Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All,

Recently welcomed a baby boy into our family and have been pondering about a change in car.

The pram/car seat in and out of rear is making me think this as it is not ideal.

I've been looking at 340i Tourings (few and far between) and 440i Gran Coupes which seem to have ample space for myself, wife, baby boy and dog.

Has anyone ever made the switch and if so to what? or did you stick with the 235i?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
367 Posts
340i Touring would be the one for me, especially if there's potential for a family day out since it would give the dog a bit more room!

Reactions: J3oef

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,548 Posts
I've never had anything but 3dr/coupe cars with my kids, even when newborn. We've had whatever car I owned, plus my wife's E91 and there isn't much difference in terms of children with either car tbh. Maybe when they are new born and in rear facing seats a 5dr car is slightly easier, but that phase soon goes and after that any 3dr/coupe is pretty much fine.

A coupe is easier getting kids into a front facing child seat as you can lift them in from the front with the seat forward, rather than sideways. Boot space doesn't have much in it. Our E91 is only more useful than my 240, or the 3dr E81 or 3dr Focus ST I had before that, when going on holiday as you can fit a bit more in the estate roof bit.

But other than that, nothing wrong with a coupe as a family car.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,548 Posts
And congrats on the new arrival, times flies and before you know it he will be 15 and you won't even know where he is some nights. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4GC sounds like a good plan to me.
I was going to get one prior to the M235 so only natural I thought about it again. They seem to have huge boots which some say are just as usable as a tourer.

340i Touring would be the one for me, especially if there's potential for a family day out since it would give the dog a bit more room!
I do like the look of them, was never a fan of estates but they have grown on me I must say. Dog in the boot? You don't know my dog haha! She would be on my lap when driving if she could.

I don't know what the 4GC drives like but for me it would be the 340i T.
Any reason? or just looks wise? Boots are not too dissimilar in terms of capacity.

I've never had anything but 3dr/coupe cars with my kids, even when newborn. We've had whatever car I owned, plus my wife's E91 and there isn't much difference in terms of children with either car tbh. Maybe when they are new born and in rear facing seats a 5dr car is slightly easier, but that phase soon goes and after that any 3dr/coupe is pretty much fine.

A coupe is easier getting kids into a front facing child seat as you can lift them in from the front with the seat forward, rather than sideways. Boot space doesn't have much in it. Our E91 is only more useful than my 240, or the 3dr E81 or 3dr Focus ST I had before that, when going on holiday as you can fit a bit more in the estate roof bit.

But other than that, nothing wrong with a coupe as a family car.
I always had the approach of, it's fine but trying to put a JOIE pram/carry cot in the boot was a right PITA. I know it is not forever and we can probably manage, but head is telling me to be sensible and change haha!!

And congrats on the new arrival, times flies and before you know it he will be 15 and you won't even know where he is some nights. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks :) Time is already flying and its just over 4 weeks. I'm not dreading those teenage years as much as I would if it was a girl!!!

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,548 Posts
Thanks :) Time is already flying and its just over 4 weeks. I'm not dreading those teenage years as much as I would if it was a girl!!!
My daughter is 11 so just on the brink of all that. 😬

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
We switched to estates when the family arrived and had a series of them: BMW 320i Touring, BMW 525tds Touring, Audi 100 Avant, BMW 528i Touring, Volvo V70 3.0T Estate, Mercedes C200 Kompressor estate, Jaguar 3.0L AWD Estate, BMW 330d xDrive Touring and then the M235i Convertible. The only exception was a Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0D, which we found really didn't work as well as the estates - bigger external dimensions for less useful interior load space (although the seating position was nice and high). For a few years we added a long roof box for when we went skiing with the family. So as you may guess, I'm going to say that an estate is a great compromise solution. Of course, if you have the funds, you can go for the new M3 Touring if you want the performance. WHen they were older and we had to carry a load of stuff on holidays, we got a towbar and trailer which worked very well, and the trailer was really useful for taking stuff to the tip without having to ruin the interior fo the car.

All I'd say is to get the panoramic sunroof: it makes the interior seem much more spacious and airy.

We're back in an M235i Convertible now but that has a toddler seat for our granddaughter and it works surprisingly well - better than I expected, albeit that we're not trying to carry all her paraphenalia as well.

The 330d xDrive Touring 2013:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've had coupes from my kids being babies. Had an e92 and had m235i for last 4 years, still do the school run on Fridays and kids are 6 snd 8. We have had an F11 for family trips though for last 8 years. Definitely recommend the panoramic sunroof, so good on holidays and road trips. Thinking of an A4 Avant quattro next as 4wd for camping and towing our trailer in muddy fields.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We switched to estates when the family arrived and had a series of them: BMW 320i Touring, BMW 525tds Touring, Audi 100 Avant, BMW 528i Touring, Volvo V70 3.0T Estate, Jaguar 3.0L AWD Estate, BMW 330d xDrive Touring and then the M235i Convertible. The only exception was a Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0D, which we found really didn't work as well as the estates - bigger external dimensions for less useful interior load space (although the seating position was nice and high). For a few years we added a long roof box for when we went skiing with the family. So as you may guess, I'm going to say that an estate is a great compromise solution. Of course, if you have the funds, you can go for the new M3 Touring if you want the performance. WHen they were older and we had to carry a load of stuff on holidays, we got a towbar and trailer which worked very well, and the trailer was really useful for taking stuff to the tip without having to ruin the interior fo the car.

All I'd say is to get the panoramic sunroof: it makes the interior seem much more spacious and airy.

We're back in an M235i Convertible now but that has a toddler seat for our granddaughter and it works surprisingly well - better than I expected, albeit that we're not trying to carry all her paraphenalia as well.

The 330d xDrive Touring 2013:

That panoramic sunroof makes a real difference. I’ve seen a nice touring which ticks a few boxes but doesn’t have HK or adaptive if that’s a thing in the touring.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had coupes from my kids being babies. Had an e92 and had m235i for last 4 years, still do the school run on Fridays and kids are 6 snd 8. We have had an F11 for family trips though for last 8 years. Definitely recommend the panoramic sunroof, so good on holidays and road trips. Thinking of an A4 Avant quattro next as 4wd for camping and towing our trailer in muddy fields.
Maybe the 235 will be fine for me I don’t know! Maybe I just want a change and am trying to make a reason up, I’m not sure 🙂 think the 5 series would be a little too big for what I need but the 3 would fit the bill if I found one with all the gadgets

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,548 Posts
Are they completely different to the 235? Do they come with adaptive ?
Handling on our E91 is stiffer than on my 240. They do handle very well.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That panoramic sunroof makes a real difference. I’ve seen a nice touring which ticks a few boxes but doesn’t have HK or adaptive if that’s a thing in the touring.
Our 330d xDrive Touring didn't have the adaptive suspension and on the basis of having it on the M235i, I'd say that I wouldn't let it's absence put me off if everything else was right. But what you might find is that the ride will be sensitive to the wheel size: ours was 17" wheels and a bit on the 'floaty' side: I suspect 18" would be firmer, but withut being too harsh.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our 330d xDrive Touring didn't have the adaptive suspension and on the basis of having it on the M235i, I'd say that I wouldn't let it's absence put me off if everything else was right. But what you might find is that the ride will be sensitive to the wheel size: ours was 17" wheels and a bit on the 'floaty' side: I suspect 18" would be firmer, but withut being too harsh.
I find the handling on my 235i a bit floaty/boat like at higher speeds and that's on 18s with adaptive.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I agree with mse, adaptives on the Tourer not essential. Avoid RF's like the plague, mine came with RF's but when changed to normal rubber, became a different car.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,548 Posts
Ours is on 18” and isn’t adaptive. Never had any issues with it in terms of ride quality.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts