• The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M140i door lock malfunction

Can't embed the video for some reason.

Any ideas what is going on? My '67 plate M140i F20 did this for about 24 hours when unlocking (with key or indoor button). It was only the one door (offside rear). Didn't matter if door was opened and shut again. Didn't affect the lock at all. Did it every time until it didn't... I initially assumed mechanical, but with it sorting itself overnight, assuming it must be something electrical/software, but not sure.

It has behaved itself fine since (about a month) - not sure if I should mention to garage at next service and get them to dig around, or just see if it continues to behave!

·
Registered
110 Posts
As usual with modern cars, could be a few things. Main candidate looks electrical as that's what powers the door opening/locking solenoid (actuator to some). May have just been some damp in the electrics :unsure:
If it's behaving I would let it go for now, if you ask them to investigate it, may end up costing you a lot of money for no definite outcome. Just IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, cheers. That was my train of thought - if it's behaving currently, then probably nothing to find.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this, or if it is something that is known about.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Okay, cheers. That was my train of thought - if it's behaving currently, then probably nothing to find.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this, or if it is something that is known about.
I would get the battery tested, a shot battery can throw random faults.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had same kind of problem, other way around, right back door didnt lock but others would. It only happened when there was temperature changes or lot of moisture in the air. I did open rubber tab from that door that didnt lock and sprayed contact spray into door cavity. Havent had that problem since

1 - 7 of 7 Posts