Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 M140i Auto
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently posted the below as part of another thread, but I thought that it deserved it’s own thread so that my question didn’t get lost amidst the other.

So apologies if you have already read the below on another thread that I made.

Right! So I seem to be getting mixed results on my stand-still accelerations in my M140i Auto when accelerating hard in Sport mode. The other day I got the car to find traction and pull hard right off the line, but I tried the same thing the day after and I was fighting the wheel-spin off the line and couldn’t get anywhere near the same hard pull.

On both occasions, the roads were completely dry and I was running MPSS tyres all round. I have heard some people say to use 2nd gear from stand-still when accelerating hard, but if I want to keep the gearbox in ‘auto’ mode, then selecting 2nd gear would put the gearbox temporarily in ‘manual’ mode, which it then seems to want to hold on to, instead of changing up for you! (I want the auto gearbox to do the changing up for me - as it’s quicker than I am! - but just to start off in 2nd gear, as long as this is the option that gives more traction!)

The other thing that I heard some people say is that I should be using Sport+ (Traction mode but with DSC disengaged) for stand-still accelerations, as this would give me more traction off the line?? But I thought that this would give me less traction off the line! I am too new at all of this!

I haven’t even considered using Launch Control yet and I don’t intend to for the time being - not just yet anyway!

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Was there any difference in terms of how long you drove the car prior to doing those two different pulls? Tyre temperature can affect the results. It would be hard to answer your question correctly due to so many variables that can affect acceleration. I’ve tried launch control a few times. Sometimes it gave me lots of wheel spin, sometimes nothing.

·
Registered
2017 M140i Auto
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was there any difference in terms of how long you drove the car prior to doing those two different pulls? Tyre temperature can affect the results. It would be hard to answer your question correctly due to so many variables that can affect acceleration. I’ve tried launch control a few times. Sometimes it gave me lots of wheel spin, sometimes nothing.
Hi Icelink. Thanks for the reply.

I get what you are saying about there being so many variables.

I did try to keep the conditions as similar as possible when doing my second run, compared to the first. But I must admit, I didn’t check the tyre temperatures beforehand, so this could be a factor.

Do you know if there is some credence in what I hear some people say about pulling off in 2nd gear? And if there is a way to not have to continue manually shifting yourself once 2nd gear has been manually selected?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hi Icelink. Thanks for the reply.

I get what you are saying about there being so many variables.

I did try to keep the conditions as similar as possible when doing my second run, compared to the first. But I must admit, I didn’t check the tyre temperatures beforehand, so this could be a factor.

Do you know if there is some credence in what I hear some people say about pulling off in 2nd gear? And if there is a way to not have to continue manually shifting yourself once 2nd gear has been manually selected?

Thanks again!
As you have found out, selecting sport on the drive selector switch changes to a more aggressive throttle map and also changes the shift points. However the gearbox has its own sports mode (sorry if you know all this) accessed by pushing the gear selector to the left. In this mode the gearbox is in full auto sport mode and will hold on to the red line or if you select a paddle you are in full manual mode (unlike pulling a paddle with the gear selector pushed to the right) and can shift whenever you like.

To start in second gear ensure the gearbox is in sports mode (selector to the left) and pull a paddle from rest to go into second gear. Drive away and with select 3/4/5/6/7/8rd gear manually or push the gear selector back to the right and it will go into automatic.

·
Registered
2017 M140i Auto
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you have found out, selecting sport on the drive selector switch changes to a more aggressive throttle map and also changes the shift points. However the gearbox has its own sports mode (sorry if you know all this) accessed by pushing the gear selector to the left. In this mode the gearbox is in full auto sport mode and will hold on to the red line or if you select a paddle you are in full manual mode (unlike pulling a paddle with the gear selector pushed to the right) and can shift whenever you like.

To start in second gear ensure the gearbox is in sports mode (selector to the left) and pull a paddle from rest to go into second gear. Drive away and with select 3/4/5/6/7/8rd gear manually or push the gear selector back to the right and it will go into automatic.
Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this markm240i.

I must admit, I haven’t tried hard acceleration from a standing start with the gearbox in Sport mode yet.

I will give this a go (gear lever to the left in Sports transmission mode) whilst pulling the paddle into 2nd gear from rest, engaging ‘manual’ mode.

I guess the proof will be how quickly the auto box ‘takes over’ from me again once I flick the gear lever back over to the right!

Hopefully I can get the traction benefit of taking off in 2nd gear whilst also benefitting from the faster gear changes of the auto box compared to my slower manual changes!

Has anyone compared fast acceleration from stand-still in Sport compared to Sport +?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Was I drunk then? 🤣 or maybe that’s because TC was intervening less so more power was “put down”?
I've no idea, but the different drive modes provide different throttle maps and gear change points. Obviously eco pro can change coasting, air con etc, but it still gives the same power and torque. I've seen a sub 5 second 0-60 done in eco pro!

ISTR the sport+ throttle map is less aggressive than sport. There used to be a table somewhere on here that gave all the various permutations.

Edit: table from the FAQ.

Font Line Rectangle Material property Parallel

·
Registered
58 Posts
For a quick launch.......select sport plus, push gear lever over and then back into manual mode.
Select 2nd gear (m2 on dash).
With foot on brake and handbrake off press throttle so it's showing 1500-2000 rpm.
Release brake and off you go accelerate to about 5000rpm and short shift to 3rd with manual paddle, then change to 4th about 6000 rpm then 5th and 6th etc all with manual etc.
I've done 0-60mph 3.74 and 11.6 second quarter mile with this technique on dragy and at Santa pod
Product Rectangle Azure Font Parallel

·
Registered
6 Posts
For a quick launch.......select sport plus, push gear lever over and then back into manual mode.
Select 2nd gear (m2 on dash).
With foot on brake and handbrake off press throttle so it's showing 1500-2000 rpm.
Release brake and off you go accelerate to about 5000rpm and short shift to 3rd with manual paddle, then change to 4th about 6000 rpm then 5th and 6th etc all with manual etc.
I've done 0-60mph 3.74 and 11.6 second quarter mile with this technique on dragy and at Santa pod View attachment 18516
Is your car stock?!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Check out his signature at the bottom of his post ⬆👍

Reactions: Woodyeee
1 - 13 of 13 Posts