Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of questions if I may. I'm used to old school standalone satnav, where I can add safety camera sub.

Regarding the F87 M2 (LCI) can anyone advise:
1 How to check map version and how it is updated, along with cost. I'm assuming it's via some connection or other rather than physical update
2 Does the integrated BMW system include safety camera info already, or is that available as a bolt on that integrates into the main system?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
4,029 Posts
Hopping in because nobody else has... Get yourself retrofitted with Carplay/AA and use Waze. It's on par with the subs for cameras nowadays, and it includes alerts for potholes, incidents and other stuff. Like all modern tech it's free, you pay because it steals all your personal info.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopping in because nobody else has... Get yourself retrofitted with Carplay/AA and use Waze. It's on par with the subs for cameras nowadays, and it includes alerts for potholes, incidents and other stuff. Like all modern tech it's free, you pay because it steals all your personal info.
Thanks for the info.
Do you mean Apple CarPlay? If so the car I'm looking at has that specced, If that's the key though I'll start some digging around, though any pointers as to how to load these things up are always welcomed.

·
Administrator
4,029 Posts
Yep, CarPlay clones your iPhone's display to the car, you get (mostly) full control of maps, music apps, phone calls and other supported apps as if they were on the car to begin with.

Grab Waze off the app store and give it a try on your phone – the only difference through CarPlay is the user interface changes to work better on the car's screen 👍

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, CarPlay clones your iPhone's display to the car, you get (mostly) full control of maps, music apps, phone calls and other supported apps as if they were on the car to begin with.

Grab Waze off the app store and give it a try on your phone – the only difference through CarPlay is the user interface changes to work better on the car's screen 👍
Ahhh, so would it be accurate to say that Waze via iPhone (mine isn't latest but is iOS 15.5) is more of a screen mirroring using the car's display as an extension of the Phone, with iOS as the common layer, and as such this approach doesn't need any further changes to the car's software - so if it recognises the phone all should work?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a 2019 m140i. I needed to pay to activate CarPlay and speed cameras were NOT available to purchase in standard nav. So you can use that on the perspective purchase as a rough guide.

on CarPlay, I’d second what @Nyxeris said. Use that with Waze. You don’t need to code anything, just connect the phone and it works. Traffic alerts, police and cameras are all more up to date there as they are real time reports by other drivers

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brill, many thanks for giving this troglodyte some insight to what's going on nowadays!
;)

(actually I do like my tech, just not that up to date with today's gen of car systems!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts