1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking at a track day which has these noise limits:
98 dB(A) static
85 dB(A) driveby

These are lower than the normal limits, it's an MSV 'road car only' day at Oulton Park.

Any idea if my stock exhaust will be a problem for this? It's got a PPF. I'll want to have it in Sports as well for the adaptive suspension, which means the exhaust valve will be open.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Car Track Days | MSVT (msvtrackdays.com)
BRANDS HATCH
01474 872 331
Indy Circuit (Daytime) - 105dB(A)
Indy Circuit (Evening) - 102dB(A) Please note: we also run some events at 98dB(A). These events also have an 88dB(A) drive by limit. Please see the booking page of your event for details.
GP Circuit 101dB(A)
Brands Hatch also has a 92dB(A) drive-by limit which is measured at a distance of 20m.
OULTON PARK
01829 760 301
All circuits - 105dB(A)
Oulton Park also has a 92dB(A) drive-by limit which is measured at a distance of 20m.
CADWELL PARK
01507 343 248
All circuits - 105dB(A)
SNETTERTON
01507 343 248
Daytime - 105dB(A)
Evenings - 102dB(A)
Snetterton also has a 92dB(A) drive-by limit which is measured at a distance of 20m.
BEDFORD AUTODROME
01234 332 400
All circuits Daytime and Evening - 101db
Bedford Autodrome also has a 87.5dB(A) drive-by limit which is measured at a distance of 20m.
DONINGTON PARK
01332 810 048
All circuits - 98dB(drive by only)
Please note that we run some unsilenced events. Please see the booking page of your event for details.
More information

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
All vehicles have to be type approved before they can be sold to ensure they meet (amongst other things) noise and emission standards, so if your exhaust is stock it is road legal and should be fine.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,541 Posts
You should be fine, Oulton have always had lower noise limits due to the idiots that moved to a house next to a race circuit, then complained about noise!! 🙄

Make sure you’re in Comfort when they do the test. They only test at the start, not continuously.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,541 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully you're right. I don't think the car being standard or type approved necessarily means it will pass a noise test though - the limits seem pretty arbitrary and vary by track/day.

In this case they're a lot lower at 98/85db than Oulton's usual 105/92db.

The other thing that worries me is this example where an apparently stock exhaust (albeit running a JB4) got black flagged for 103db drive by testing at Donington: Update M140i Failed Noise Regulations (Now with Video) | Baby BMW Forum
Although from the other comments on that thread it seems like something wasn't quite right, either with the measurement or the car.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hopefully you're right. I don't think the car being standard or type approved necessarily means it will pass a noise test though - the limits seem pretty arbitrary and vary by track/day.

In this case they're a lot lower at 98/85db than Oulton's usual 105/92db.

The other thing that worries me is this example where an apparently stock exhaust (albeit running a JB4) got black flagged for 103db drive by testing at Donington: Update M140i Failed Noise Regulations (Now with Video) | Baby BMW Forum
Although from the other comments on that thread it seems like something wasn't quite right, either with the measurement or the car.
The type approval limit for a 2019 car is 72 dB.

85 dB is a LOT louder than 72 dB.

Cars & Noise | Vehicle Certification Agency (vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts