Baby BMW Forum banner
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Silky99 said:
Wow, interior is looking really smart! I also have the gaiters and wheel trimmed by RSW and the work is top notch.
Yes, thanks. A Clubsport gearknob next.. Then I'm done.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Spoiler alert:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Yo Sam..
It's part number 9189048 and was fitted to many of the E8x cars around that age.
Yes it's a very welcome upgrade. The function buttons are what's missing from the original single button unit. It looks much more modern too.. And I do think it has a little less lag than the original. I'm well happy.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
RoyBoy777 said:
Have to agree. It makes scrolling through the idrive so much easier. It's one of my favourites I have done. Did you have to do any coding with yours ? Wibbles spent about 5 min coding mine to make all the buttons to work properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No coding required in my case.. I got lucky.
I hear idrive upgrades are sometimes needed too.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I fitted the Mishimoto silicon N52 intake pipe this evening. What an improvment.
I suffered from a little drone at motorway speeds that I suspected was the sound generator that the 130i has, reading up on the subject I was ready trial a straight silicon air feed to fully remove this sound generator.

The drone has been reduced by a considerable amont. It's also added a more angrier engine noise when really on it. The loud howl/bellow has been replaced by a more mecahnical and angry noise, if that makes sense?. More E46 M3 to my ears.

My original stock intake with the foam at the end had perished, that could've contributed to the drone too ?

How much over engneering!!!??!!

Well worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
That's good to hear.

I've noticed a slight drone on mine too. As soon as the valvetronic issue is sorted, I'll be popping in a Mishimoto pipe.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Yeah it's quietened it down nicely. I cannot (yet) think of any reason not to swap out that original pipe with a straight through pipe.
Maybe the sound generator without the intake and exhaust adds some needed volume into the cabin, but a little too much with all three in the mix.?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·

A dry fit of the m135i brakes confirmed that the LE 216m wheels do not require spacing which is a great result. I get 3mm of clearance, just.
When I get around to it the calipers are going to be rubbed down, painted in BMW Pheonix yellow with dark grey brembo decals.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
They're going to look ace behind the wheels.

Did you manage to pick a pair up for sensible money? Thy seem pretty pricey these days on eBay.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
SamM140 said:
They're going to look ace behind the wheels.

Did you manage to pick a pair up for sensible money? Thy seem pretty pricey these days on eBay.
Yes.. yes they will!

I picked up this set with a re-threaded bleed nipple thread (quite a common issue I've read) for fair money, not a super deal but not too bad with postage included. Considering postage would be a fair amount as they weigh a tonne.

The repair is excellent, so I'm good to go after a refurb in Phoenix yellow and the new brembo decals as I detest the ///M badges on the calipers.
I'm unsure if DIY is the correct way forward for these so I have a quote from my local body shop who can do the work if I decide.

I do need to locate some suitable discs too.

One other aim is to replace the stock calipers that are so prone to seazing up, I had 5 calipers replaced due to that issue on my last 130 over 10 years.

All added up it will be a silly amount of cash for essentially a visual impact, I doubt I'll track the car so won't ever notice the benefit..

But..... they're gonna look the shiz!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
MED said:
All added up it will be a silly amount of cash for essentially a visual impact, I doubt I'll track the car so won't ever notice the benefit…
I thought they were quite a good upgrade even for relaxed driving, you get a lot more pedal to play with on the Brembos but none of it is slop once they're properly bled. The old brakes were like an on/off switch in comparison!

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
MED said:
But..... they're gonna look the shiz!
That's the important bit!

The old callipers do look gash. They work well enough, they just look poo. I'll leave mine as is for now but will give them a lime of paint (I'm thinking grey at the moment with black retaining springs).

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Nyxeris said:
MED said:
All added up it will be a silly amount of cash for essentially a visual impact, I doubt I'll track the car so won't ever notice the benefit…
I thought they were quite a good upgrade even for relaxed driving, you get a lot more pedal to play with on the Brembos but none of it is slop once they're properly bled. The old brakes were like an on/off switch in comparison!
That's good to know. Thanks for the insight.
It's going to be a little while yet before I get around to either doing a DIY refurb or dropping them into the bodyshop.
Maybe a job for the winter.
Especially as the current front discs and pads are like new with next to zero wear on them..

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·

The DA polisher made an appearance today.
Scholl S20 Black with some Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub to finish.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Looking good.

Carbon Black is such a nice colour, but it's a ******* to keep clean / blemish free.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Yes agreed!
It's a lovely colour when the sunshine catches it. But that also gives away the swirls.
The S20 got rid of them all with some of the deeper stuff needing more work for another day.. I was lucky that the previous owner kept it well so I have to deal only with minimal swirls.
I could really tell when moving the torch from an unpolished area to a polished area, the light sprays from the torch reflection disapeared on the polished areas.

I wish the chemeleon blue effect would come out more often though as most of the time it just looks black.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts