are superior however.

@OP: I don't think there's any reason to pick PS4 over PS5 now that those are out, they appear to be an improvement on every field, lifetime included. I say over PS4, not PS4S! as those are a different tire and still offer more traction and sportiness than the PS5, but wear is pretty poor, and they don't come in 18" anyway.
We've resolved the issue in the original post by replacing the Goodyear ASY5's on the 118i to Michelin PS5's (note the conversation above re. PS4S is about my 420d, which was on Bridgestone RFTs). Don't think I'll be buying Goodyear for a while now!

Reactions: mlcman

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear - the turn-in itself isn't noticeably better, I just wanted to say that it is good. Comfort and grip are superior however.

We've resolved the issue in the original post by replacing the Goodyear ASY5's on the 118i to Michelin PS5's (note the conversation above re. PS4S is about my 420d, which was on Bridgestone RFTs). Don't think I'll be buying Goodyear for a while now!
You know I didn't even realize you were the OP when you wrote "incidentally we replaced with PS5 yesterday... etc.. etc..." but another member? 😵😵

I should get to bed soon, it's been a long week this one...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts