Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the bits to do the hot climate intake mod on my m140i, was wondering if anyone has a link to a diy guide? Theres a few bits im unsure on, firstly i cant see how the airbox comes out? No visible fasteners that i can see, then any pointers on the easiest way to do it and exactly what bits to take on an off ect would be very helpful. Aslo ive noticed people mentioned removing the foam and baffle in the bottom of the airbox but can only find limited info on why and what it does? Thanks

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
A while since I did it, but it wasn't difficult, just a little fiddly.

From memory, loosen jubilee clip on turbo pipe. Hard tug on air box to release it from the rubber bungs. Pull the snorkel pipe out and remove the old end rubber piece. Remove left hand grille. Remove blanking plate. Feed new rubber elbow through hole and get the lip to seal the hole. Fit grille insert. Insert snorkel back in and push it into other side of new elbow piece. That bit is fiddly. Then fit everything back as it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do you need to buy the intake mod . elbow and grill , I've been reading through and some people have just taken the cap off the air box behind the grill

·
Registered
264 Posts
Take off the top of the airbox and put it to the side on the engine, just pull the bottom of the airbox up off it's 3 rubber mounts. You also need to remove the left grill to be able to properly fit the rubber elbow and grill panel

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
CoupeSilver said:
What on earth is a hot climate intake mod?
The intake on the MX40i is convoluted as std but you can have it suck in air direct from behind the grill (just in front of the rad to the side) if you remove a plastic panel and fiddle about with the pipes a bit. You can see the blanking panel easily if you look in on the LHS. The upside is possibly cooler air, the downside is easier water ingress if you go through a deep ford. On a std car in the UK it isn't really worth it as the ECU wont take advantage, it'll just compensate and run lower boost, on a tuned car it probably is as it may give you a degree or two of lower intake temp, more power and more margin away from pre-det and disaster.

It wouldn't surprise me though if in fact the area within the grill is actually a low pressure zone or at least area of extreme turbulence, meaning that you are in fact no better off. I would want to see some proper fluid flow analysis before I would be sure it was actually an improvement!

·
Registered
192 Posts
padders said:
CoupeSilver said:
It wouldn't surprise me though if in fact the area within the grill is actually a low pressure zone or at least area of extreme turbulence, meaning that you are in fact no better off. I would want to see some proper fluid flow analysis before I would be sure it was actually an improvement!
It will be a reliably high pressure area. BMW designed it to feed the radiators.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
MSM said:
padders said:
CoupeSilver said:
It will be a reliably high pressure area. BMW designed it to feed the radiators.
Basic Bernoulli's theorem shows that if there were a steady stream of air through the rad then an intake at 90º to that stream (like the hot climate intake is) will actually be under slight vacuum not under positive pressure wrt to the flow through the rad. In reality it will be more complicated than that as there wont be smooth laminar flow through the rad. Fluid dynamics is not straight forward and isnt always logical or intuitive. It might be an area of slight overpressure or it might not, the main benefit might be in temperature not pressure. Cold air intakes are often just smoke and mirrors generating more sound than actual power and aftermarket ones often lead to warmer air being ingested. The BMW one might lead to an improvement its true but if it were that wonderful, why not have the intake there from the start?

·
Registered
244 Posts
It is already there in other countries just not the UK as it's not a 'Hot climate' and bmw could save a few £ not putting it in UK cars, for around £30 i think it's worth it certainly not doing any harm having it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
padders said:
Science…
Remember, when it matters most the turbo will be gulping in air, creating negative pressure at the intake(s). I think a larger bore, larger and less convoluted flow to the lower side of the air box would be preferable, but I've just started here, and people will have been looking at this over the last 4 years!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm sure I read on here that someone measured the intake temps before and after and noticed an approx 5 degree drop with the cold air duct fitted.

Disclaimer: I regularly talk boll**ks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
padders said:
MSM said:
padders said:
Basic Bernoulli's theorem shows that if there were a steady stream of air through the rad then an intake at 90º to that stream (like the hot climate intake is) will actually be under slight vacuum not under positive pressure wrt to the flow through the rad. In reality it will be more complicated than that as there wont be smooth laminar flow through the rad. Fluid dynamics is not straight forward and isnt always logical or intuitive. It might be an area of slight overpressure or it might not, the main benefit might be in temperature not pressure. Cold air intakes are often just smoke and mirrors generating more sound than actual power and aftermarket ones often lead to warmer air being ingested. The BMW one might lead to an improvement its true but if it were that wonderful, why not have the intake there from the start?
Basic automotive aerodynamic design principles suggest that the radiator intake area on the front of a car will be located in such a manner that it facilitates a high pressure area in front of the radiators in order to drive the cooling air through the radiator package. With the engine running and the vehicle moving forwards, the engine intake to the airbox will be running at a lower pressure relative to the pre radiator intake area.

I can recommend "Modifying the Aerodynamics of Your Road Car: Step-by-step instructions to improve the aerodynamics of road cars"
by Julian Edgar, Richard H. Barnard as an excellent text on how road car aerodynamics work and how to measure and modify them. I have, in the past, helped take pressure differential measurements with magnehelic gauges sampling from various points on other performance cars. The radiator intake area at the front of the car was consistently a high pressure area, which was to be expected.

The M2, which is a performance-centered model, does have this intake from the pre-radiator feed area as standard.

The M4 also takes both airbox feeds from the radiator intake area too.

I suspect that there may be various economy/emissions/noise/cost related reasons for the default M140i not getting this as standard in the UK. I say cost saving may be a consideration as, for example, BMW fitted dimming mirrors on both sides on the e8x generation of cars with auto dimming option, and then they fitted only the driver side dimming mirror on the f2x series in the UK, apparently to save on the cost of one LCD dimmable mirror glass and some additional wiring.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is a specific hot climate air duct and grille set for the m140i. The part numbers for the m140 kit will be shown in at least one or two previous threads on the hot climate intake mod. I would suggest a quick forum search.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Before spending on this I would ask the manufacturer for the evidence that I makes a measurable difference in temperature/pressure over the hot climate mod on its own. That area on the car will be a high pressure by design, looking at the area of the air scoop opening compared to the area of the grill on the OE hot climate kit feed air the scoop could potentially interfere/restrict flow into the system. It would be good to know that it is of genuine benefit rather than just looking like it should work. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts