Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering getting an M2 Competition soon but had a few questions. It would be a mixture of daily (well, two days a week) driver for my wife, 'fast road' use in Northumberland, some European trips and the odd track day. Planning to take it Litchfields for stage 1 and Bilsteins.

1. Do all M2Cs have folding rear seats?
1a. What's the Through Loading option?
2. I've been told (by someone trying to sell me a DCT) that the manual gear boxes/clutches are heavy and difficult. How true is this?
3. There's an Adaptive Headlights option but there seem to by many types of AH offered by BMW on different cars. How do these work?
4. The option for Upgraded Brakes - necessary/desirable/wasted for the above sort of usage?
5. Anything to look out for/ask about on a test drive?
6. If I'm going to Litchfields, any other recommended mods?
7. Does it have a media system with local storage (there's an entire 20G on my M135i! ;-) )?
8. Is there a way to reduce the car's power? I'm thinking of a 'snow mode', 'valet mode' or simply for until my wife gets used to the car.
9. My insurance company have said that I'd need to have an S5 tracker fitted. Any issues with these on the M2C?
10. Do the electric seats slide forward in the same way as the manual ones when you're trying to get into the back seats?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
925 Posts
Hi Mike

See my responses below.

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering getting an M2 Competition soon but had a few questions. It would be a mixture of daily (well, two days a week) driver for my wife, 'fast road' use in Northumberland, some European trips and the odd track day. Planning to take it Litchfields for stage 1 and Bilsteins.

1. Do all M2Cs have folding rear seats?
  • Yes, I believe so
1a. What's the Through Loading option?
  • I think that gives you the folding arm rest on the back seats that allows longer items to come through from the boot (like skis).
2. I've been told (by someone trying to sell me a DCT) that the manual gear boxes/clutches are heavy and difficult. How true is this?
  • Nonsense. BMW manuals aren't the best, but they're not heavy or difficult. Pretty rare on the M2C though.
3. There's an Adaptive Headlights option but there seem to by many types of AH offered by BMW on different cars. How do these work?
  • The adaptive lights on my car follow the steering angle (option S552).
4. The option for Upgraded Brakes - necessary/desirable/wasted for the above sort of usage?
  • I think it would be a 'nice to have' for track days. Most opinions I have heard say they're overkill for most situations.
5. Anything to look out for/ask about on a test drive?
  • Double flashing indicators (known fault with the rears not working and causing a fault).
  • Full service history in the iDrive
  • Feel the brakes, checking for judder. It seems that warped discs is fairly common (from anecdotal evidence).
6. If I'm going to Litchfields, any other recommended mods?
  • I would consider MHD (or BM3) for a stage one map. Good value, loads of configurable options and well tested by literally thousands of people.
7. Does it have a media system with local storage (there's an entire 20G on my M135i! ;-) )?
  • There is local storage. I don't think it's changed; still likely 20GB available for user storage. I use a 256GB USB stick or my phone to stream music.
8. Is there a way to reduce the car's power? I'm thinking of a 'snow mode', 'valet mode' or simply for until my wife gets used to the car.
  • See point 6. MHD has a switchable map function (a few seconds to switch maps from the steering wheel) and 50% power can be selected.
9. My insurance company have said that I'd need to have an S5 tracker fitted. Any issues with these on the M2C?
  • I have a tracker on my car.
10. Do the electric seats slide forward in the same way as the manual ones when you're trying to get into the back seats?
  • There's a rocker switch. A quick tap will slide it all the way forward at double speed. A reverse tap sends it back to where it was.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Sorry for the delay but I really appreciated your response. Thanks for the comprehensive answers, and thanks for restoring my faith that internet forums can give a straight answer to a straight question :) Looks like I've got a bit more research on the stage 1 and a few more questions for Litchfield.

I'm definitely feeling more confident that the M2C is the right car.

Thanks again,

Mike

Reactions: Major_Sarcasm
1 - 3 of 3 Posts