Baby BMW Forum banner

M140i ZF 8 Speed Traction when Accelerating Hard from Stand-still

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  m140ijames 
Hi Icelink. Thanks for the reply.

I get what you are saying about there being so many variables.

I did try to keep the conditions as similar as possible when doing my second run, compared to the first. But I must admit, I didn’t check the tyre temperatures beforehand, so this could be a factor.

Do you know if there is some credence in what I hear some people say about pulling off in 2nd gear? And if there is a way to not have to continue manually shifting yourself once 2nd gear has been manually selected?

Thanks again!
As you have found out, selecting sport on the drive selector switch changes to a more aggressive throttle map and also changes the shift points. However the gearbox has its own sports mode (sorry if you know all this) accessed by pushing the gear selector to the left. In this mode the gearbox is in full auto sport mode and will hold on to the red line or if you select a paddle you are in full manual mode (unlike pulling a paddle with the gear selector pushed to the right) and can shift whenever you like.

To start in second gear ensure the gearbox is in sports mode (selector to the left) and pull a paddle from rest to go into second gear. Drive away and with select 3/4/5/6/7/8rd gear manually or push the gear selector back to the right and it will go into automatic.

Was I drunk then? 🤣 or maybe that’s because TC was intervening less so more power was “put down”?
I've no idea, but the different drive modes provide different throttle maps and gear change points. Obviously eco pro can change coasting, air con etc, but it still gives the same power and torque. I've seen a sub 5 second 0-60 done in eco pro!

ISTR the sport+ throttle map is less aggressive than sport. There used to be a table somewhere on here that gave all the various permutations.

Edit: table from the FAQ.

Font Line Rectangle Material property Parallel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.